SSR Question

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

dave

SSR Question

#1 Postby dave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 pm

according to the SSR's

APPENDIX 1 Reference to CHAPTER 3
APPROVED CARTRIDGES, PROJECTILES and POWDER
All competitors should note the following:- (a) For Target Rifle and F Class Standard, ONLY ammunition and projectiles acquired through the NRAA for State Association Distribution to its members shall be used in all competitions. (see Rule 3.4.1).

3.4 Ammunition and Components 3.4.1 Ammunition acquired through the NRAA for State and Territory Association distribution to its members shall be used in all competitions.

3.4.3.1 Projectiles as acquired through the NRAA for State & Territory Association distribution only. Refer to Appendix 1 for a current list of approved cartridges and projectiles.

PROJECTILES ALLOWED
The following projectiles are at present approved for handloading for Target Rifle and F Class Standard Disciplines.
.308 Calibre ADI – FMJ Projectiles 144 grain Sierra MatchKing 2155 155 grain. Sierra Palma MatchKing 2156 155 grain. BJD - HBC .308 155 grain. Optimus HBC 155.5 grain Nosler HPBT .308 155 grain. Berger VLD Match Target 155 grain Berger Match Fullbore Target 155.5 grain Berger Match Hybrid Target 155 grain
.223 Calibre Sierra - MatchKing:- .224 69 grain. Sierra - MatchKing:- .224 80 grain. Hornady – Amax:- .224 80 grain. Nosler – HPBT:- .224 80 grain.

given the above stipulations, does this mean that NRAA members should only purchase the approved projectiles from State NRAA stores?

or is it permissible to purchase any of the approved projectiles from local/interstate gunshops or firearms dealers for use in NRAA competitions ?

cheers
dave g

Barry Davies

Re: SSR Question

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am

How would they know where you purchased them.?

IamPlayer

#3 Postby IamPlayer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:31 pm

It may cost a few cents more to buy from a NRAA store, but it keeps your fees down, you may save a few dollars in the short term, but it will cost everyone in the long term

GrahamW

#4 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm

I think the rules are quite clear on this point (which I find somewhat uncharacteristic for our SSRs)

ONLY ammunition and projectiles acquired through the NRAA for State Association Distribution to its members shall be used in all competitions

BUT.... Is this enforced?

How could it possibly be enforced?

Particularly with the limited supply provided by our state associations in recent times.

Does it mean you don't shoot an upcoming event just to support what seems to be an attempt at monopolisation?

Or do you source your approved components from where ever you can get them?

Personally, I always try to buy from the association, but if they cannot supply for one reason or another (or they are charging significantly more than other sources) then I'll get what I need from where ever I can.

I don't see any ethical issues with this providing we are only using approved components.

If, I was ever disqualified for using (approved) projectiles sourced from other than the association (for whatever reason) I would simply give it away and/or move on to something less manipulative.

GrahamW

#5 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm

IamPlayer wrote:It may cost a few cents more to buy from a NRAA store, but it keeps your fees down, you may save a few dollars in the short term, but it will cost everyone in the long term

Considering the bulk discounts the NRAA should be getting, I see no reason any common component should cost more than you could get it from the corner gunshop.

As for keeping our fees down... I doubt profits from the stores would have any effect on our fees and I don't believe it should.

I'm all for supporting the association in any way I can, but if that means monopolising the supply chain, I think if you look into it there are likely some trading laws that prohibit this.
Just a thought. 8-)

Return to “General Forum”