Use of a signature block

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Singo85

Use of a signature block

#1 Postby Singo85 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Alan,

Have noticed of late that a fair few members here dont have a signature block or dont actually sign there comments.

It is quite fustrating sometimes not knowing the actual name of the posters and peoples nick names / user names make it difficult to determine the individual.

Would you consider enforcing the use of a signature block?
Cheers
Michael Singleton

mike H

Re: Use of a signature block

#2 Postby mike H » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Singo85 wrote:Alan,

Have noticed of late that a fair few members here dont have a signature block or dont actually sign there comments.

It is quite fustrating sometimes not knowing the actual name of the posters and peoples nick names / user names make it difficult to determine the individual.

Would you consider enforcing the use of a signature block?

Michael,
I am not sure what a signature block is,or why it would help,if you blocked signatures,how would we know who is posting.If I posted as Mike Halloran 1942, perhaps that would give a clue to my dilemma .To tell you the truth,I often wonder about the identity of some of the posters here ,but that is the challenge .
Mike Halloran .

lonerider43

#3 Postby lonerider43 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 pm

my name is sean,
my favourite color is blue,
i like the smell of gunpowder,
i live in qld.
;)
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

Gyro

#4 Postby Gyro » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:12 am

So long as we are writing thoughtfully and not throwing rocks at each other does it really matter ?

Maybe the profile part of the site could have more space to explain better who we are ?

As for me Im age 59, married happily, formal education/training is in mechanical engineering and I came across to this accuracy-shooting game from a passion for fly fishing for trout. And I normally only work 3 days a week and have done for years.

Regards Rob Kerridge.

Singo85

#5 Postby Singo85 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 am

I am not asking for a family history. But at times people are giving technical information or advice. By providing your name people can relate this to winners lists or people whom have some respect/standing within our community. I would rather take advice from someone whom I have heard of rather than someone I haven't.

This also stops the case of the faceless maffia and holds individuals to account.

It also helps put names to individuals when you go to big shoots ot might even help build a a better f class comnunity.
Cheers
Michael Singleton

jasmay

#6 Postby jasmay » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:46 am

Pro's & Cons for both sides of this.

Forcing people to use the full name, and offering up a few details like what state they are in might discourage some people from partaking, this is not a private forum and wouldn't be hard for the lessor likeable humans to work out who you are, where you live and Thus make you are target.

As well as the above, it wont stop people from using false information.

I have enough in my user name for people in the community to work out who I am, and if anyone wants further details they can always PM you.

Just my thoughts.

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 am

Michael,

They're all valid points you make, and this idea has been considered before. Probably the main objection has been that some don't like to advertise that they have firearms stored at home, but of course publication of results does that regardless. As a forum administrator, if we did require names, there is no easy way to check they're correct. The main problem I have with anonymity is that it emboldens some posters to go over the top with their comments. However banning is available for these situations.

If you want to check on the qualifications or "politics" of a poster, you can usually get a good idea by looking at their previous posts. Click on their name to go into their Profile, and then Search User's Posts.

Regarding the advantages of building a closer F-Class community, yes we often get comments about "putting a face to a forum name". However many shooters prefer to keep a low social profile and we have to respect that I think.

Alan (Fraser).

GSells

#8 Postby GSells » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Singo85 wrote:I am not asking for a family history. But at times people are giving technical information or advice. By providing your name people can relate this to winners lists or people whom have some respect/standing within our community. I would rather take advice from someone whom I have heard of rather than someone I haven't.

This also stops the case of the faceless maffia and holds individuals to account.

It also helps put names to individuals when you go to big shoots ot might even help build a a better f class comnunity.

It maybe possible that you already know mine lol! :lol:

Regards Graham Sells Dalby Tara Rc ( plumbs7).

williada

#9 Postby williada » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:40 pm

I feel very strongly about this. Had my place burgled and lost all mine and my wife' s state team rifles some time back and it was later found to be sourced to a school's program I was conducting at the time in the city where my personal details were publicly available. Police caught the offenders but my gear was never recovered.

Sure people's sensitivities can be ruffled on any blog site but the moderators do a pretty good job to minimize it. I take the view,
"Sticks and stones will break your bones but names never hurt you". Build a bridge and get over it. You usually have to sort out evidence for yourself and do your own research anyway. Its the concepts and ideas that are most important for me.

