Which F-STD class do I shoot in?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Which F-STD class do I shoot in?

#1 Postby DenisA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:05 pm

G'day All,

I have always been an F-Open shooter.

I've started playing in F-STD. My club does not have A grade and B grade in STD. We only shoot competitions every fortnight which I often miss, every other week is a practice day.

Come the National Queens which will be here in the blink of an eye, If I decide to shoot F-STD, is it correct to enter B grade or A grade?

Cheers,
Denis.

johnk

Re: Which F-STD class do I shoot in?

#2 Postby johnk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:16 pm

If in doubt, as a last resort, refer to the SSRs, in particular chapter 12.11

DenisA

#3 Postby DenisA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks John. So when I submit my club average. Is that the average F-STD score of each range or average of all?

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Answer you tomorrow after I write up a full example.

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 am

Denis I was just going through your scores for the year in f standard. You've only shot in it twice, so I don't know if that is enough for you to qualify for a percentage. If it's not, then make sure you wear a balaclava when you shoot b grade, ya burglar.haha.
Scott.

shooter mcreid

#6 Postby shooter mcreid » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:31 am

I would have to agree with Scotty. Even if you are eventually graded in B you can still nominate for A grade. With your experience and skill you should be shooting with the best of 'em. Don't be one of this years B grade burglars! There is usually enough of those

DenisA

#7 Postby DenisA » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:24 am

:LOL: Im not sure if skill is a word atributed to my shooting :LOL:

Im happy to shoot in A grade if thats the right thing to do. I dont want to be a burglar. Just didnt want to assume im a higher grade than anyone else or put myself in a grade that i cant keep up with.

I wanted some clarification first.

Of the FSTD shoots I've had, my placings haven't been bad, but those results have been in relaxed shoots not the heat of competition.

John S

#8 Postby John S » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:30 am

DenisA look at 12.9.7 SSR. If you have an F Open average then this is discounted and this will become your F Class Std initial grade for open competition. This rule applies if you have insufficient club scores to calculate a average.

DenisA

#9 Postby DenisA » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:32 am

Definitely dont want a reputation as a burglar if I won anything though. So where theres a choice peer perception is a stronger motivator than guidlines.

Thanks JohnS for pointing me to that rule.

jasmay

#10 Postby jasmay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:55 am

What is "keeping Up"?

Someone has to be in the middle, someone first someone last. I've found myself in all these at various times throughout my shooting career, yet have only shot B grade once, that being my first ever comp which was a queens.

You'll keep up just fine Denis!!

Jase PTRC

#11 Postby Jase PTRC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 am

I do not have an NRAA grading yet but have nominated for FSA for my first SA queens. Im shooting ok and think it will be more of a test to shoot A grade.

DenisA

#12 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 am

jasmay wrote:What is "keeping Up"?

Someone has to be in the middle, someone first someone last. I've found myself in all these at various times throughout my shooting career, yet have only shot B grade once, that being my first ever comp which was a queens.

You'll keep up just fine Denis!!

Agreed, I've been all over the shop in Open too. But there's a first middle and last in B grade too.
"Keep up", meaning keeping up with the percentages of each grade otherwise why are the grades percentage based.

There are some good shooters in B-grade who have been there for quite a while and I would expect they have far more in depth .308W experience and knowledge than I do.

Not that I'm a good Open shooter, but F-STD is definitely harder than open and a lack of experience and understanding of a .308W's ballistics, holds, etc will result in far more lost points compared to the rest of the field.

I thought it may be a little arrogant to put myself in A grade, but the feedback suggests that's not the case.

Given the helpful feedback from everyone, I'll definitely enter A............... If I shoot Standard.

Cheers All.

plumbs7

#13 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Denis , enter in the DDRA opm at Gundy as B grade ( or any other opm )and that way if you do shoot better than 94.5 % you will go straight into A grade and then there is no doubt . You earnt it ! Like you said std is so different to open !

DenisA

#14 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Made plans for that today Graham. Good call.

John S

#15 Postby John S » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Denis, your have an F class open average of 97.11. Discount by 2 and your grading average to commence your new career in Std is 95.11. Welcome to F class Std "A" grade for your DDRA OPM. Good luck.

Return to “General Forum”