Major Forum Changes

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

GrahamW

Re: Major Forum Changes

#16 Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:56 am

Razer wrote:
johnk wrote:
Razer wrote:Is it too much for members to at least put their state down as a prerequisite to membership?

Damn! I thought listing Brisbane was a fair hint.

:roll: =D>

Well that is even better John because we all know where Brisbane is, but some put nothing, zilch, zero, so could be from Timbuktu for all we know and postage rates from or to there are incalculable! :wink: :)

Ray, it would probably be enough to set a rule when posting items for sale to include a location.

I believe this would be better than forcing a location to be entered when registering as people move and don't always update their details, plus they might be advertising for someone else not located in the same area.

8-)

GrahamW

#17 Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:39 am

DenisA wrote:The new forum looks great!

Will we be able to embed video in a post?

Good to see you worked it out Denis.

I'll post the correct method below for the benefit of others.

video_posting2.png

Also, with videos, file size has no effect as they are actually loading from another site (youtube, twitch, vimeo, etc).

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 am

LOL, that's so typical of me, always doing things the hard way.

Razer

#19 Postby Razer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Quote: Ray, it would probably be enough to set a rule when posting items for sale to include a location.

I believe this would be better than forcing a location to be entered when registering as people move and don't always update their details, plus they might be advertising for someone else not located in the same area.

8-)
Thanks Graham.
Postage is sometimes dearer than the item and, some transfers from interstate registries are not worth the hassle. Handy to know a location, state usually is enough.

Also! While I am here. Is it possible to upload photographs and video straight from smart phones to the forum, or, do we need to go through other procedures such as Cloud, etc. I used Picasa but Windows 10 completely screwed that one. :evil:
Uploading to Facebook is so simple even I can do it, :roll: so, would something similar work with the forum? [-o<

GrahamW

#20 Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:52 pm

Razer wrote:Uploading to Facebook is so simple even I can do it, :roll: so, would something similar work with the forum? [-o<

Ray, below is a quote from "Jase PTRC" from earlier in this thread.....

Jase PTRC wrote:I have just posted some photos directly off my smart phone and it worked no problems, this is great to be able to post thing so easily now. Excellent work with the site guys.

So I guess.. Yes, is the answer to your question.

Although, I don't use facebook from my phone, so I can't comment whether it's as easy as with FB or not, I am sure it's a lot easier than it has been.
Best bet would be to jump on the demo forum and try it out.

To post photos (and most other file types) simply
1) Select the Attachments Tab below the editor window.
2) Click Add Files and select the file you wish to upload.

image-posting1.png

3) Click on Place inline.

image-posting2.png

Another simple method is to Drag & Drop the image/file into the editor window then Click on "Place inline"

8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Razer

#21 Postby Razer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks Graham.
I can upload straight from IPad which has Cloud and the only photo relevant was to do with topic,
Edit, also will upload straight from my photographs on IPad so should mimic this procedure from smart phone. \:D/
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8228&start=15

So I uploaded a fairly meaningless photo about WS2 coating of projectiles.
It doesn't show on the this forum but came up on the new one where I posted it.
Seriously need to refine my skills as it didn't really come up as a new post, but it is there.
Ray.

DenisA

#22 Postby DenisA » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Instead of location, what about a mandatory field for which rifle club the member belongs to?

What about the idea of adding profile pictures? People would be able to put a face to a name? Others would not be able to hide behind an alias. 500mfly forum has that down pat.

johnk

#23 Postby johnk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 pm

I can guarantee that club does not equate to location in my case.

ajvanwyk

#24 Postby ajvanwyk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 am

Alan & Graham,

Well done on starting the journey to bring the OzFclass forum into the 21st century. I really like the newly proposed look and feel and thought I would offer some comments/suggestions for you to consider.

1. Do you think there could be any value in creating additional categories under the technical section? My thinking here is that members looking for answers to specific questions may find it easier to search for the required posts. At times using the search function in the technical category can bring quite a large number of posts and topics - some relevant and others maybe not. These categories could be built around some of the most common areas i.e. Scopes; triggers; load development; projectiles etc.

I do understand though that such a change would create considerable work in categorizing all historical posts.... I am happy to help with that.

2. Would it be possible for your calendar to display all OPM's/ Queens and other shoots in the country in actual calendar format? I am either not aware of or can't find a location of the various competitions by day or month. From my admittedly limited knowledge I can only find where shoots for a particular state is listed from January through to December.
3. You are probably already on this... The recent announcements - which is currently the "Read this first" sections would need to be reworded to provide relevance. I do like the idea of it being on the front page as suppose to the actual discussion areas.
4. Photos and videos add so much context to the valuable information being provided by members and it has been a real shame where those links went missing or are no longer available. I am very happy that adding and retaining these items is a key functional improvement to the overall experience of the site. From my perspective it means that information will remain relevant and complete for a longer period of time.

