Range incident today

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Longranger

Re: Range incident today

#46 Postby Longranger » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:51 pm

I've seen a Ruger 270 that fired a 308 round. It held together but bulged the barrel. It was written off. Had it been a 25-06 the results may have been fatal. New shooters and even experienced ones make mistakes sometimes. I just don't want to be next to them on the firing line.....

KHGS

#47 Postby KHGS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Longranger wrote:I've seen a Ruger 270 that fired a 308 round. It held together but bulged the barrel. It was written off. Had it been a 25-06 the results may have been fatal. New shooters and even experienced ones make mistakes sometimes. I just don't want to be next to them on the firing line.....

Some of the things I have seen over 40 years of professional gunsmithing would curl your hair!!!
Keith H [-o<

Chopper

#48 Postby Chopper » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:43 pm

Be good to hear a thing or two Keith? May save an eye or two ? Chop

Robert Chombart

#49 Postby Robert Chombart » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:35 am

AlanF wrote:Nasty business and I hope there are no permanent injuries. I must say it sometimes surprises me that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. It needs to drummed in to everyone who reloads how dangerous it can be if you get things wrong - DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.

On a first shot, one can suspect several possibilities,, including a barrel obstruction?. The barrel does not always split, but bulges most of the tilmes.
There are Mausers and Mausers. I have seen the best and the worst (those ade after 1943)

R.G.C
R.G.C.

macguru

#50 Postby macguru » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:52 am

Question: (Probably for Keith or a Mauser owner)

If you tried to fire a short 308 in a long action push feed bolt gun the primer probably would not touch the pin ?

BUT if your mauser controlled feed bolt picks one up from the mag and the bolt closes, then the extractor's holding the round by the rim and its gonna go off, right ? So a 308 would chamber in a 270 class firearm and the 30 cal slug (obviously) has nowhere to go ?

Is that about right ?
id quod est

KHGS

#51 Postby KHGS » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 pm

[quote=]Question: (Probably for Keith or a Mauser owner)

If you tried to fire a short 308 in a long action push feed bolt gun the primer probably would not touch the pin ?

BUT if your mauser controlled feed bolt picks one up from the mag and the bolt closes, then the extractor's holding the round by the rim and its gonna go off, right ? So a 308 would chamber in a 270 class firearm and the 30 cal slug (obviously) has nowhere to go ?

Is that about right ?[/quote]

Roughly right. The taper of the chamber is greater with the '06 family of cases, so the 308 family of cases can wedge in the '06 chamber & provide a workable "headspace". Extractor clearance in a M98 is in the order of .050" which means that unless the cartridge is "held" back by a long bullet (in the case of 270 or 25/06) or the "interference" fit in the '06 chamber (this alone in 30/06) the cartridge would be unlikely to fire, but it is possible that it could. It is a case of "if it's possible it might".
Keith H.

johnk

#52 Postby johnk » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 pm

macguru wrote:If you tried to fire a short 308 in a long action push feed bolt gun the primer probably would not touch the pin ?

As I recall it, the .308 pill nicely stops at somewhere along the .270 shoulder/neck area & headspaces nicely.

But have a look at this Google search: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=.308 ... 8Afylae4Cg

macguru

#53 Postby macguru » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Right.. Got it .... Thats a massive bummer .... I hope all 308 shooters who also own a 270 are aware of this ....

(I looked at the 270 and 308 cases side by side and I can see what you mean ...)
id quod est

david6855

#54 Postby david6855 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:02 pm

http://saami.org/specifications_and_inf ... ations.pdf

I found this a while back while researching some ammo for a customer

Razer

#55 Postby Razer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:13 pm

david6855 wrote:http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_211-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

*******Was looking for this the other day to post. Thank you for posting it as it shows just what a minefield mismatching ammunition is.
Some of the combinations would definitely be lethal and this should be covered more thoroughly with licence applications.

DenisA

#56 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:33 pm

I'm amazed that there's actually a list like that. I'm not the brightest spark, but I'd have thought that it's not OK or safe to use any round in gun that doesn't match the chamber.

Its lists like this that make Darwin's theory of evolution obsolete. :lol:

Tim N

#57 Postby Tim N » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:30 am

I think a lot of this safety stuff is messing with natural selection :D
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

KHGS

#58 Postby KHGS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:44 am

Razer wrote:
david6855 wrote:http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_211-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

*******Was looking for this the other day to post. Thank you for posting it as it shows just what a minefield mismatching ammunition is.
Some of the combinations would definitely be lethal and this should be covered more thoroughly with licence applications.

As a professional gunsmith, one of my pet "hates" is those who fit barrels and do not stamp or engrave the caliber on the barrel. This happens a lot. Another thing I have encountered is chambers cut with tight necks & no specs of that stamped or engraved on the barrel either. I have seen rifles damaged that have had "neck turned" chambers cut with no I.D. & the unsuspecting owner/shooter has chambered & fired std ammo in it. I consider it to be unprofessional to (1 cut a chamber & not stamp the caliber on the barrel & (2 not identify that the chamber is not standard. [-X
Keith H.

david6855

#59 Postby david6855 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 pm

KHGS wrote:
Razer wrote:

As a professional gunsmith, one of my pet "hates" is those who fit barrels and do not stamp or engrave the caliber on the barrel. This happens a lot. Another thing I have encountered is chambers cut with tight necks & no specs of that stamped or engraved on the barrel either. I have seen rifles damaged that have had "neck turned" chambers cut with no I.D. & the unsuspecting owner/shooter has chambered & fired std ammo in it. I consider it to be unprofessional to (1 cut a chamber & not stamp the caliber on the barrel & (2 not identify that the chamber is not standard. [-X
Keith H.

That rings true a lot in hindsight for me, when I purchased my first Omark many years ago it had a brand new barrel fitted without any markings on the barrel. and it showed pressure signs using factory Ammunition and I even had a primer pocket blow out, I started hand loading for it with reduced charges and eventually only used cast gas check projectiles with no further problems. Now I find after many thousands of rounds, I can use standard loads with 2208 and Dyer HBC 155s with no problems now. Is it possible it had a tight chamber from new or possibly a tight neck?. It slugged out at .3075 when new. The late Syd Miller was my gunsmith back then and he slugged it for me.

Return to “General Forum”