F Standard - F Open

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Tony Q

F Standard - F Open

#1 Postby Tony Q » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:14 pm

Im sure that this question has hit the curiosity spot with many shooters.

What F Class (Std or Open) do you shoot and why? What are your goals and aims?
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Tony Q

#2 Postby Tony Q » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:21 pm

I shoot F Standard for a few reasons.

1.I have always preferred minimal equipment specification.

2.I have a liking for the .308 and prefer the limitations of one caliber.

3.I feel that Standard Class places a higher demand on me to perform well.

4.Its more purist and less techno weighted.

Goals and Aims

1.To do as well as I can with the limitations of the equipment and caliber.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Keith. L.

#3 Postby Keith. L. » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:29 pm

I shoot "F" class because I am no longer able to shoot TR competitively.Standard was chosen because I did not need the expense of another barrel and the added expense of feeding a 6.5 br or the like. The "F" class open target for all may be the way for the future as good scores can be shot on this target with standard gear.

Cameron Mc

#4 Postby Cameron Mc » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:27 pm

I went to F Open after having an elbow injury. I shot TR for quite a few years before this. I enjoy the technical side of firearms as well as actually shooting.
I do as much work as possible when building a rifle for competition. Being able to choose different calibres, projectiles, powders etc is right up my alley. Shooting a very accurate rifle correctly and mastering the conditions (not always) is the icing on the cake.

My thoughts
Cameron

S.Scheske

#5 Postby S.Scheske » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:47 am

I shoot STD so I can kick bretts ass as much as I can... and once every now and then Tony... :twisted: *i dont think i have beaten you yet have i tony? I cant remember its been TO LONG! * lol
Sam Scheske
CTRC
2004 ADFC Rifle Team

RAVEN

#6 Postby RAVEN » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:03 am

I am from a hunting background and have shot since I was 7yr old. I have always been interested in bench rest style shooting and load development.
Due to work commitments with myself and other M8s it was increasingly difficult to get away to hunt.
I had done quit a bit of clay target shooting for a number of years but wanted to shoot rifle more often.
I started shooting centre fire Metallic silhouette but the rifle I had didn’t suit it to well but I still compete in rim fire silhouette.
Bruce Moulds introduced me to this sport 3-4 years ago and Aim hooked LOVE GADGETS and the idea of working up loads to get my rifle shooting as best it can

I am F-Class OPEN Man
223 and 308 just don’t appeal to me no real reason just quirky I guess!

Love the challenge of the wind reading and trying to better my scores.
The camaraderie of fellow shooters and club structure is great also.
Always counting the days till sat. when I get to have another go!
Cheers
RB :)

Simon C

#7 Postby Simon C » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:01 pm

STANDARD.....I have like Raven have come from a hunting background and shot Met. Sil in an effort to improve my skills and shoot more. It seemed a more natural progression. Although this was a real challenge, the nature of Met sil was not technical enough and did not reflect the way I hunt at all (95% of my hunting shot are taken prone).

In addition, I had commenced handloading over the past few years and got into accurising my rifles in an attempt to get the best out of them. Then I read a book called "Precision Shooting at 1000yds" which got me interested in long range shooting and asking a few questions. Spoke to a few people and came out to MBRC for a try. The guys at the club were more than welcoming and encouraging. Had rifle built by LF and Bingo!!....I'm on the mound every chance I get.

I must say that I dont see myself moving across to Open as I enjoy the simpler form associated with Std. Plus I like competiting against others where their are equip restrictions as per Std. I have not managed to shoot a possible (been close a number of times!). I would like to improve my wind reading further and eventually get a possible at some stage on whatever target is in front of me when the consensus is reached. Until then, I'm content just to participate and promote the sport to others and do the best i can with every shot I send downrange.
"Aim small, miss small"

Simon

Return to “General Forum”