Keep it up !

Albert
Albert
Rosedale Rifle Club
Australian Points Series

lonerider43

#25 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:48 am

probably a stupid Q,but will tapatalk work on it ?
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

GrahamW

#26 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am

ajvanwyk wrote:Alan & Graham,

Well done on starting the journey to bring the OzFclass forum into the 21st century. I really like the newly proposed look and feel and thought I would offer some comments/suggestions for you to consider.

Thanks Albert, your comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

ajvanwyk wrote:1. Do you think there could be any value in creating additional categories under the technical section? My thinking here is that members looking for answers to specific questions may find it easier to search for the required posts. At times using the search function in the technical category can bring quite a large number of posts and topics - some relevant and others maybe not. These categories could be built around some of the most common areas i.e. Scopes; triggers; load development; projectiles etc.

I do understand though that such a change would create considerable work in categorizing all historical posts.... I am happy to help with that.

Very good point.
Alan and I have actually discussed this and do have plans to categorise the forums to some degree. At this stage I'm not sure if this will be done prior to or after we go live on the new setup.
I would imagine some will be done prior and then the more tedious (historical) posts will be categorised over time after the move.

ajvanwyk wrote:2. Would it be possible for your calendar to display all OPM's/ Queens and other shoots in the country in actual calendar format? I am either not aware of or can't find a location of the various competitions by day or month. From my admittedly limited knowledge I can only find where shoots for a particular state is listed from January through to December.

The calendar located in the left column of the home page currently doesn't function for anything other than display. I do hope to add a full featured event calendar at some point but this will need some discussion as to whether it's practical, considering most, if not all events are listed on the various State and NRAA sites it may be adding a feature that's not really needed.

ajvanwyk wrote:3. You are probably already on this... The recent announcements - which is currently the "Read this first" sections would need to be reworded to provide relevance. I do like the idea of it being on the front page as suppose to the actual discussion areas.

Yes, announcements will be re-worked, some announcements need to be Global and others category based. This will be done once we move to the new system.

ajvanwyk wrote:4. Photos and videos add so much context to the valuable information being provided by members and it has been a real shame where those links went missing or are no longer available. I am very happy that adding and retaining these items is a key functional improvement to the overall experience of the site. From my perspective it means that information will remain relevant and complete for a longer period of time.

Keep it up !

Albert

Thank you for your input, every bit helps.

Graham 8-)

GrahamW

#27 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm

lonerider43 wrote:probably a stupid Q,but will tapatalk work on it ?

At this stage, I don't think so.
Not something I've ever used but you're welcome to try it and let me know.

There are phpBB extensions for Tapatalk, which I believe need to be installed for it to work.
I'll have a look into it and see what can be done.

8-)

lonerider43

#28 Postby lonerider43 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:51 pm

i only ask because it seems to be the "in thing" on another hunting forum.
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

GrahamW

#29 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm

lonerider43 wrote:i only ask because it seems to be the "in thing" on another hunting forum.

I had a quick look today and there seems to be quite a few issues at the moment with it breaking several aspects of the latest phpBB.

I will have another look at it further down the track.

8-)

GrahamW

#30 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm

ajvanwyk wrote:2. Would it be possible for your calendar to display all OPM's/ Queens and other shoots in the country in actual calendar format? I am either not aware of or can't find a location of the various competitions by day or month. From my admittedly limited knowledge I can only find where shoots for a particular state is listed from January through to December.

Albert, today I installed a calendar/event system on the demo forum, please take a look and have a play with it.

The way it works is this....

It's currently only enabled in the "Events" forum.

Click on "New Topic" to post a dummy Event
There is now a Calendar Tab below the editing window (near the attachments tab), select Calendar tab.
Give the event a Name, select Type of event from the drop down list (only have 3 types set at the moment)
Select the From/To dates of the event.
Enter a description of the event and a topic Subject/Title and click on Submit or Preview.

Now at the top under the header you will see a list of upcoming dates.
(Not much there yet, just a couple of events Alan & I did to test it.)

When someone views your new post they have the option of selecting if they will, won't or maybe attending.
When you mouse-over the event in the list under the header it shows a list of those attending.

The Upcoming dates display can be switched on/off as you like.

There is also now a Calendar link in the top Navbar (near the Quicklinks dropdown) that takes you to the calendar page where you can view all listed events month by month.

Eventually I envisage all events being posted and added to the calendar and simply the dates updated annually.

8-)

Return to “General Forum”