I don't like the thought of increasing people's risk of losing property or injury in the future if some troll or thief identifies them from comments here. Its a pretty closed shop among our fellow shooters and many are known by their tags informally anyway and I feel why be the naive wide-mouthed toad in this day and age to assist predators in the wider public. Loose lips sink ships.

Its people's choice of course if they want to hand out their details but its not their right to out others who want to remain private.

Gyro

#10 Postby Gyro » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Well said Williada, especially regards security.

That's something we ALL need to take the trouble to organise thoroughly !!!

6.5x55ai

#11 Postby 6.5x55ai » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 am

Well said williada and my commiserations on being robbed.

With the likes of gang members, anti gunners and other freaks trawling all gun related forums and on-line auction sites I definitely prefer to be anonymous on forums.

Here in NZ, on occasion I have easily linked between a local firearms forum postings and the same individual listing (along with their contact phone number) a motor vehicle on an on-line auction site. If I can do it........

As far as authenticity of posting information I take nothing for gospel from the net and weigh up the data posted and make my own conclusions. I have also established contact via PM with a couple of members on this site to seek further advise.

I am also reticent about posting details of numbers and types of firearms owned.

As far as anonymous trolls, from what I have seen on most forums they are quickly identified and weeded out.

I guess for those members that can be identified by their fame (state and national teams) that is the cost of fame :D and an unfortunate side effect.

And yes, despite all care taken firearm owners can still be easily identified as per the example here where a club member was followed home from the range and subsequently robbed. Mind you I believe he also had personalised plates which gave the low lifes an additional clue.

Taking all practicable care is the best we can do.

Trevor Rhodes

#12 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

It is nice to know who's talking to you. Just simply put Trevor central Vic. or T.Rhodes Vic who going to track you, Who in the hell is Bolster55 or Jasmay, l'm with Singo the only way l now Michael is through being on the same target at a couple of Queens.

jasmay

#13 Postby jasmay » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 am

Trevor Rhodes wrote:Who in the hell is Bolster55 or Jasmay, .

Jason Mayers..... And no, Bolster isn't my alias :wink:

Trevor Rhodes

#14 Postby Trevor Rhodes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 pm

On the ABC a couple of months ago there was a story on illegal firearms and handguns are the crimes choose and on the black market there never been so cheap.

Gerard

#15 Postby Gerard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:47 pm

It does seem insane that thieves target houses where they know the resident has a firearm. That can't be common in other countries where self defence via firearm is legal. Its like jumping over the gate that has a sign saying Guard Dog! Could be, that the fact we cannot use firearms for self preservation is the source of the problem here.
This also lends credence to those that would have all firearms removed from the public, as we are agreeing that thieves target us as source to acquire weapons. I think a law change, permitting legitimate self defence use, may largely remove the incentive for thieves to target firearm owners. Until then, I understand why some wish to remain in the shadows.

I was quite frustrated recently as I created a template for a club Facebook page and wanted to share video footage (of only me, but unfortunately due to the chatter on the firing line it also included audio of weather, crop reports, jokes and old 303 stories.. and subsequently partially identified individuals). Anyhow the club members voted against having a Facebook page. Now, although I understand their view and deleted the template I think this is akin to the end of the dinosaurs..

Remember the days (I'm told) where school cadets would carry home 303s on the train without incident. That era encouraged lots of interest in target shooting. Now were frightened to get our photos and/or full names in the local paper.. and in our clubs case I would suspect as a direct result of that, we get little interest from young/new members other than perhaps family. That, seems likely to lead to reduced shooters voices/voters and subsequent decline in numbers and ultimately range closures. ..exactly what anti gun politicians want.

Some in the shooting community (typically the SSAA blast random household objects in a field with a shotgun guys) are using social media (particularly youtube) to brazenly raise their profiles and that is leading to more of that mindset joining the SSAA (and perhaps feeding the worries of anti gun folk that were all unsafe idiots). I personally very much want us to raise the awareness to our sport, the professionalism in particular and educate the public. So far, without social media approval I'm limited to word of mouth..and thats a failed strategy as I don't know/talk to any that would vote against firearms.

Somewhat off point.

Gerard Loughran - MR THUD.

Return to “General Forum”