2 Way Radios

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

2 Way Radios

#1 Postby Matt P » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:56 am

Hi All
Need some advice on which 2 way radios are suitable / best for range use. Specs models and what to look out for ??
Thanks
Matt Paroz

AlanF

Re: 2 Way Radios

#2 Postby AlanF » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 am

Matt,

I'd recommend a couple of things - AA (not AAA) batteries, get radios that are simple to operate (speak, on/off, vol, channel is all you need), and its best if there is no button on the opposite side from the speak button (when the speak button is pressed, most people squeeze the other side as well). Picking a good model, and avoiding lemons isn't easy. We have some very good Unidens, and some not so good Unidens. You need to talk to someone who has bought a current model and is happy with it.

Alan

johnk

#3 Postby johnk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am

Matt,

Depending on local traffic, if you buy open frequency stuff, be prepared to hear all about the sex life & body functions of the local B double cowboys.

The QMRA bought a pair of mid range Unidens about 12 years ago & they're still functioning fine with the above exception. They ran on 3 AA rechargeable which we replaced about 5 years ago with Evereadies.

John

Tetris

#4 Postby Tetris » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:07 pm

For around the $400+ you can get the Uniden Tradie pack. The five watt radios are the way to go for distance reliability. We have several at Lower Light. Three watt radio's run out of steam at the longer distances. Good luck.
http://www.uniden.com.au/australia/p_uh ... _index.asp

Peter Hulett

#5 Postby Peter Hulett » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:04 pm

VRA bought 4 Uniden tradie packs on my recommendation. Runs a Queens for me with no problems. Open channel is OK as they are 80 channel and most of the B- doubles don't go above 40. Belt clips are a bit easy to break but overall a great radio.

Peter

Longranger

#6 Postby Longranger » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:58 pm

I've found the GME handhelds tend to have superior audio quality over Uniden ones.

The pair I use for work are eighty channel 2 watt units and they work fine.

dave

#7 Postby dave » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm

hi matt

we have been using these for around 4 years.

perfectly clear/powerful from down in the butts (out of sight 10 foot down) to firing mound for over 1000yds.

waterproof, have tested on flat country to over 5km, batteries have been left on for 12 hours plus without problems.

actually, accidentally left them overnight on an exposed bench in frost conditions at this years SCC (jacko can verify) and worked fine the following day.

from memory, were delivered from overeseas in around 10 days

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10W-Walkie- ... 1255909561

I don't know anything about transceiver or technical guff.

only know they have done the job for us

cheers
dave

willow

#8 Postby willow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi Matt, at the cheap end of the scale and for something that will last, I'd look at this:

http://www.radiowarehouse.com.au/icom-i ... -way-radio

It has enough juice to be effective out to 800 metres, rain won't bother it, solid battery, 5 year warranty, made in Japan and simple to use.

Otherwise I can always hook you up with a $5000 encrypted Motorola :D

Return to “General Forum”