New blow off shot rules

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

plumbs7

New blow off shot rules

#1 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Was Just wandering if and when are these new ssr rules will take effect and how too? :shock:

johnk

Re: New blow off shot rules

#2 Postby johnk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:35 pm

plumbs7

#3 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Rules 3.3.5 and 4.2.1.15 – These refer to the Rules about “Blow-Off” or Fouling shots. The NRAA has removed the restriction on these. In line with common practice in the ICFRA Rules they are now allowed. However the Board does not propose to adopt the practice of allowing a “Blow-Off” period on the first range of the day. Shots at a venue such as a Zero range are acceptable.

So now it's allowed, but don't hold your breath at seeing it at a prize meet or Queens?
Personally, I think it's part of the skill in managing your barrel and you should be reading on the mound for your first sighters of the day!
What do others think?

SunnyCoast 5r

#4 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:58 pm

I am not familiar with many ranges but do many have a short 'zero' range where you could fire fouling shots? If these are not available would fouling shots just effectively be extra sighters?

This change makes it very difficult for clubs with existing facilities to accomodate fouling shots. Perhaps we could seek some deeper understanding as to why this rule was changed...there must be some push for it...

And why the confirmation about the illegality of muzzle brakes...have some clubs been overlooking this rule?

All very confusing to a newer shooter.

Might have thought that the most pressing need for rule changes might be around the evolving techniques for shooting on electronic targets; or clarity on wet weather covers/tents to enhance shooter safety.

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:49 am

John, does this mean that blow off shots are only allowed in teams events 4.2.1.15 or does the previous rule 3.3.5 mean its now allowed across the board?

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:44 am

I think this rule is a step in the right direction, but would prefer going the whole way to what is done in the US. The way it has been here, there has been an unfair advantage to those who live locally and have been able to foul their barrels on their own properties on the morning of the shoot (or worse, on the roadside). Also the zero ranges where they are available are already being used for fouling by some of us. In my experience there are occasional barrels whose first few shots are impossible to predict to the precision required in the current standard of competition. Unfortunately there is only a handful of ranges that have zero ranges. This rule may put some pressure on those who don't provide facilities for fouling shots to do so.

johnk

#7 Postby johnk » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:34 am

You won't get any during the first day of the QRA Duncans & Queens.

Matches start at 8:00 which is the earliest allowable time to shoot on Belmont. Miss the start to foul & there will surely be repercussions.

Feel free to go to it when you're not scheduled to shoot or mark.

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:56 am

I didn't actually realise that you weren't allowed to use the zero range to foul before you shoot at a major event provided that your on the mound at the right time. So many people have been doing it at Belmont for as long as I've been shooting.

AlanW

#9 Postby AlanW » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:12 am

Rule 4.2.1.15 Allows Blow-Off shots at teams matches but no other shooting.

Steve N

#10 Postby Steve N » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:36 am

Is it possible to get a few shots to check zeros etc at Canberra before the Lead Up? Even the day before would be OK.

Steve

bartman007

#11 Postby bartman007 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:21 am

Steve, there is a SSAA range right next door. I believe some with dual membership have taken advantage of this.

As for blow off shots for mainstream events, isn't there some restriction around firing the shots inside 30 minutes to the commencement of that competition/range?

Like Alan says, the new ruling is a step in the right direction.

Maybe we can increase the number (with limit) of sighters on the first range of the day. As it is an ICFRA rule we should probably restrict it to FTR and F-Open at this stage. Which would reduce the impact on an event.

It has more benefit for F Open due to the drive to shoot more Super V's.
###

bartman007

#12 Postby bartman007 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:26 am

In line with not getting a wind reading advantage, it would be worth approaching ET manufacturers to see if the shot could be hidden during that BLOW OFF time. Simply indicate a HIT only, but show no location.

When the shooter nominates they are finished blowing off, then the ET can follow on to first sighter.
###

Tim L

#13 Postby Tim L » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:33 am

For those travelling, the ability to check zero before the comp is probably not a bad idea. Moreso where electronic targets are used.
At the bergers there are unlimited sighters (shot within the time limit for the shoot).
Mabe this could be adoped for the first range of any major comp. It doesn't eat into competition time.
We all have variable prep time. I know I'd rather be competing with people on a level field rather than getting the local advantage on the first range.

Steve N

#14 Postby Steve N » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Yeah I gave both of my barrels a good clean to remove built up carbon on Saturday then found our shoot cancelled on Sunday due to fires. No chance here now to get shots laid down before I go to Canberra. Thanks for the heads up on the SSAA range Mike. Anyone know if they are open on Monday or Tuesday?

Steve

Matt P

#15 Postby Matt P » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Footsore wrote:Yeah I gave both of my barrels a good clean to remove built up carbon on Saturday then found our shoot cancelled on Sunday due to fires. No chance here now to get shots laid down before I go to Canberra. Thanks for the heads up on the SSAA range Mike. Anyone know if they are open on Monday or Tuesday?

Steve

No sorry mate closed all next week :^o :^o 8) :mrgreen:

Return to “General Forum”