Mound Construction and Surfaces

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

argh

Mound Construction and Surfaces

#1 Postby argh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi all
We still have a bit of work to do on our range upgrade, including correcting the slope on some of our firing mounds which have been topped up too much and in some cases a bit too steep.

As part of this process, the idea of changing the mound material or surface rather than conventional grass has come up for discussion, and I thought I would seek the ideas of others. Our 500m mound is currently synthetic turf, and it works well, including being low maintenance, and far less dirt and grit to get into everything. All other mounds are grass.

Our thoughts are to look at options such as topdressing and keeping natural grass, changing over the surface to synthetic grass, concrete (probably not our preference), or even going to crushed rock surfaces like some ranges in dryer areas have.

Whats everyones preference for mound surfaces? What are the benefits and disadvantages or crushed rock or gravel mounds from those that have shot on them?

Cheers
Adrian

Tim N

Re: Mound Construction and Surfaces

#2 Postby Tim N » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 am

Hi Adrian
I shoot at the cessnock club and we are changing our mounds to synthetic grass.
My assumption for the change is to reduce maintenance, the grass we have is second hand but quite good so if you hunt around you might get a bargain.
The only issue is that spikes cannot be used.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

bsouthernau

#3 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am

The main feature of crushed rock is that it gets in everything.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:02 pm

bsouthernau wrote:The main feature of crushed rock is that it gets in everything.

... and it's like quicksand with pedestals & the like.

Bart

#5 Postby Bart » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:04 pm

and isn't angle of the mound a great one. You can never please everyone, someone always grizzles :)

lonerider43

#6 Postby lonerider43 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 am

you can rake it,pack it and clean it right up.
but when it settles,its angles will change and again,someone will whinge.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

argh

#7 Postby argh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 am

Bart wrote:and isn't angle of the mound a great one. You can never please everyone, someone always grizzles :)

Too true. We had to change our mounds slightly after the new Range Inspector did his thing last year, and the result was we ended up with our mounds being steeper than before the works. Almost all the F-Classers in our club overnight had to go back to the shed and build platforms or boards to lift our rear bags. One part of the current mounds work is to rectify this a little and get consistency across all mounds.

mike H

#8 Postby mike H » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 pm

As I understand it,the fall on military ranges was one foot in twelve feet.
Mike.

Return to “General Forum”