Manual targets

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

mattk83

Manual targets

#1 Postby mattk83 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:20 am

Hi all

Just wondering what NSW clubs out there are still using manual targets as i am looking for a club to shoot at. Not interested in using the electronic targets and want to go back to the older better ways.

Matt

Ben F

Re: Manual targets

#2 Postby Ben F » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:42 pm

Lithgow uses manual targets on Saturday afternoons.
Be careful what you wish for, competitor marking.
If you are physically capable of pulling a target you are expected to.

RDavies

#3 Postby RDavies » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Where about in NSW are you?

mattk83

#4 Postby mattk83 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 pm

North sydney

Pommy Chris

#5 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:16 pm

In my experience electronics are more accurate overall providing targets are maintained properly. I have shot a Queens on manual targets and in the same comp challenged twice once was marked as a 5 it was actually a six, the other was marked as a six and it was an X. In a recent OPM I challenged a 5 it was again a successful challenge, people make mistakes and they do it often, in my opinion far more often than the computers do. I was at the butts marking with some very very experienced shooters, one of them said out loud,"I wonder if I should give them a six, then said, no it is a 5". I went to look, the bullet was clearly breaking the line at least half way across the line. Often markers on comps are not experienced shooters either, often younger people with little or no shooting experience. A poor marker can cost you a comp, and this is eliminated with electronic targets. There were some early issues with electronics, but most seem to have been ironed out.
We recently got a target camera for marking in club shoots (we cant afford electronics at the moment). This has made shoot much more fun as everyone is together, also the older members who were having issues due to ill health going to the butts no longer have to go at all and the younger members like myself are having a far far nicer time as I was going to the butts again and again so the older members did not have to.
I would be looking for a club with electronics myself.
Chris

johnk

#6 Postby johnk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Back in the pre-ICFRA target days, I held the Belmont 11 shot record at 300 yards on the competition target with 109/110. I challenged the last shot for a 10 & won it. When our marker came up to the clubhouse later to be paid, he apologised to me, telling me that the point I dropped was also close enough to be a 10, but he wasn't aware of using a gauge until I challenged.

Pommy Chris

#7 Postby Pommy Chris » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:37 pm

johnk wrote:Back in the pre-ICFRA target days, I held the Belmont 11 shot record at 300 yards on the competition target with 109/110. I challenged the last shot for a 10 & won it. When our marker came up to the clubhouse later to be paid, he apologised to me, telling me that the point I dropped was also close enough to be a 10, but he wasn't aware of using a gauge until I challenged.

Exactly my point. People are worried about electronics costing them a point, but the reality is manual marking will cost you more points.
Problem we have with electronics is if a person's shot does not come up the electronic target is blamed, but how often the shooter has the wrong elevation or shot on the wrong target, or even simply wound the wrong way and missed the target. This happened recently at a Queens, the target was actually initially blamed, but the shooter was found to be at fault.
Chris

Return to “General Forum”