Getting custom rifle built, would like some opinions please.

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

ARIES

Getting custom rifle built, would like some opinions please.

#1 Postby ARIES » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:02 am

Hi, Im new to the forum and relativly new to Target shooting aswell.
I will be getting a Custom .308 rifle made in a few months and was wondering
if I could get some opinions from people here as to how they think it would go
It will be used as a hunting rifle aswell as for target shooting but i dont think
ive made any compramises and as far as i can see, it should do both very well....

This is what Im looking at currently and have been given a estimate
from a gunsmith of around $4,000..

Diamond back single shot with a Tac style bolt knob fitted,
30inch barrel,
A4 Mcmillan stock in black with adjustables
jewel HVR +guard,
rings,
In a matte black duracoat finish.

The main thing which I was stuck on was finding a stock that would be good for both,
Hunting / prone shooting and Bench rest.. I shoot in F-Standard but was
trying to make a rifle that would give me the option of many types of shooting...

Any thoughts on the price i was quoted?
How good do you guys think this would go for what i want to do?
What classes would I be able to compete in with this rifle?

Thanks in advance,
Dale Christopher.

littlebang556

project

#2 Postby littlebang556 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Sounds like you are on to a good thing but if it were me I would be opting for the full F-Class stock instead of the A-4...It will give you better stability on rests than the small parallel A-4 whilst still being manoverable enough for hunting.

Have fun

Regards

Robert Alman

bully_eye

#3 Postby bully_eye » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:30 am

Sounds like a good setup. Rifle would be able to be used in Full Bore, F Class Standard and Open and long range benchrest but you might consider a switch barrel option if you want to shoot open and benchrest...not because a 308 isn't competitive but you'll be shooting against potentially ballistically superior chamberings and on the F Open target and benchrest you need all the help you can get. I'M NOT 308 BASHING EITHER IF ANYONE THINKS I AM!!!
As for long range benchrest...and even F Open to a point...you're getting into a compromise area. The stock isn't really designed for benchrest and while of course you can shoot off a bipod a purpose built stock on a sturdy pedestal type benchrest stand would be a better option. Will also be bloody heavy and big for a hunting rifle but all depends on where you are hunting and what you're shooting at.
You have a decent scope? If so that will save you plenty but don't spend all the money on the rifle and skimp on the optics...you can't hit what you can't see. Also if your gunsmith can do it, consider having them cut you some reloading dies using the reamer they use to cut your chamber...will help you produce superbly consistent handloads which you'll really need especially for F Open and benchrest. You can get excellent off the shelf reloading dies from retailers such as Sinclair International as well though...I'm talking straight line dies for use with an arbor press not the standard commercial ones.
Food for thought.

Michael

Woody_rod

#4 Postby Woody_rod » Thu May 22, 2008 9:53 pm

Dale,

Have you looked into buying one already built? Maybe a good rifle being sold to upgrade...

Not sure you will get a rifle to do all of the things you mention. They are mutually incompatible really...hunting rifles are light to carry, but f class are heavy...30 inch barrel for long range work, but tangle in everything (trees, fences, clothing, motorbike wheels - ouch!!), and are a b1tch to use from a vehicle (I know, Ive tried :)

Of course, you could add a custom plate to the front of that A-4 to use on a rest when you want. I cant see the rifle balancing with a 30 inch barrel - they not really designed for that.

Big scopes are also heavy, and too powerful for almost all hunting work. Of course, this can be made to work with a variable, say 8-32 power.

Single shot in hunting is a PITA, when that first shot just grazes the head of fox/goat/buffalo

Quick

#5 Postby Quick » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 am

What about a 26in barrel with a 4.5-18 sort of scope. I no Falcon Optics makes one and I've heard good things about them, then again they are designed as a tactical counter-sniper scope. This would make it more suitable and could be a good comprimise for your intended rolde for the rifle.

Or you could get an Omark or alike thats in good nick and get some work done on it to do the job you want it to.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”