Bisley style shooting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RDavies

Re: Bisley style shooting

#31 Postby RDavies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:12 am

bruce moulds wrote:so how would you guys feel about a whole queens run bisley style?
keep safe,
bruce.

I would love it. It would be great to see.

Steve N

#32 Postby Steve N » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

RDavies wrote:
bruce moulds wrote:so how would you guys feel about a whole queens run bisley style?
keep safe,
bruce.

I would love it. It would be great to see.

I would like it as well. It would certainly add a point of difference to the normal Queens formats.

bruce moulds

#33 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

but john,
look at the extra value you get for the money.
pay a bit more and get a lot more.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

mick h

#34 Postby mick h » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Matt P wrote:
keep safe,
bruce.

Bruce
I do like the idea, a few issues I can see. The first is the good old "but we don't do it that way attitude". The other more important one is most ranges don't have enough targets and I'll explain why. When shooting Bisley style you are give a time to shoot (from 10-10.35 for example) and this is locked in, so the next shooters can't start until that detail is finished, so you're only getting though 2 shooters in that time frame, shooting string fire you would easily get though 3-4 shooters depending on conditions.
Which means you need more targets/markers or ET's which is a bit of a problem. I looked at this for next years NSWRA Queens, but for us it just isn't doable.
Matt P

10 plus two would run 18 minutes plus prep time for 2 shooters. On paper this would make it faster than normal string fire in erratic conditions.
Mick Hoey

bruce moulds

#35 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:57 pm

would people be prepared to pay a deposit on entries for a 2 or 3 day palma range bisley event.
deposit would be refundable if the evnt faied to surface, but it would demonstrate enough commitment to go ahead with such an event.
such an event would be presented as a premier competition in order to have status enough to attract good shooters,giving cudos to any winner.
the grey matter is starting to squeak and groan.
keep safe,
bruce.

RDavies

#36 Postby RDavies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 pm

bruce moulds wrote:would people be prepared to pay a deposit on entries for a 2 or 3 day palma range bisley event.

Yes I would pay the deposit for a 2-3 day shoot. If it was all longer ranges with blow off shots each day it would be simple to fly over with one gun and some mates sharing car hire for 2-3 days.

bruce moulds

#37 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:51 pm

o.k guys.
now you get a chance to shoot against a known good competitor.
if you are lucky he might have run out of that "dominant buck" spay by then.
keep safe,
bruce.

johnk

#38 Postby johnk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:39 pm

mick h wrote: 10 plus two would run 18 minutes plus prep time for 2 shooters. On paper this would make it faster than normal string fire in erratic conditions.

How about scoring time - when one shooter calls the value & the one just fires accepts it. At a scant minimum of 5 seconds, that adds another 2 minutes, then the 5 minutes to set up takes it out to 25 minutes per detail, which would be the time increments that you would need to use to schedule between each squad.

We shot 10 a target on average at the 2017 QRA Queens & completed 4 distances & a lunch break in 8¼ hours average, which came out at around 1 hour 50 a range. Shooting Bisley, you'd need a tad over 2 hours a match, meaning you'd either need more targets or shoot 3, not 4 matches a day, or no lunch, which might suit the shooters, but wouldn't give the range staff any joy.

bruce moulds

#39 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:45 pm

john,
if we get something going in s.a. would you consider doing the presentations?
it would just add that little bit extra.
keep safe,
bruce.

RDavies

#40 Postby RDavies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:27 pm

johnk wrote:
mick h wrote: 10 plus two would run 18 minutes plus prep time for 2 shooters. On paper this would make it faster than normal string fire in erratic conditions.

How about scoring time - when one shooter calls the value & the one just fires accepts it. At a scant minimum of 5 seconds, that adds another 2 minutes, then the 5 minutes to set up takes it out to 25 minutes per detail, which would be the time increments that you would need to use to schedule between each squad.

