Projectiles for F Class

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

bsouthernau

Projectiles for F Class

#1 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Got the latest ATR in the mail today. Can you imagine my surprise to see a suggestion in the Chairmans Message that "F Class" should standardise on three projectiles to enable bulk purchase, lower price, blah, blah. I'd have a bit more sympathy for this were it not for the fact that the NRAA has been increasing the number of projectiles approved for TR, and consequently F Std, over recent years. He's therefore talking about FTR and FO. I know pretty well all FTR shooters use .308 but there are still two legal cartridges so that leaves ONE PROJECTILE for FO. Get real !!!

AlanF

Re: Projectiles for F Class

#2 Postby AlanF » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:51 pm

Yes, I read that and didn't twig that it must be F-Open and F/TR he's talking about.

Hmm, looks like F/TR will have to use F-Std projectiles then :D . And let's see, for F-Open 7mm, 6.5mm and 6mm can each have one :roll: .

It appears that our Chairman does not understand what F/TR and F-Open are. Unfortunately, this is only going to get worse, because no F-Class shooters put their hand up for Board nomination.

Razer

#3 Postby Razer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Won't work.
Needs a few letters from state associations and individual shooters to the chairman that we shoot FO and FTR to ICFRA regulations so all they will achieve by restricting projectiles is to undermine the competitive ability of Australian shooters, which for our national association is self destructive?
It will stifle innovation and eventually diminish shooter numbers which is the last thing we need.
As the National body representing some of the best shooters in the world, it is the shooters who tell the board what they need to be competitive, not the board dictating to the shooters.
Nuf said, it is getting late and I might say something about the NRAA that I might regret in the morning. :twisted:
For the first time in too many years to remember I did not bother with subscribing to the Target magazine as the content has been slowly diminishing in every category.
This should be the flagship of the NRAA so that we can show prospective members just what we do, but it fails miserably to arouse any enthusiasm at all.
As FTR and FO use mainly Berger and Sierra projectiles, does it matter how many differing weights and types are in the mix? An order is an order whether it be 10,000 of one type or 5 types in 2000 lots! [-X

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Out of touch... what else can you say. Let's just hope they don't make the only fo projectile a .257 or .277...

jasmay

#5 Postby jasmay » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:43 am

AlanF wrote:Yes, I read that and didn't twig that it must be F-Open and F/TR he's talking about.

Hmm, looks like F/TR will have to use F-Std projectiles then :D . And let's see, for F-Open 7mm, 6.5mm and 6mm can each have one :roll: .

It appears that our Chairman does not understand what F/TR and F-Open are. Unfortunately, this is only going to get worse, because no F-Class shooters put their hand up for Board nomination.

After looking into the nomination process (and how convoluted it is) I found I simply didn't have enough time to put in for it this year, I hear some spots are opening again next year, I'll be planning ahead this time to gather the required components and support.

As for projectiles, what's a bulk purchase? 300 projectiles per year per shooter? Its quite obvious berger cannot supply the extreme quantities we would want of the most popular projectile anyway so the argument for it is null and void.

bsouthernau

#6 Postby bsouthernau » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:47 am

To be fair he did say three MAIN projectiles, not ONLY three. Still seems a bit odd though. I counted this morning and there are currently THIRTEEN approved for TR/F Std. Also did a head count on the Rolph series - 75 F Class, 66 TR.

macguru

#7 Postby macguru » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:37 am

If you made it a .22 projectile then it would fit all f open calibers ....
id quod est

bainp

#8 Postby bainp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 am

I know this is off topic but the quote below was expressed under this topic.
For the first time in too many years to remember I did not bother with subscribing to the Target magazine as the content has been slowly diminishing in every category.
This should be the flagship of the NRAA so that we can show prospective members just what we do, but it fails miserably to arouse any enthusiasm at all.

The NRAA magazine "Australian Target Rifle" relies entirely on the membership sending articles to the editorial staff. Unless the shooters of a discipline are enthusiastic enough to send the articles, you won't get any stories about that discipline published. You can't blame the NRAA for lack of interesting articles, unless we are happy for the fees to be increased substantially, so that more editorial staff can be employed to write the stories.
Regards Philip

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:16 am

Philip,

Many F-Class shooters have supported the TR magazine throughout their careers, both in terms of subscribing to it and providing articles. But any objective analysis of the magazine indicates it is aimed for its readership primarily at the TR discipline. I have nearly all issues back to no. 1 and you only have to look at the front covers to see that. There are only 3 issues out of about 125 that have a telescopic sight on the front cover, the latest one being 70 issues ago, which showed F-Class Queens winner the late Bill Parow. Nearly all other covers show a TR Queens winner.

Now that most prize meeting and other results are being provided online and with the vast majority of shooters having internet access, I cannot see subscriptions to ATR increasing for any discipline let alone F-Class. Perhaps its time for the NRAA to seriously consider moving its hardcopy magazine onto its website.

BTW any movement on the rescheduling of the Coonabarabran 1500?

Alan

ShaneG

#10 Postby ShaneG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:50 pm

What Alan wouldn't point out is that after Australia won the Gold medal for the Teams at Raton in 2013- - a first and most significant event - the World Cup held every 4 years
Alan being a proud member of that team!
Guess what? The magazine featured a TR shooter on the cover!
Grrrrrrr!
Rolling the yanks at their home ground got an article buried in the back pages!

johnk

#11 Postby johnk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Wasn't that what Philip just said, that ATR publishes what it's given.

As far as the photos & article that appeared on the NRAA & QRA web sites was concerned, I stole those photos from the McEwans' Facebook page & wrote those stories because NRA got nada from team management, and I am quite sure that they asked for just that information.

ShaneG

#12 Postby ShaneG » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for your unknown effort John!

There must be a lot more literary minded TR shooters I guess than F ?

I was unaware of any such request or I would have helped.
We actually got our local 2013 team members (5) together with our Fed MP for a local tv news slot.

With a much greater Australian participation in Canada in 2017 I surmise we will have better pr team members to bring the news of Australia's success?!
We had minimum numbers in 2013 and everyone worked extremely hard especially the coaches.
Some people needed 12 months to recuperate so I guess writing reports was the last thing on their mind.

With a professional report and photos we will see a front cover for F Class then?

Return to “General Forum”