Precision Rifle Series is here!!! And It Looks to be BIG

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

flatlina

Re: Precision Rifle Series is here!!! And It Looks to be BIG

#31 Postby flatlina » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I use a Tikka CTR in an MDT Tac 21 chassis. It is chambered in .260 Rem. This only has a 20" barrel but it works OK out to 500m. Using 123 SMK or A-Max @ 2940 FPS. I'm using a Nightforce SHV 4 - 14 FFP scope. The good thing with the MDT is that 10 shot mags are only $55 or less if you have a dealer licence. I find some of the shooting positions a bit hard but @ 65 I suppose that is a given.

Regards
john

SunnyCoast 5r

#32 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Looks like it's time to buy a few spare mags for my converted rem 5r!
Maybe we should book the pop up range at Greenbank (Brissie) for some practice...anyone got some contacts in the army? Seriously. We could make it a charity shoot for Legacy.

plumbs7

#33 Postby plumbs7 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 pm

It looks very hard ! Well at least at the top level ! I wonder if we will get to the same level as the Yanks ? Have a look at the 2015 final !
https://youtu.be/sNe-rR5JisQ

willow

#34 Postby willow » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 pm

plumbs7 wrote:It looks very hard ! Well at least at the top level ! I wonder if we will get to the same level as the Yanks ? Have a look at the 2015 final !
https://youtu.be/sNe-rR5JisQ

They're on a different level over there in terms of organisation, sponsorship and practice. Guys shooting 6.5x47s are shooting out a barrel over a single season without difficulty.

mike H

#35 Postby mike H » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:42 pm

I looked at the 2015 final,most impressive,out of my ability and budget.I would be interesting to have explained the exact distances and target dimensions.A lot of potential Match Rifle shooters there.Wouldn't pay as much,but the prize money couldn't have covered the costs,assuming team sponsors would be a big help.Having said that,I take my hat off to them,to be able to shoot downhill on a steep slope is hard.
Mike.

Tim N

#36 Postby Tim N » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 pm

A good cross over between these sports as it grows could be a comp for PRS complient rifes minus the brakes in queens comps?
As it stands they could shoot in open minus the brake.
Is there a weight limit for the PRS guns?
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Rusty

#37 Postby Rusty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey guys,

Great to see so much interest in the PRS arriving on our shores here. Thanks to JasePTRC for the heads up. I'm very fortunate to be involved with the setup of this competition here, though I'm not the Match Director for the first event. We have been overwhelmed with sponsorship as so many of the USA companies want to see this sport succeed here, though we have some great local companies on board as well. Main thing is we want to run a really interesting and exciting comp for the shooters, both experienced and new. Certainly don't want to take away from F-class, and while our target audience is different I have no doubt there will be some crossover that can strength the sports overall.

Happy to answer any questions, specifically about the first shoot, for members here.

Cheers

Rusty

EDIT: Couple of questions seen so far.
There is no weight limit on rifles for PRS, though given a reasonable amount of movement, there is always a tight balancing act on this topic.
There is a cap of 48 shooters for the first event, though depending on interest, this may be reviewed.

Redhawk

#38 Postby Redhawk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Ok, so where and when is the first event? What will the format be for event nr 1?

Rusty

#39 Postby Rusty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm

It will be at the SSAA Mildura range on the weekend of the 2-4th of June. Friday is a practice session, with the comp running over Saturday and Sunday.

As for format, there will be approximately 15 different stages to shoot over the two days. How that breaks down is being worked on at the moment. Here is a stage from a recent event that might give you a taste of the type of thing that could be encountered. We wouldn't be able to run this specific stage due to the arc of fire, but with quite a large freedom on stage design it will give you a taste of what could be possible.

https://youtu.be/MXgD7WPcRlA

Redhawk

#40 Postby Redhawk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:38 pm

That looks like fun! What are the range of distances? What's the difference between open and production class?

Rusty

#41 Postby Rusty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 pm

This shoot will be limited to 600m due to the range, so barricades, time pressures, problem solving and target sizes will play more of a role than distance.

Open is really the default class for this discipline, and its where most people should aim to be shooting in. Production has a rifle and scope cap of $5K total, but the rifle may not be modified. Production really is for people who are fairly new to shooting, to be able to get involved and give it a try.

Rules are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnaxw9016ys5u ... s.pdf?dl=0

Redhawk

#42 Postby Redhawk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Very helpful, thank you.

bad_primer

#43 Postby bad_primer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am

30k in Prizes!!!

:shock:

wow...could worth the trip to Mildura

lee_enfield223

#44 Postby lee_enfield223 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm

it's a bugger that it has to be shot out in the never never due the range template constraints !!!!!!!!! it's about 1300kms from Sydney.

Send-it

#45 Postby Send-it » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

lee_enfield223 wrote:it's a bugger that it has to be shot out in the never never due the range template constraints !!!!!!!!! it's about 1300kms from Sydney.

don't worry 'Lee'.
This particular event is a big one,.....being the inaugural and all.
it'll only be a short while and there'll be some more local PRS events.
especially in the sydney/nsw region.
if you know where to look it's already happening. :wink:

Return to “General Forum”