F Class Competition in Australia

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

GSells

Re: F Class Competition in Australia

#31 Postby GSells » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 pm

pigdog wrote:I don't shoot F class nor any type of competitive shooting. I do however have appreciate the knowledge and skills that f class shooters and prs/bench rest shooters have and freely pass on to those of us who just like to improve our accuracy in a recreational environment. So please take my 2 cents for what you paid for it.

Firstly I don't give a damn about getting my ass kicked. I however haven't seen anyone ever mention one of the primary concerns I have about rolling up to shoot f class with my "field rifle" and that is as far as I'm aware f class shoots 2 sighters and a 20 shot string in 20mins?? Please correct me if that is wrong. There is no way in hell I'm putting my rifle through that sort of punishment. My rifle is not a paper thin hunting barrel nor is it a thick target barrel but a shot every minute on average for 20mins is way too much torching of the throat for me and I simply don't have the funds to replace barrels at a rate that would be required to regularly shoot at that rate. This would mean an entire new rifle with a target barrel to deal with this again more $$$$. The other smaller issue is the non allowance of muzzle brakes this however is not a deal breaker.

Anyway just thought id share my thoughts as someone who the f class community is probably trying to attract.

Hi Pigdog , I’m glad your are here learning from the vast experience that is on this forum!
I don’t know if anyone has corrected you yet as I’ve not read the thread all the way through?

But in Qld we normally shoot 2 sighters and 10 record in 13 to 18 mins per detail with a 2 sighters and 11 record sighters . Depending on Calibre one can easily get 2000 rounds out of a barrel and some like my Club mate with her .284 that she took to Raton in 2013 is on 4000 rounds and still shoots like stink ! . She is hoping to renew the barrel in the new year , only as a precaution that is doesn’t fail in a Comp.
Kind Regards Graham.

GSells

#32 Postby GSells » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Ok , I’ve finally read through the whole thread ! I believe leave the rules as they are ( I’m not going to go into et’s Issue as this will sort itself out !)
B grade standard is one of the greatest feeder classes that have fostered many of our past, current
And future top shots . In Qld we have 90 odd shooters turn up with half of the field f class and majority of that f standard and of that b grade the biggest group.
We have had a top shot in B grade Standard beat some of the A graders with a standard tikka .223 and out to 900 yds in fishtail conditions at Bundy opm ( Hi Tim !)
Extraordinarily exceptional wind reading !

When I was at Bendigo a couple of weeks ago ( lovely people down there too!) , they had service target rifle that is allegedly in the Ssr rules . Which allowed factory and custom tac rifles with muzzle breaks to be shot at an opm . Those guys made up half of the field at the Vic Pol opm . As One person said “ we have the rifle ranges and Ssaa have the shooters , service target rifle fills the gap to allow these shooters to shoot on VRA ranges “ now I don’t know if it was just a VRA thing or the rules are National? But I wish I had my prs Remington and could have had a chop at it ! Looked like fun !!

But as I’ve said before a market that could be tapped into for possible future members??

DannyS

#33 Postby DannyS » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Cory Lang aka Panda Shooter,

Have you read the book, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest?

#-o #-o
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

bsouthernau

#34 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm

GSells wrote:
When I was at Bendigo a couple of weeks ago ( lovely people down there too!) , they had service target rifle that is allegedly in the Ssr rules .

No allegedly about it. All you have to do is look at the SSRs.

bsouthernau

#35 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 pm

DannyS wrote:Cory Lang aka Panda Shooter,

Have you read the book, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest?

#-o #-o

I note that your post was addressed to Cory and not me but I've read all those books and your meaning was lost on me.

Cheers

DannyS

#36 Postby DannyS » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 pm

Barry, pleased to know that you have read the series, but my comment was nothing to do with the content of those books, just the title. Just a tongue in cheek comment to Cory.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

sungazer

#37 Postby sungazer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am

[quote="GSells"
When I was at Bendigo a couple of weeks ago ( lovely people down there too!) , they had service target rifle that is allegedly in the Ssr rules . Which allowed factory and custom tac rifles with muzzle breaks to be shot at an opm . Those guys made up half of the field at the Vic Pol opm . As One person said “ we have the rifle ranges and Ssaa have the shooters , service target rifle fills the gap to allow these shooters to shoot on VRA ranges “ now I don’t know if it was just a VRA thing or the rules are National? But I wish I had my prs Remington and could have had a chop at it ! Looked like fun !!

But as I’ve said before a market that could be tapped into for possible future members??[/quote]

This is exactly what I am trying to say but there are some rules that need to be tweeked to allow this to happen on all ranges all the time. The same as for the 223 instance you spoke of there are a few rules that need to be tweeked so people are not put of or excluded. The SSAA outnumber the state RA's by *** If the State RA's had some of these numbers the cost's be lowered as they would be spread also there may be savings due to size, perhaps good insurance like the SSAA could be an option.

Graham how quickly do you think that field of shooters could / will grow once the word gets out amongst them on forums and they get some ranges to shoot on. Nearly every factory rifle is eligible to be shot in one of the grades. All the money is going to the SSAA rather than clubs and state RA's

Return to “General Forum”