Shooting in Commonwealth Games

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Shooting in Commonwealth Games

#1 Postby RDavies » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:53 pm

With the Commonwealth Games underway it was good to see the commentators mentioning so many shooters in the opening ceremony. Even a non shooter workmate remarked how many competitors they mentioned and acknowledged as shooters as the various countries filed past. It was at least some sort of positive recognition instead of the usual shootem up news from USA. We got a quick glimpse of Ben Emms and Jim Bailey, but hopefully we will get some decent coverage of shooting from Belmont.
Does anyone know how concrete the decision is to remove shooting from the Commonwealth Games Program in Birmingham in 2022?

scott/r

Re: Shooting in Commonwealth Games

#2 Postby scott/r » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm

It was good to see the commentators talking so freely about the shooters, and not just the shotguns for a change. The only down side to it is as it stands at the moment, the Queens event (fullbore) won't be televised on free to air tele. I mentioned it on on of Shooting Australia's facebook shares this morning and they are going to talk to the producers tomorrow to try and get them air time. They were quick to write themselvies a reminder once I mentioned how good of a chance Ben and Jim have of being in the medals.
As far as Birmingham goes, at this stage, there is no shooting at all scheduled. But, there is supposed to be quite a few countries getting together straight after the closing ceremony to put pressure on them to re-include it.

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 pm

scott/r wrote:As far as Birmingham goes, at this stage, there is no shooting at all scheduled. But, there is supposed to be quite a few countries getting together straight after the closing ceremony to put pressure on them to re-include it.

The excuse for not having shooting in Birmingham was lack a facilities!! WTF??? Bisley, the world Mecca of long range target shooting is just down the road (By Australian standards).

scott/r

#4 Postby scott/r » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 am

Yep, go figure.
Scott.

cheech

#5 Postby cheech » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 am

Is the TR comp shot on ET's , if so can it be accessed for live viewing?

bruce moulds

#6 Postby bruce moulds » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:32 am

yes cheech.
one of the best uses of e.t. is doing that to promote the sport through the media.
especially if it comes down to the last shot as happened in the creedmoor match of 1874, and many shoots since.
of course it requirs knowledgable commentators to capitalize on that.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

saum2

#7 Postby saum2 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:04 pm

cheech wrote:Is the TR comp shot on ET's , if so can it be accessed for live viewing?

I'm told by an ex Com games shooter that ET's will never be used again for this competition after what happened in India with Et's. I may be wrong but info I have is they already have markers and Butts officers.

lonerider43

#8 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:40 pm

any idea if it will be televised and when ?
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

RDavies

#9 Postby RDavies » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Rebel105 wrote:
cheech wrote:Is the TR comp shot on ET's , if so can it be accessed for live viewing?

I'm told by an ex Com games shooter that ET's will never be used again for this competition after what happened in India with Et's. I may be wrong but info I have is they already have markers and Butts officers.

Correct. Manual targets will be used for the Games.
There is no reason TV cameras cant zoom in to the targets to give non shooting viewers a realistic perspective of the size of the targets and accuracy they are achieving. Apparently each shooter will have a plotter behind them, showing their shots for the benefit of spectators and the media.

DannyS

#10 Postby DannyS » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 am

That would be right, have a problem with one brand of ET in India and lump all brands in the same box.
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

UL1700

#11 Postby UL1700 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 am

lonerider43 wrote:any idea if it will be televised and when ?

Doesn't look like it. Some shooting is scheduled to streem though the 7 commonwealth games app today but you will probably have to pay :evil:

jasmay

#12 Postby jasmay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:40 am

RDavies wrote:
Rebel105 wrote:

Correct. Manual targets will be used for the Games.
There is no reason TV cameras cant zoom in to the targets to give non shooting viewers a realistic perspective of the size of the targets and accuracy they are achieving. Apparently each shooter will have a plotter behind them, showing their shots for the benefit of spectators and the media.

If organisers were proactive they probably could have potentially used a program like shot plot to compile things digitally, or run a system like silver mountain in conjunction with it purely for the viewers. Just thinking out loud....

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 pm

The Target Rifle pairs, with Benn Emms and Jim Bailey shooting together will be on Tuesday 10th and the individuals will be on Thursday 12th. I'm not working those days so I will be scanning the games channels for footage.

scott/r

#14 Postby scott/r » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:08 pm

RDavies wrote:The Target Rifle pairs, with Benn Emms and Jim Bailey shooting together will be on Tuesday 10th and the individuals will be on Thursday 12th. I'm not working those days so I will be scanning the games channels for footage.

Rod, the pairs are on Monday and Tuesday and the individual is on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. With Friday being a rest day for fullbore.
Scott.

RDavies

#15 Postby RDavies » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 pm

scott/r wrote:
RDavies wrote:The Target Rifle pairs, with Benn Emms and Jim Bailey shooting together will be on Tuesday 10th and the individuals will be on Thursday 12th. I'm not working those days so I will be scanning the games channels for footage.

Rod, the pairs are on Monday and Tuesday and the individual is on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. With Friday being a rest day for fullbore.
Scott.

OK, I just checked again in a different section of the Commonwealth Games website, looks like conflicting info from the section I checked before.

This one below appears to be more accurate.

https://results.gc2018.com/en/shooting/ ... hedule.htm

Return to “General Forum”