The 3 "R's"

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Q

The 3 "R's"

#1 Postby Tony Q » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:16 am

Rifles, Rifles and Rifles.

We have so many types, Benchrest, Fullbore, 3 position, Military, Blackpowder, Lever Action and F Class.

I understand there are some issues between the SSAA and NRAA in the potential, as someone said to me yesterday, for 'poaching'

if its ok to mix up benchrest (with a bench) and F Class prone in the same compertition then i see we are heading for trouble.

We will become a 'Mongrel' in the shooting world.

Maybe next saturday i can take my scoped 30-30 lever action instead of my F Class rifle.

If we are looking for new members we should be increasing our profile.
Run Training Days for new shooters, get the word out in other ways rather than 'poaching' from other established clubs.

We need New blood on the mounds not old blood from another club, we need more people re-finding their old passion for rifles (this is what we are finding with our training days) or new potential young shooters who dont even know we exist.

Lets find other ways :)
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

RAVEN

#2 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:18 am

So ya cant be a SSAA and SARA member now tell that person to pull their head in how narrow minded :evil:

#3 Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:04 am

Hey Raven

Im a member of SSAA SARA and Brukunga, and i shoot with all three but in the main my passion is F Class.

The issues i encountered was being told we need to encourage shooters from one organisation to move to another. While i agree with you that you can be a member of multiple clubs (as i am) it does not increase the number of people shooting. 500 shooters joining 2 clubs does not equal 1000 shooters in australia .... its still 500, i was told that because of poaching the numbers and interest in shooting is growing, but they are not with this approach.

For proper growth in the Australian Shooting movement we need new shooters to increse numbers in all clubs.

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:05 am

I guess my point was ... to increas shooter volume in Australia and get our sport back to being what it was we need new people, to discover the fine art of shooting, joining whatever organisation.

if someone says there are 60,000 Australian shooters, are there realy or is it 20,000 shooters who are members of 3 organisations being counted 3 times through membership rolls?

I know its pollitical also, but when i was in high school there was a 'shooting class' where we went to the local SSAA range and were taught to shoot .22's ... this educated and introduced new people to the sport, this dosent seem to happen any more. (apart from JB who runs a high school shoot for newbies in NSW)

RAVEN

#5 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:56 am

also did air rifle target shooting as a elective in high school
I also remember that my farther took me to a firearms safety and demonstration day at Bolivar clay target club.
The only junior rifle shooting I know of that is done to encourage young ppl to the sport is carried out by SSAA and is called the Lithgow challenge.
RB :)

Lynn Otto

#6 Postby Lynn Otto » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:08 pm

Hi Guys

When I was at high school there was cadets and they were trained in the use of firearms, this has long since gone.

Michael has a friend who is in the Air Cadets based at Edinborough Air Base, when they reach 16yo they are trained in the use of firearms with a Steyr 556 and when they reach 18yo they are introduced to the Steyr 762. Unfortunately this is not something that many young people have access to, his father doesn't shoot but is open minded. Like Michael he's only 14yo so we have taken him to the range with us on few occasions and he shoots well.

Trevor had our 5yo grandson out at the range on Sunday learning about safety and how to shoot and for someone so young he has a good eye. We're working on the next generation but it would be good if there was a general ability for young people to learn as they did with the cadets.

Lynn

Tony Q

#7 Postby Tony Q » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:49 am

through our last training day we gained 2 new members, father and son.

Father had not shot for 15 years, he stopped when kids came along as i did, now son is 15 he has re found the passion and the son is loving it anddoing great (and loves showing off to his mates .... future potential shooters)

This is what its all about, not only new mew mebers but re-finding the passion or discovering the art for the first time.

It realy puts a smile on my face when i see this happening :)

Return to “General Forum”