Bisley style shooting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Bisley style shooting

#46 Postby AlanF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am

RDavies wrote:NO. You are correct that many recreational shooters won’t be too keen to increase the challenge especially at difficult ranges, BUT there are quite a few A grade TR shooters who travel to Bisley, Bloemfontein, Camp Perry and Connaught more regularly than us F class shooters who would welcome more opportunities to practice what they do overseas. I would really hope that TR shooters are catered for at these events.
Atherton , Townesville , Coona and Lower Light as well as maybe a range in W.A are also possibilities

I'm fully on board with a major Bisley shoot for all disciplines, but doubt that you'd be able to convince a Queens committee to take the risk. It needs a new event. If it is a success, then Queens organisers would take it more seriously.

GregW

#47 Postby GregW » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am

I have been looking at this from a NSW "F Class" point of view. I am pretty confident that I can pull it off. I'm looking at "nuts and bolts" at the moment. I'm also confident of getting a suitable venue. In Canada we had only twelve shooters per target per day. I reckon I have a system in mind that will give us 24. This is 6 hours shooting at four an hour. A few minor alterations will, of course, need to be put in place. For instance, we would need to have nominations in hand a week prior. We will also have to be a bit smarter at getting on and off the firing point. I will keep you posted.

Greg Warrian

BRETT B

#48 Postby BRETT B » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 am

I would have no problems traveling for a major Bisley style shoot somewhere in Australia. Maybe a new event in Australia is whats needed to re invigorate our shooting community!!
Im going a few hours south of Perth this weekend to shoot Bisley with a few shooters who have expressed interest in giving it a go at club level to iron out the bugs and get a feel for it. 2 x 10 and 2 x 15 at 900m should give them a good experience..
BRETT BUNYAN F CLASS OPEN SHOOTER W.A.

Tim N

#49 Postby Tim N » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

I'd be happy to pay a deposit for such a comp.
One thing to note is that the next FCWC will be shot Bisley style in South Africa.
Another reason to run such comps for those i interested in going.
As suggested before this needs to be open to all disciplines for max attendance.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Steve N

#50 Postby Steve N » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am

Perhaps some Queens organisers would be willing to include some ranges in Bisley format in the Lead Up.
I would suggest the second day of the Lead Up to begin with but maybe more. They usually don't have great attendances and might benefit from the change. Shooters are already there and no new event or venue would have to be scheduled.
If it was shown to be popular and well supported it could become a thing where the Lead Up becomes a Bisley only event and the Queens could have two events of equal standing. Just throwing it out there.
Which Queens committee would be the most progressive and approachable?

johnk

#51 Postby johnk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Steve N wrote:Which Queens committee would be the most progressive and approachable?

Don't ask QRA. Rod won't shoot on ETs & we wouldn't bother with the nonevent if he doesn't. [-X

Brad Y

#52 Postby Brad Y » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi have my reservations that any queens committees would be willing to stick their necks out to include bisley style shooting yet, mainly because people aren't all that familiar with bisley shooting and it would be a logistical nightmare trying to organise it during a queens. People are too afraid of change and it will sour the event I think.

I think individual club, inter club, DRA and open picnic shoots are a good idea then leading to larger more mainstream competition. The other problem with doing it in a lead up is not everyone is able to shoot mid week with work. It needs to happen over a weekend where it can be more widely attended.

scott/r

#53 Postby scott/r » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:03 pm

RDavies wrote:
AlanF wrote:At various times over the last few years, I've raised the idea of having a Bisley style shoot at one of our local ranges. It hasn't yet happened, mainly because some of the older shooters give less than glowing reports of their experiences with it. I think we need to accept that its not everyone's cup of tea. For that reason, I believe a major prize meeting (rather than a Queens level event) would be a more suitable event to aim for at this stage. You could make it open to all disciplines, but most of the current interest seems to be coming from F-Open and F/TR shooters, which is understandable given that the FCWC individuals will usually use Bisley style. I'd like to see an event using the FCWC format of 15 shot shoots at 800, 900 and 1000yds (or metric equivalent). If there was to be a single annual event it would need a range with sufficient targets for a major event, and be reasonably central. Perhaps Brisbane or Bendigo?

NO. You are correct that many recreational shooters won’t be too keen to increase the challenge especially at difficult ranges, BUT there are quite a few A grade TR shooters who travel to Bisley, Bloemfontein, Camp Perry and Connaught more regularly than us F class shooters who would welcome more opportunities to practice what they do overseas. I would really hope that TR shooters are catered for at these events.
Atherton , Townesville , Coona and Lower Light as well as maybe a range in W.A are also possibilities

I beleive that you would also get a lot of us want-to-be bisley B graders that would stick their hands up as well for a chance to shoot a full bisley comp.

bsouthernau

#54 Postby bsouthernau » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Tim N wrote:One thing to note is that the next FCWC will be shot Bisley style in South Africa.

And in South Africa they shoot triples

bruce moulds

#55 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:50 am

there is definitely some interest in holding such an event is s.a.
whether it is sufficient remains to be seen.
the wheels seem to turn slowly on such things.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Jase PTRC

#56 Postby Jase PTRC » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:39 am

Bruce we have been talking about this at PTRC for a little while now and there is definitely interest among our members for an event like this. I have never shot Bisley but am going to give it a crack this Saturday after our club shoot.

bruce moulds

#57 Postby bruce moulds » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

jase,
i have wondered if no 1 dra would be a good place to start if clubs could pull together.
this would give us the manpower, and the range would be preferred by many.
the no 1 prize shoot would be simple to alter the format, and could be a good marketing edge done right.
locally we have some who resent 900 meters, but they are more than offset by those who like it.
the ones who do not want to shoot could do the paper work etc, so that could work out well.
what do you think?
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880

http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

Jase PTRC

#58 Postby Jase PTRC » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 am

I would love to shoot more longer range stuff at Lower Light, you are correct in saying there are a few who dont want to shoot 900mtrs at our range but as i see it how are us newer shooters ever going to get good at long range when we only shoot it twice a year. In our club there are definitely people who want to do it, In my opinion a completely separate event from the DRA1 opm is needed if we want to shoot bisley. I think a 2 day event would be better and more likely to attract top level interstate shooters, we have the capability to hold a large event now with the accommodation and facilities on the range as was proven at the F Class teams earlier this year. The road in is now the best it has ever been and being in SA its more central for both Eastern and Western based shooters. I think it would be a struggle for just one club to run alone and think it would either need to be a DRA1 or SARA event. Im sure there will be people in SA who wouldnt shoot it but would be happy to volunteer to help out.

AlanF

#59 Postby AlanF » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 am

Might be good to add it on to the end of the SARA Queens. That would attract retirees plus those with a week's holiday.

jasmay

#60 Postby jasmay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 am

bsouthernau wrote:
Tim N wrote:One thing to note is that the next FCWC will be shot Bisley style in South Africa.

And in South Africa they shoot triples

They do in Canada too, but, for the worlds I believe they will limit this to two on the mound.

Return to “General Forum”