We shot 10 a target on average at the 2017 QRA Queens & completed 4 distances & a lunch break in 8¼ hours average, which came out at around 1 hour 50 a range. Shooting Bisley, you'd need a tad over 2 hours a match, meaning you'd either need more targets or shoot 3, not 4 matches a day, or no lunch, which might suit the shooters, but wouldn't give the range staff any joy.

If it was going to be done the usual way it would be 15-20 shot strings so only 3 ranges a day. If there was some competitor marking, at least one detail a day (or full paired competitor marking like overseas if you cant get paid markers) then we could use more targets.

AlanF

#41 Postby AlanF » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:07 pm

At various times over the last few years, I've raised the idea of having a Bisley style shoot at one of our local ranges. It hasn't yet happened, mainly because some of the older shooters give less than glowing reports of their experiences with it. I think we need to accept that its not everyone's cup of tea. For that reason, I believe a major prize meeting (rather than a Queens level event) would be a more suitable event to aim for at this stage. You could make it open to all disciplines, but most of the current interest seems to be coming from F-Open and F/TR shooters, which is understandable given that the FCWC individuals will usually use Bisley style. I'd like to see an event using the FCWC format of 15 shot shoots at 800, 900 and 1000yds (or metric equivalent). If there was to be a single annual event it would need a range with sufficient targets for a major event, and be reasonably central. Perhaps Brisbane or Bendigo?

RDavies

#42 Postby RDavies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm

AlanF wrote:At various times over the last few years, I've raised the idea of having a Bisley style shoot at one of our local ranges. It hasn't yet happened, mainly because some of the older shooters give less than glowing reports of their experiences with it. I think we need to accept that its not everyone's cup of tea. For that reason, I believe a major prize meeting (rather than a Queens level event) would be a more suitable event to aim for at this stage. You could make it open to all disciplines, but most of the current interest seems to be coming from F-Open and F/TR shooters, which is understandable given that the FCWC individuals will usually use Bisley style. I'd like to see an event using the FCWC format of 15 shot shoots at 800, 900 and 1000yds (or metric equivalent). If there was to be a single annual event it would need a range with sufficient targets for a major event, and be reasonably central. Perhaps Brisbane or Bendigo?

NO. You are correct that many recreational shooters won’t be too keen to increase the challenge especially at difficult ranges, BUT there are quite a few A grade TR shooters who travel to Bisley, Bloemfontein, Camp Perry and Connaught more regularly than us F class shooters who would welcome more opportunities to practice what they do overseas. I would really hope that TR shooters are catered for at these events.
Atherton , Townesville , Coona and Lower Light as well as maybe a range in W.A are also possibilities

Julian D

#43 Postby Julian D » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 am

Count me in.

bruce moulds

#44 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 am

so how would this work.
with the interest in this from all around the country, aircraft need to be included in the formula.
cheap airfares often beat driving distance.
however limited ammo is allowed, and this must be taken into account.
my guess is that ammo for 3 ranges plus blowoff shots is realistic.
and blowoff shots are a thing that also comes up in discussion.
the 3 ranges being the palma ones, there is only a requirement for 1 barrel.
the kiss principle is starting to become apparrent.
if all the venues that promote this do it similarly, a series type event starts to look interesting.
if that happens we can to a degree release ourselves from the clutches of the tr centric nraa while remaining within.
of course tr shooters would be welcome to join in the whole concept.
keep safe,
bruce.

bruce moulds

#45 Postby bruce moulds » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 am

further to the above post.
such events as the precision rifle series and the gap grind and similar as seen on 6mmbr appear to be businesses.
fishing comps are also run on a business basis, and involve big bucks.
they i9nclude in their formulae a great deal of promotion, for the event and for the sport.
the old nra formula of returning x% of entry fees in prize money and expecting the event to run at a loss and still whinging about being ripped off needs to be looked at.
precision rifle is only called that as it is only precision in relation to rapid fire ar platform shooting.
here is possibly a place to start the promotion, as our x ring at 1000 yds requires far greater precision than a steel gong.
keep safe,
bruce.

Return to “General Forum”