Range incident today

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Range incident today

#1 Postby DenisA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:56 pm

I was at the short range this morning doing a little load testing as usual. A younger bloke, R/H shooter setup up his gear on the bench to the left of me. He was about 3ish metres away from me. As he went to setup his targets during the cease fire I noticed his rifle. In my limited experience I haven't seen anything like it before. It looked pretty flash, not much of the receiver and a heavy looking stock. I couldn't work out what discipline he uses it for. The front rest was a cushion and no rear bag. I figured he must be pretty experienced at what ever he shoots.

Anyway, everyone comes back from the targets, the range is opened and he takes his first shot. WHACK!! I feel a heavy pain and thump in the back of my shoulder. I thought someone had bloody shot me. I turned to look at him to find blood running down his face. I called the R.O who came quickly. The shooter opened his left eye and everything was red with even more blood running out of it now. Don't know if that will recover.
Another shooter walked up and handed the R.O the shrapnel (extractor claw) that had hit me in the back and had gone flying. He saw it hit the fence with force about 8 metres behind me.

One of the R.O's helped the guy inside while others cleaned up his gear.

Speaking to the R.O, apparently the bloke had hand loads and didn't know what calibre he was shooting!!!????

Point is, even with decent space between the benches, other peoples negligence can so easily screw you over. It was lucky that the extractor claw didnt hit me in the face......... maybe eye.

Bolt wouldn't open afterwards.

I'm starting to realise that F-class not just a sport, its an EXTREME sport. We just need Redbull to sponsor us now.

Who can tell me what gun / action this is?

Last edited by DenisA on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jagumba

Re: Range incident today

#2 Postby Jagumba » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 pm

Wow!

Julian D

#3 Postby Julian D » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:33 pm

:shock:

On returning home from the NQ Queens a few months ago I was thinking about trying to get the local old aged care centre to sponsor a few events, but after seeing that, I think you might be right about a Red Bull sponsorship ! :D

Glad you are ok, and no real permanent damage done.

Razer

#4 Postby Razer » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:41 pm

You were extremely lucky to not suffer a worse injury.
I ,personally, have never seen a Mauser action destruct in the manner that one has! :shock:
Always a first time though, but how do these oddballs ever get to shoot alongside others?
Pleasing that you came out of it relativity unscathed.

Sam Walker

#5 Postby Sam Walker » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Some kind of ex-military Mauser action. Sounds like the owner was not the sharpest tool in the shed and has worn the consequences in a painful way. I hope there's no permanent damage but it sounds nasty.
Sam

KHGS

#6 Postby KHGS » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:31 pm

Ex-military Argentinian Mauser 98. Very strong action, if the gunsmithing was done right & the ammo was done right. There are shooters who do many dumb things!!!
Keith H.

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:01 pm

He says he was shooting hand loads but doesn't know what calibre????
It will be interesting to hear if it was an incorrect round chambered or a very unsuitable powder type?

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:02 pm

RDavies wrote:He says he was shooting hand loads but doesn't know what calibre????
It will be interesting to hear if it was an incorrect round chambered or a very unsuitable powder type?

The R.O checked his ammo and said they were handloads.

The shooter couldn't tell the R.O what calibre it was. Good chance he was a bit muddled after his gun let go.

lonerider43

#9 Postby lonerider43 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:34 pm

bloody hell mate.. :shock:
keep us informed if you can.
id like to know what went wrong...
Australian's Against "Gun-A-Phobia"

willow

#10 Postby willow » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:00 pm

That's not cool at all. Hope he doesn't lose his eyesight, but geez I'd be buggered if I'd be prepared to fire a rifle if I didn't know the calibre, or seen anyone else fire it previously.

jasmay

#11 Postby jasmay » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:47 pm

That is a stout reminder to us all...... Glad your ok Denis...

Yes, my first thought when I seen it was a mauser, looks like its had some work though, did they ever come polished like that Keith?

I hope the guy recovers and passes his lessons on....

KHGS

#12 Postby KHGS » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:25 am

jasmay wrote:That is a stout reminder to us all...... Glad your ok Denis...

Yes, my first thought when I seen it was a mauser, looks like its had some work though, did they ever come polished like that Keith?

I hope the guy recovers and passes his lessons on....

They were in the white but not polished. They are actually designated as Mod 1908 but they are actually M98. I wonder if it has been hard chromed? If so this is a no, no!!!!
Keith H.

John23

#13 Postby John23 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:30 am

Chicks dig scares Denis !
Glad your ok!

Bloke obviously never heard the expression "that you can only polish a turd so much"
That is the most barsterised looking old military rifle I have ever seen.
That rear scope mount ... :oops: :shock:

DenisA

#14 Postby DenisA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:28 am

The receiver was chrome plated. You can see the chrome peeling off at the top. There was a chrome flake on my bench afterwards.
Does chrome plating weaken metal Keith?

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:04 am

Nasty business and I hope there are no permanent injuries. I must say it sometimes surprises me that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. It needs to drummed in to everyone who reloads how dangerous it can be if you get things wrong - DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING.

Return to “General Forum”