Advice on omark needed.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Lammi

Advice on omark needed.

#1 Postby Lammi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Hey lads, I'm trying to get into a .308 target rifle fit for competing in F/TR type matches. Ultimately after practice & learning to read conditions this is what I would like to do. I'm new to shooting. Anyhow, from what I have researched a good starting rifle will be an omark 44. I can't find a lot of information on these rifles, so I would appreciate if someone could tell me what to look for when buying one & what I would need to make sure of before I expect a decent amount of accuracy.

Thanks in advance.

Cutanything

Re: Advice on omark needed.

#2 Postby Cutanything » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 am

http://m.usedguns.com.au/Product_Desc.aspx?Pid=93777. And no this is not my rifle just a suggestion
Last edited by Cutanything on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lammi

#3 Postby Lammi » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Yes mate there's a plethora of Omarks for sale on various websites, but I don't know what I'm looking for, and I can't really find much information on them, so I can't tell which one to buy is the right one.

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Best to take someone with you that is familiar with Omarks and knows what to look for.
You run a risk purchasing sight unseen.
Barrel could be worn out.
Locking lugs worn giving excessive headspace.
Terrible trigger.
Is it fitted with an adaptor for fitting ANY make of barrel?
If Barrel is good --what twist? How long ? Needs to be 28" at least. Needs to be at most 12 twist or something faster for heavy projectiles ( like 175, 185 etc ) -- for FTR
Then it needs to be fired to prove accuracy.
Something to think about.
Barry

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Where are you located? I reckon that your best bet would be to get local help, except from anybody who says "I have this Omark for sale that's perfect for a beginner". What they mean is they've sized you up as being inexpert & are betting that you'll never know that it's the gun & not you that can't group.

Razer

#6 Postby Razer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:37 pm

This is why a location on a members profile is handy. :?:
I am about to reduce a few of my target and hunting rifles having come to the conclusion that age and mobility prevents/restricts me from enjoying my favourite sports.
I have a safe queen Omark that was bought for my son when he first started TR about 16+years ago.
It has been unused, but maintained for the last 14 years.
I did shoot it in Fclass briefly while I had my main rifle with a gunsmith and I can vouch for its accuracy.
It is is fitted with an adapter and a 28 inch 5 groove 13 twist Tobler barrel with just on 3000 rounds through it.
The trigger is excellent as I believe that it is a Davis trigger. :)
The stock is a TR stock with the sling rail needed to fit a bipod for FTR.
It is made from a beautiful piece of walnut, has adjustable cheek piece and the action is correctly bedded on Devcon.
The bolt has the correct large retaining pin for the bolt head.(this is essential for your safety).
All that is needed is a 20 Moa rail and a scope with rings.
This rifle is going to be sold virtually for its stock value!
I can assure you that I am not one of johnKs opportunist as I am in no rush to sell.
I also have a brand new Leupold VX3 8.5-25x50 target scope still in its box which at $1100 is over $300+ below current price.
I posted this just to give you and indication of what you should expect if you look around. It will eventually end up in the sales forum when I sort the rest of my gear.

Return to “General Forum”