Barrel Tuners

If you shoot full-bore, then you're welcome to use this forum to discuss your sport.

Moderator: Mod

richmac

Barrel Tuners

#1 Postby richmac » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi All
I have noticed a few barrel tuners around the ranges of late.
I have noticed some small and some bulky.
I was wondering if I can get some feed back on what is good and if they work as well .
I have seen a local one made here in South Australia which is very compact and fits in front of the foresight tunnel.
like to here from U...cheers Richard

littlebang556

Tuners

#2 Postby littlebang556 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:11 am

There was quite a lengthy discussion on the fullbore list on this topic no all that long ago that went for quite some time with varying interests and beliefs/results.
If I remember rightly, the gist of it was that if you do not hand load this might be of some use to try out (details of which idea to adopt I do not have) and may even consume much ammo to find the right combination for a particular rifle condition.
The other way was to tune your load to suit using the ladder test and about as much ammo.
Both setups constantly change as your barrel wears, powder; primer; projectile; batch and so on changes.

I know this does not answer the question but it puts a little more light on the subject.
Have confidence in your gear and it's ability. "Listen" to your rifle and you will know very well where each shot will end up. You are not an extenssion of the rifle but it is of you.
An engine will run in quite a sad state before it is no longer servicable and a barrel is in my mind no different but when both are dead, no amount of fiddling will bring them back.

On a similar line of thought, I have also heard of people trimming of small amounts from the muzzle to acquire similar results.

Regards

Littlebang556 Rob

littlebang556

Tuners

#3 Postby littlebang556 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:50 am

There is also a good reference to barrel tuners included within this site under "Articles" that you can navigate to from the home page Richard.

Regards

Littlebang556 Rob

Billy308

Barrel tuners

#4 Postby Billy308 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21 am

Hi Rich,
I have a Pinyon tuner on my TR, which you would've seen around SA. It works really well and it is easy to calibrate for different loads.
I'm using two powder loads for fullbore in my Barnard/ Kreiger 308. And I just move the tuner (it rotates on a fine thread and held by a grub screw)
to the best position for each load.
I'm pushing Sierra 155's at 2930 fps with 44.5grains of 2208 at short ranges.
Then I use 45.5grains of 2208 and get 2985 fps for the longs and team shooting.
I have tuned groups down to 20mm at 300 yards with both loads (just through open sights and a light support under the front wrist.)
This way of tuning is so easy!
Good shooting
Bill

richmac

barrel Tuners

#5 Postby richmac » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi Bill
Funny I also went and got one off of Frank and it really is a very good product.
It is compact and not bulky and very user friendly.
Poor Frank is working overtime producing them as they are working well.
Rich

Billy308

Barrel tuners

#6 Postby Billy308 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Hi Rich,
Beats moving foresights and losing the exact centerline. My next tuning experiment/ test will be tuning with no eagle eye and note the position for that. Frank Jnr had his tuner position worked out for when he uses the eagle eye. We were comparing group sizes/score with the E.Eye and without last weekend at the state team practise.
Bill

Return to “Full-bore/Target Rifle”