Shooting in Commonwealth Games

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RJNEILSEN

Re: Shooting in Commonwealth Games

#31 Postby RJNEILSEN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Currently watching women's beach volleyball on TV and I am amazed that anyone would watch any shooting sports instead.

UL1700

#32 Postby UL1700 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm

RJNEILSEN wrote:Currently watching women's beach volleyball on TV and I am amazed that anyone would watch any shooting sports instead.

I can get chick flicks whenever I want, live international level shooting is much harder :lol:

RDavies

#33 Postby RDavies » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm

At the end of day 2 (of 3) in the individuals, Jim Bailey is in the lead, a few Vs ahead of Englands Dave Luckman, with Ben Emms 3 points back in 3rd. So far it has only been short range, 300-600yds, but tomorrow is 900 and 1000yds so it is all still open for anyone.

macguru

#34 Postby macguru » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Rod the last day is on Saturday. Tomorrow is a rest day. and I agree at this level its going to come down to the longs.
id quod est

bartman007

Course of fire

#35 Postby bartman007 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 pm

I guess it might be tradition that has these champions shooting two sets of short ranges (and 7 shots at that :shock: ), with only one day of longs. Not a real test of stamina.

Compared to the F Class World Championships being shot over 700/800/900 meters, it makes the Commonwealth Games look a bit light on.

Saying that, it is brilliant to see Ben and Jim at the pointy end of the leader board! Go Boy's, Aussie Aussie Aussie.

Maybe F Class can get equal billing next Comm. Games in F Open and FTR, as we currently have the F Open World Champion (Rod Davies) in our ranks.
###

bsouthernau

Re: Course of fire

#36 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:13 pm

bartman007 wrote:Maybe F Class can get equal billing next Comm. Games in F Open and FTR, as we currently have the F Open World Champion (Rod Davies) in our ranks.

Sad to say Mike that I think they already have equal billing with TR - zero in all cases. Happy to proven wrong.

Tim L

#37 Postby Tim L » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:58 am

The format could easily be televised simply by using a hexta/ozscore frame behind or a silver mountain in front of the manually marked ( official) target. What an oppertunity for the manufacturers!

I would also assume that for the CG each shooter would have their own target face so markers could patch out with an off colour that the cameras would pick up but shooters can't see. (Certainly eliminates technical difficulties).

Call me a cynic but i imagine those providing coverage asked what could be done and got a reply from our governing body.

!Peter!

#38 Postby !Peter! » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am

Something like this from the 2017 ISSF world cup 50m prone rifle final?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmglyB_lUqA

This video was produced by the ISSF, the equivalent to ICFRA......

tom1

#39 Postby tom1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

I would say that the the television network has decided that coverage of full bore shooting is not worth upsetting the anti gun loby.
Too many people simply do not want anything to do with firearms. Its a numbers game and we are outnumbered.

Peter Hulett

#40 Postby Peter Hulett » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Here is a link to a live feed of scores for tomorrow’s final. Media in Brisbane are calling Jim “The wind whisperer”!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... M/htmlview

Peter

Peter Hulett

#41 Postby Peter Hulett » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned shooting starts at 10.00 am tomorrow at 900 yards and 1000 yards will start at 11.45 am
Peter

Tim L

#42 Postby Tim L » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Well done Jim.
Those pomms are on fire. Great effort sticking a wedge between them.

RDavies

#43 Postby RDavies » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Tim L wrote:The format could easily be televised simply by using a hexta/ozscore frame behind or a silver mountain in front of the manually marked ( official) target. What an oppertunity for the manufacturers!

I would also assume that for the CG each shooter would have their own target face so markers could patch out with an off colour that the cameras would pick up but shooters can't see. (Certainly eliminates technical difficulties).

Call me a cynic but i imagine those providing coverage asked what could be done and got a reply from our governing body.

This format would be good for everyone. Unfortunately it is unlikely to be an issue at Birmingham if they don't allow any shooting at all. I don't buy the argument about not televising the fullbore to placate the antis. Pistols and shotguns were well received and during the opening ceremony, many shooters got a mention. I think it is likely that they weren't given much instruction on how best to do it from those who should know.

Anyway, congrats to Jim Bailey for his silver and to Ben for his 9th place in a tough field.

Return to “General Forum”