Shooting in Commonwealth Games

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

UL1700

Re: Shooting in Commonwealth Games

#16 Postby UL1700 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am

Posted this yesterday off my mobile but I can't see the post. If you want to watch the shooting you need to do it off the 7 app. I ran it off my mobile and chrome cast it to my TV. Worked well two adverts at the beginning then free uninterrupted viewing of the 10m womens pistol and mens rifle finals. Skeet was on later but I was out.

JB

#17 Postby JB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:46 pm

Results from the official site for the pairs.

https://results.gc2018.com/en/shooting/ ... 00100-.htm

macguru

#18 Postby macguru » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm

If you pay the 20 bucks to the seven website can you watch the shooting on your computer ?
id quod est

Julian D

#19 Postby Julian D » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 am

I have had this link for ages now, so I can watch the early news. I noticed that it shows quite a few of the games channels, I watched the finals of the mens skeet yesterday, and it does not cost anything.
Try it & see ......

https://7plus.com.au/live-tv/

willow

#20 Postby willow » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:29 am

Looks like Ben and Jim finished 6th in the pairs match.

lonerider43

#21 Postby lonerider43 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:31 pm

i got to watch nearly all the 50mtr pistol match today [for the gold]
good on all the competitors.that looks alot harder than shooting TR.
also got to watch the last couple shots of the female trap.
bloody good stuff.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

RJNEILSEN

#22 Postby RJNEILSEN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm

I have had the week off work to attend the games. I have spectated at all shooting disciplines this week. My only gripe has been with the fullbore setup. It is the only discipline where the spectators have zero clue of what is going on. I understand the historical issues with electronic targets, so if manual targets are necessary then I feel that the check scorers could still be plotting onto a tablet that relays an unofficial rank to screens for the crowd. Millions have been spent on temporary facilities at Belmont including a channel 7 TV screen measuring probably 10m wide in the refreshments area that no one looks at, I feel a little bit more spent on the fullbore spectator experience would have not been too difficult.

argh

#23 Postby argh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm

RJNEILSEN wrote:I have had the week off work to attend the games. I have spectated at all shooting disciplines this week. My only gripe has been with the fullbore setup. It is the only discipline where the spectators have zero clue of what is going on. I understand the historical issues with electronic targets, so if manual targets are necessary then I feel that the check scorers could still be plotting onto a tablet that relays an unofficial rank to screens for the crowd. Millions have been spent on temporary facilities at Belmont including a channel 7 TV screen measuring probably 10m wide in the refreshments area that no one looks at, I feel a little bit more spent on the fullbore spectator experience would have not been too difficult.

Agreed. And how good is the experience with the visual indicators in the other disciplines ? Every shot is shown on the electronic targets (or clays being busted), scores are updated immediately, and you have ongoing commentary on how the competition is proceeding. This could all be replicated with the Hexta targets ALREADY at Belmont ! What a waste !

The Finals in all the disciplines - air pistol, air rifle, 50m rifle,pistol and the shotguns disciplines are a great concept. This could vastly improve the full bore spectator experience if the top 6 shooters shot the last 1000y stage in a knock out situation to determine the medals.

There does not look to be any TV coverage of the Fullbore comp, but all other final series are being televised on internet streams, and they are exciting to watch.

With all the talk on other threads about promoting our sport, or coming up with new sub disciplines to sav our sport and save our ranges, maybe its only a change to the actual format that we shoot under that needs to change. Maybe this is something that the NRAA and other fullbore/Palma/Bisley organisations around the world need to look at. Make the competition more 'viewer' friendly.

Maybe we have become the Full booring :| discipline, and that might be why we are fading as a shooting discipline?

Just a thought.

And BTW, Go Jim and Ben, currently Jims in 1st, and Ben in 5th. Centres are the only difference between 1st to 10th place at the moment. =D>

sungazer

#24 Postby sungazer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 pm

For the younger shooters absolutely the PRS is more exiting and FB is boring. All day to shoot 36 rounds and one detail may be over in 5 min sometimes yet it still takes all day.

RDavies

#25 Postby RDavies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Why couldn't the cameras be zoomed in on the targets or show the plot boards which are behind each shooter? There is nothing wrong with the setup at Belmont, it is one of the most suitable ranges in the world, if the media really wanted to do something with it. They can make golf look interesting and zoom in on golf balls from a kilometre away, why not a 3-4" wide spotter disk? No need make the shooters adapt to keep the media happy if they wont give it coverage regardless.

Anyway, keep it up Jim and Ben, they are in good positions so far in the individuals.
Last edited by RDavies on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJNEILSEN

#26 Postby RJNEILSEN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 pm

My negative comments were not about the broadcast or media, but about the experience for on range spectators. A live running tally of scores and leader board is what all other shooting disciplines provided. If they can make 50m free pistol exciting (and they did), then fullbore should have no problems.

RDavies

#27 Postby RDavies » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:44 pm

RJNEILSEN wrote:My negative comments were not about the broadcast or media, but about the experience for on range spectators. A live running tally of scores and leader board is what all other shooting disciplines provided. If they can make 50m free pistol exciting (and they did), then fullbore should have no problems.

Yes, likely mistakes on both sides. It sounds like it could have been better thought out from the crowd experience side of things instead of running it like a regular Queens.

argh

#28 Postby argh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Dont disagree Rod, we all sit at saturday shoots, OPM's and Queens watching the target come back into view or huddled around the electronics monitor when someone else shoots, but for TV and for the public's interest, what has been on TV with the electronic targets has made for good spectator sport.
And, simple fact is that every other shooting final is being televised on line, except for the fullbore ? someone some where obviously has made the call that all the other shooting sports are more suitable for TV than the fullbore.
just my opinion based on the last few days of watching the shooting online . BTW, I have watched few shoots live online with the Hexta systems when I haven't been able to make it, and what they have done with the electronics in the smallbore and pistol could easily be done with hexta, or the SMT systems. Not sure with the other electronics
Adrian

!Peter!

#29 Postby !Peter! » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 pm

All the other shooting disciplines in the Commonwealth Games are ISSF disciplines and the ISSF have been working to keep the ISSF disciplines in the Olympics by tweaking the competition formats to make it more spectator friendly and recently dropping some disciplines to enable team events to be added. These changes have not been without controversy within the ISSF community.

A big difference between F-Class/ TR and ISSF I see is that the ISSF has a stronger structure from international, through the country & state bodies to clubs. This is not to say that there aren't issues in the ISSF but at least there's a strong structure.

RJNEILSEN

#30 Postby RJNEILSEN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 pm

I shoot ISSF pistol more than I shoot fullbore these days. The finals format for ISSF is designed purely for the TV. I don't think we need to change our format, we just need need to make use of the existing technologies to present the state of play better. It's ok at a queens to expect people to walk the line and determine who is leading, but at an international event with non-shooting spectators, I don't think it is crazy for anyone on the range to be able to see who is leading via a large screen. At Belmont this week it was nearly impossible to walk the line and see all target plots to determine what was going on. Whiteboards just don't cut it when there is a couple of hundred green spectators.

Cheers,
Ryan.

Return to “General Forum”