New blow off shot rules

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

johnk

Re: New blow off shot rules

#31 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:54 pm

What, that people run shots down the bore on the side of the road in the Brisbane CBD?

jasmay

#32 Postby jasmay » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:48 pm

johnk wrote:What, that people run shots down the bore on the side of the road in the Brisbane CBD?

They come from far and wide to the events.....

ShaneG

#33 Postby ShaneG » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Attn Rod D
The best barrel I have ever had took 12 rounds to completely settle after a full clean but would then go on for quite a number.
So why do people fight change so much!? I really don't get it?

The NRAA have agreed to blow offs but they won't apply it?

So Bill Clinton knows about oral sex but doesn't condone or conduct same?
Am I confused?

So we now can do blow offs according to the rules but it won't be incorporated in the shoot rules?

Oh dear, can someone help clarify what century we are in?

AlanF

#34 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Little by little, shoot organisers will come on board I hope, and those that don't may lose "customers". I think the ultimate solution will be to have "bore conditioning" sessions at the beginning of each day's shooting. As said in an earlier post, it can be done so as not to add any time to the program, except that those shooters who choose to use fouling shots may use more of their allotted time for the first range of the day. I am going to raise it as a possibility for our March OPM at Rosedale.

johnk

#35 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:19 pm

ShaneG wrote:So we now can do blow offs according to the rules but it won't be incorporated in the shoot rules?

So tell me, in group squadding, how would you organize an event so each shooter could have his blow off shots when the previous shooter has completed - while targets to each side were still shooting their string? Or would you require each target to complete, say, shooter 1, then only drop the targets & have a blow off sequence for shooter 2, etc?

Bisley manages blow off shots because shooters are presquadded in pairs or threes to attend at a nominated time, and once in place, they shoot blow off shots during a designated period, after which the match starts. Presupposed is adequate time between squads - weather permitting. The US only provides for blowoff shots in events in accordance with, or mimicking ICFRA rules. Their local rules generally provide for unlimited sighters.

In any case, in both examples, they have access to generous target numbers compared to ours. The Brits pay through the nose for the privilege & the Americans, by competitor marking. What should we opt for in our case - smaller fields, or fewer matches?

AlanF

#36 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:34 pm

John,

I think unlimited non-convertible sighters on the first range of the day (with no extra time allowance) is the way to go. There is no advantage because everyone is allowed to do it. There would be a need for ETs to accept it, but that shouldn't be a problem. If there is a concern about wear on the targets, then perhaps a limited (but adequate for the purpose) number of non-convertible sighters

Alan

DenisA

#37 Postby DenisA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:17 pm

ShaneG wrote:Attn Rod D
The best barrel I have ever had took 12 rounds to completely settle after a full clean but would then go on for quite a number.
So why do people fight change so much!? I really don't get it?

The NRAA have agreed to blow offs but they won't apply it?

So Bill Clinton knows about oral sex but doesn't condone or conduct same?
Am I confused?

So we now can do blow offs according to the rules but it won't be incorporated in the shoot rules?

Oh dear, can someone help clarify what century we are in?

So now I'm really confused, can we or can't we have oral sex and blow offs at the zero range before a Queens!?

Does Bill Clinton condone barrel fouling before a Queens!?

:lol: :P

I reckon we settle it by saying that at the first range of each day every one gets 1 non-convertible sighter prior to their convertible sighters. Regardless of being able to see the score.
Last edited by DenisA on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chopper

#38 Postby Chopper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:29 pm

CAN OF WORMS HERE :o AAH the good old days , Chop

Chopper

#39 Postby Chopper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Why not make the targets big again >, it has to stop somewhere , :evil: Chop

plumbs7

#40 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks guys for another good thread ! I'm with Alan and Denis ! Non convertible sighters is a must ! But whether just an extra sighter or unlimited sighters in the allowed time ?

With most scopeies finish with heaps of time anyway ( especially Mat P lol!). So unlimited sighters maybe an unfair advantage for some shooters ... maybe ?

What if if it was 2 Fowlers non convertible and then 2 sighters all still at the first range and in the allotted time ?

I would be all for the unlimited Fowlers if the target was not plugged and marked ?
Maybe that's how all Fowlers should be ? That is not marked ? Or is that what everyone is proposing?

DenisA

#41 Postby DenisA » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:13 pm

300y X and 6 rings already get annihilated quickly without any additional shots and 300y is generally the first range of the first day. If any additional fouling shots were to be allowed on the mound, when deciding on the number of shots we would have to be mindful of target condition. Could start major events at 1000y! Pretty sure there are a few that have said in the past that they like that idea.

plumbs7

#42 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 pm

DenisA wrote:300y X and 6 rings already get annihilated quickly without any additional shots and 300y is generally the first range of the first day. If any additional fouling shots were to be allowed on the mound, when deciding on the number of shots we would have to be mindful of target condition. Could start major events at 1000y! Pretty sure there are a few that have said in the past that they like that idea.

Denis that would be interesting and this brings into another point whether 300 yds should be omitted or not ? But that's another thread !

An easy way to have Allan's idea maybe to have unlimited Fowlers in your allotted time but..... just shot at the back stop and any shot that accidentally mark your target is your first sighter! That would keep everyone honest.
After Fowlers take your first 2 convertible sighters as per usual.

Shooting into the bank for the first range would work for a Queens and give nobody a wind advrage other than puffs of dust !
What do people think?

AlanF

#43 Postby AlanF » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:32 pm

plumbs7 wrote:Shooting into the bank for the first range would work for a Queens and give nobody a wind advrage other than puffs of dust !
What do people think?

There are problems with that - particularly with ETs, most of which are left up. Even with manual targets, it would require a huge amount of additional communications between mound and butts to get individual targets raised and lowered. I think the additonal target wear would just need to be factored in

plumbs7

#44 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm

AlanF wrote:
plumbs7 wrote:Shooting into the bank for the first range would work for a Queens and give nobody a wind advrage other than puffs of dust !
What do people think?

There are problems with that - particularly with ETs, most of which are left up. Even with manual targets, it would require a huge amount of additional communications between mound and butts to get individual targets raised and lowered. I think the additonal target wear would just need to be factored in

I was thinking the same and the RO would have a break down trying to communicate things as you say Allen .
But being Scopies , could we shoot above the target then into the backstop for manual and as somebody mentioned before with ets , just don't show your Fowlers ?
Which would not be too much drama , you just don't reset the ets until your sighters . Still all in the time limit?

Razer

#45 Postby Razer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 pm

AlanF wrote:
What do people think?

I thought that the idea was just for fouling shots, if so, then why is a scoring target needed which gives conditions feedback?
Why not a dead unmanned non ET target at the end of the butts where shooters can just point and fire.
Needs no maintenance, shooters can line up and shoot at RO's discretion. At every range if need be!
First down get to shoot first, that is of course, those that really need to foul the barrel?

Return to “General Forum”