Range incident today

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

macguru

Re: Range incident today

#31 Postby macguru » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:05 am

johnk wrote:
macguru wrote:Should we all be using safety glasses ?

Aren't you?

no, and neither is anyone else here
id quod est

DannyS

#32 Postby DannyS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 am

Here we go again, some dumb ass does something, then we all pay for it with more safety restrictions.
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Tim N

#33 Postby Tim N » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 am

Or someone gets to keep their eyes.
I'm guilty of not wearing safetys, SSAA insist on it at the Newcastle range.
Better start wearing them :!:
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

macguru

#34 Postby macguru » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:53 am

Tim N wrote:Or someone gets to keep their eyes.
I'm guilty of not wearing safetys, SSAA insist on it at the Newcastle range.
Better start wearing them :!:

Andrew clicks "LIKE" meaning= I agree Tim. Whenever I start experimenting a bit I think about it but if nobody starts doing it then it wont catch on ....
id quod est

DenisA

#35 Postby DenisA » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:55 am

Soooooo....... safety glasses for everyone except for FTR, those blokes have to wear welding masks. Bahahahaha.. Kidding, couldn't resist.

bartman007

#36 Postby bartman007 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:10 am

It's a bit like wearing push bike helmets. Someone made it compulsory because there were too many stupid people out there :shock:

But then it is like anything health/safety related, I beleive the individual should have the right to either wear safety glasses....or not.

Do you always wear sun screen when out at the range, or take the risk of not getting a skin cancer.

Same goes for hearing protection.

Let's not endure additional rules just because of the stupid few!
###

DaveMc

#37 Postby DaveMc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 am

The point is, we do not yet know whether this was negligence by the user and whether it is or not still raises some very important issues. Accidents happen in our sport and eyesight is the most likely casualty. We see enough firearms come through here severely damaged for many reasons to know the potential impacts on the user.

This could have been due to any one of many issues.

BUT
a) Do you look down the bore before you put the bolt in and check for obstructions. I know of one very prominent/competent shooter that saved himself a nasty injury by doing that very thing just recently! He also would be one of only a few I know that do this. We are "supposed" to clear the bore coming off the range but not all scorers are carrying out this duty properly and things can happen between coming off the range and turning up again that this should be part of everyone's routine.
b) It is compulsory to wear safety glasses on our range. I would take that a step further and highly recommend they are specially designed safety glasses with high impact resistance. If you get a set of prescription glasses made for shooting then please ask for high impact safety lenses and a large surface area.

Many ranges I have been on have made it compulsory and it is a growing trend for good reason - your own safety.
It doesn't have to be a rule just do it for your own safety - eyesight is hard to get back and sorely missed.

One of the things I like about F class - starting someone out in loading with a 308 and 155 grain pills is a relatively safe practice. I recommend 2208 to start with as it is difficult to get extreme pressures by error. I just highly stress 1) the importance of trimming to length, 2) recommend they clear the bore before shooting (normally with a patch to remove oil and any potential other obstructions + visually) and 3) also wearing good quality safety glasses in all shooting disciplines.

macguru

#38 Postby macguru » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 am

May I add a point for pushbike helmets .....

Even intelligent people do stupid things, because we are human. I have seen a friend mount a driveway at a bad angle, fall off and slide towards a concrete kerb with his head first. Another 5 inches and he would have been badly hurt. If not wearing a helmet possibly dead.

I ALWAYS look down the bore before i put in the bolt , doesnt everybody do this ??

Andrew
id quod est

johnk

#39 Postby johnk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:42 am

I must have been around too long. I've seen two burst barrels on Belmont range & one action damaged by rogue factory ammunition. I missed out on a bolt blowing back when the rifle went off with the action open because of ammo too large from the chamber. Only one of the four was shooter error.

I'm not suggesting that safety glasses should be mandated; they just seem to be the smart choice from my perspective. You see, no matter how I try, I can't walk on water.
Last edited by johnk on Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsouthernau

#40 Postby bsouthernau » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:53 am

DenisA wrote:Soooooo....... safety glasses for everyone except for FTR, those blokes have to wear welding masks. Bahahahaha.. Kidding, couldn't resist.

More name calling. A few days ago it was the MR crowd who were a danger to the world. Interesting that there's a bit of overlap between the two camps. :lol:

Barry

DenisA

#41 Postby DenisA » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Barry sledging is an important part of every Australian Sports. Don't get me started on Target Rifle, they should be banned. :P

I'm still trying to work out who our "Warney" is, I think it might be Sellsey, he's a dodgy look'n character and the name kind of has the same ring to it.

plumbs7

#42 Postby plumbs7 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:10 pm

I think it might be Sellsey, he's a dodgy look'n character and the name kind of has the same ring to it.[/quote]

Me sledging with a little banter ?? No such thing! Who is that Sells feller From Dalby/Tara? I hear he's a pretty crook shot and thinks he's a " Legend in his own lunch time!" :shock:

Seriously, I wear glasses when I shoot anyway and try to remember checking the bore before I shoot but do forget sometimes . I'll have to get in a habit !

SunnyCoast 5r

#43 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Sellsy, you will get a bit hot in a habit!

DenisA

#44 Postby DenisA » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:11 pm

I just spoke to staff at the range. Apparently the shooter did not want any medical attention and left abruptly, so why it happened, his condition and the how he's recovering is completely unknown at this point.

He had loaded a .308W round in to the rifle. He did not know what calibre the gun was and must have been coherent if he was ok to leave on his own. There were no markings on the barrel indicating the chambering.

johnk

#45 Postby johnk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm

I've seen photos of a .308 case fired in a .270 W chamber, but not the rifle itself. People were circumspect back then.

Return to “General Forum”