Website Connectivity Issues

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PhilD

Website Connectivity Issues

#1 Postby PhilD » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi Graham/Alan,

Great job on the website updates and I appreciate all your efforts.

One issue, that seems to be still affecting folks, the DNS registration seems to be still having issues.

I'm getting about a 50% success rate when I connect from work (aapt provider) and zero connectivity from home / mobile (telstra). Seems to be fine for short periods, then long periods where you can't connect.

I also get a failure if I try and do an NSLOOKUP against 8.8.8.8, the public DNS service provided by Google. As well as DYN DNS and Advantage DNS.

Hope this info helps.

Once again, thanks for the great work.

Phil

PhilD

Re: Website Connectivity Issues

#2 Postby PhilD » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 pm

One quick note.

If I manually set my DNS resolver to OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 I have success.

Phil

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank goodness that wasn't about shooting. It went so far over my head, I'd need a shotgun to bring it down. :shock:

lonerider43

#4 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:28 pm

i get the same problems [i think]
very hit and miss.
[Ausbbs provider.]
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

GrahamW

#5 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:07 pm

The main issue people will get is due to ISP caching, what this is is where your ISP stores in a cache the web sites you frequent so they save on bandwidth by not having to download the same content each time you visit.

Some of the ISPs (particularly the bigger ones) are very "aggressive" with their caching. This saves them millions of dollars every year in bandwidth costs and in turn they offer a "discounted" fee or "extra/unlimited" bandwidth with their plan where in fact they are forcing you to use "out of date" data to save the bandwidth usage.

"Generally" a forced refresh (control+f5 [sometimes several times]) will sort it. Other times you will need to delete all your browsing data ( i.e. Clear browser cache).

Another option is to use the "browse incognito" option available with most modern browsers.

In any case... "eventually" the ISP and browser cache will get updated and any inconsistencies should vanish.

I should point out... all of this is out of our control and everything that could be done to make the transition smooth was done.
That being said... I am very interested in hearing from everyone that had or is having any issues with the new setup.

Don't be shy, if you don't tell us we will likely never know.!

8-)

PhilD

#6 Postby PhilD » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi Graham,

This is partly true.

There is also an issue I believe where the hosting provider is not doing their bit. The fact that several of the bigger DNS providers still don't have the propagated entries is a bit worrying. Typically DNS propagation should not take longer than 6hrs for most name servers.

A lot of the ISPs will be pulling their DNS records from these core providers.

Anyway, that is about the limit of my skills in this area, I thought I'd raise it so you were aware, in case others were also experiencing issue :P

Of course, if they cant get on here, they can report or see any work arounds :P :P

Cheers,

Phil

mike H

#7 Postby mike H » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:28 pm

It may be time to draft the intelligentsia from the non intelligentsia,I have no idea what the original poster was about,but when my old mate JK had no idea as well,I should slink away perhaps.it is time to decide whether some of these questions pass the pub test,ie would the average person after 3or 4 beers have any idea what the subject is.

macguru

#8 Postby macguru » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi Phil et al, I did the forced refresh thing for each of my computers and the website seems to be loading reliably now. If I see any more issues I will let you know :)

Mac Guru
id quod est

Razer

#9 Postby Razer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 pm

I have a Microsoft phone (Lumia 640), IPad, and my PC running Windows 10 and can honestly state that I had no issues whatsoever! Must be lucky, as like johnk, all the above was way over my head. So far in fact that a shotgun would not get close. Anti-aircraft gun might!

GrahamW

#10 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:28 pm

PhilD wrote:Hi Graham,

This is partly true.

There is also an issue I believe where the hosting provider is not doing their bit. The fact that several of the bigger DNS providers still don't have the propagated entries is a bit worrying. Typically DNS propagation should not take longer than 6hrs for most name servers.

Actually Phil, the host has very little part in how quickly DNS propagates. It is primarily reliant on ISP & Domain Registrar DNS updates.

Here's a link to Understanding DNS by Netregistry AU.

Here's a link to a fairly basic but easy to understand explanation of DNS propagation (again by Netregistry AU).

The only time propagation would be affected by the host is when the A records for a particular namesever were changed and even then it depends on ISP records being updated.

PhilD wrote:A lot of the ISPs will be pulling their DNS records from these core providers.

The ISPs pull their records from the Domain Registrars. While most of the main Aussie registrars update their records every few minutes some of the smaller ones can often only update every 48 hours to reduce server load etc. This is why it's best to register your domain through either a well known, reliable registrar or a re-seller for a well known, reliable registrar.
(yes, I know.... How the hell does the everyday Joe know the difference... Google and research is the easiest way.)

GrahamW wrote:The main issue people will get is due to ISP caching, what this is is where your ISP stores in a cache the web sites you frequent so they save on bandwidth by not having to download the same content each time you visit.

I should point out that the caching I was referring to here has nothing to do with DNS but simply a bandwidth/money saving method used by (some) ISPs.

PhilD wrote:Anyway, that is about the limit of my skills in this area, I thought I'd raise it so you were aware, in case others were also experiencing issue :P

Of course, if they cant get on here, they can report or see any work arounds :P :P

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks Phil, always happy to hear any feedback on everybody's experience with the changeover, but as you say, if they still can't get on here it's a bit hard for them to report an issue.

8-)

Jase PTRC

#11 Postby Jase PTRC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 am

I have tried all of the suggestions listed by you guys to get this site to load on my desktop with out success. I have no issue at all using my smart phone though. On my desk top i have even tried using a different web browser that my normal one which is chrome. I just keep getting the same error.
Ozfclass.com's server DNS address could not be found

GrahamW

#12 Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 am

Jase PTRC wrote:I have tried all of the suggestions listed by you guys to get this site to load on my desktop with out success. I have no issue at all using my smart phone though. On my desk top i have even tried using a different web browser that my normal one which is chrome. I just keep getting the same error.
Ozfclass.com's server DNS address could not be found

mmm, not good.. 8-/ The error you're getting would indicate your ISP doesn't have the updated DNS

Let's try a couple of things anyway....

Firstly, here's a link to some info regarding Browser/ISP cache

Another method to force a fresh reload in Chrome is...
1) press F12 (this enables the developer console)
2) Right click the Refresh button and select "Empty cache and Hard reload" (see pic below)

empty-cache.png

After doing all you can to clear your browser cache, in chrome try opening a new "incognito" window (Ctrl+Shift+N) and type in or copy/paste the full URL as follows.... http://www.ozfclass.com

If you're still getting the DNS error you may need to contact your ISP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanF

#13 Postby AlanF » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:16 pm

My apologies also to anyone having problems. Graham's knowledge and experience in these areas far surpasses mine and he is putting in a lot of time and effort to get things perfected for everyone's benefit. Please be patient - we don't want to lose members - you are what the forum is.

Jase PTRC

#14 Postby Jase PTRC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Ok i have found that if i try to connect at work through telstra internet it wont work. If i go on my phone which is on a plan with optus internet it works. When i get home and try to connect through wifi which is tpg it doesnt work.

phillh

#15 Postby phillh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:19 pm

My android Sony phone still won't bring the web site up. I have tried erasing the saved bookmark and searching google but still no joy.

Desktop computer no problems.

Regards,

Return to “General Forum”