competitor marking

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bruce moulds

competitor marking

#1 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 am

human nature never ceases to amaze.
on the mound, markers are the enemy and a mob of bastards.
in the butts, shooters are the enemy and a mob of bastards.
the anomole comes when competitors mark.
the ones that complain the most on the mound re markers, seem to be the ones who complain most in the butts about shooters. :shock:
there seems to be no connection between the two situations.
as an aside i have often watched new markers stress a lot about the job and have trouble.
i often say to them that you can only do your best, and the shooter just has to accept that, because you can't do more.
once they get that clear, their marking gets faster and more accurate.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

RDavies

Re: competitor marking

#2 Postby RDavies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I have just spent the weekend shooting and marking. Maybe it was the novelty of the experience, but I think most of the shooters were quite OK with some social time down in the pits, marking targets in pairs with our Bisley partners. It seemed to me that all of the markers tried their best to give fast service. I would expect that paid markers who spend a few days down the pit pulling targets would get bored and tired of it in a few hours, but when it is competitors doing the marking, they are only doing it for an hour or so and gave it their all. Of course we still took the piss put of the shooters, naturally.

Mick_762

#3 Postby Mick_762 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:22 pm

It used to be part of the "fun" at the NT Queens.
You can have some quite interesting conversations while pulling targets.

Everyone pulls the piss out of the shooter when your at the butts - it also makes you remember your human when you see mistakes, and it really is a pleasure to mark for somebody who is slamming them into the centre!
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

saum2

#4 Postby saum2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm

RDavies wrote:I have just spent the weekend shooting and marking. Maybe it was the novelty of the experience, but I think most of the shooters were quite OK with some social time down in the pits, marking targets in pairs with our Bisley partners. It seemed to me that all of the markers tried their best to give fast service. I would expect that paid markers who spend a few days down the pit pulling targets would get bored and tired of it in a few hours, but when it is competitors doing the marking, they are only doing it for an hour or so and gave it their all. Of course we still took the piss put of the shooters, naturally.

I agree Rod, we had nearly a better time marking, but we had Alan marking with us (Irish Guy) it was a great time, so you make what you can.
Geoff

ben_g

#5 Postby ben_g » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:08 pm

While I would rather not have to mark if I can avoid it we certainly had a good time marking with our Bisley partner at Ungarie.

You need to make your own fun a little. We started taking to letting out a little cheer for every X.

There weren’t a lot of them at 9 and 1000yards :D

lonerider43

#6 Postby lonerider43 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 pm

the way i see it,if you havent pulled targets for at least 2 days straight during a prize shoot,you dont know the toll it takes on markers.
we pull targets in turn every sunday [that we shoot]
until i did it for our prize shoot..... it wasnt much to worry about.
my back has a bunch of herniated and bulging discs,both my shoulders are torn and my right elbow is buggered [thanks to a botched op]
to hear people complain,who are physically able and are to lazy or just flat out refuse to pull targets for THEIR club,frankly makes me sick and wonder why they bother owning rifles.

mtcw

sean.

maybe theirs just too many pussies these days.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Return to “General Forum”