Advice? Camper trailer/caravan for family & PM's.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Advice? Camper trailer/caravan for family & PM's.

#1 Postby DenisA » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:03 am

G'day All,

I'd like to buy a camper trailer, hybrid or caravan so that amongst other things I can drag my wife, kids (7+9) and dog around to PM's.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount that's available and the heavy variation in quality and prices.

Tents :twisted: are definitely out of the question.

I'm finding it difficult to see the value in new gear and even second hand but it is what it is. I think off road is a key feature to maximise the amount of use it gets. I'm thinking possibly up to $20k for a camper trailer or if I see the worth maybe up to $40k for a hybrid or caravan.

I thought I'd see if anyone has advice for me as I'm sure there are a lot of factors/features that a new shopper doesn't consider that an experienced owner would have done differently.

Second hand V's new?
Camper trailer V's hybrid?
Ease of setup and pack up?
Off road V's not off road?
Dealers V's private sales?
Brands and quality?
etc...

saum2

Re: Advice? Camper trailer/caravan for family & PM's.

#2 Postby saum2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 am

If it was just the 2 of you, check out campamatic, less than a minute to set up. But as you have children, a second hand mobile home might be ok. probably not much good off road though.

bsouthernau

#3 Postby bsouthernau » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:13 pm

As Geoff says you're in a bit of a bind needing to house a family of four. Give some thought to towing costs. These mobile Taj Mahals you see can weigh several tonnes and moving them from one end of the country to the other doesn't come cheap. Eileen and I travel with a lightweight poptop caravan - a bit primitive by many peoples' standards but we're happy in it. Costs 3l/100km to tow and when we want to stop for the night we just pull in to a rest area, undo four clips to put the top up, turn on the gas and run out the power cord from the inverter in the back of the car. Maybe 3 minutes and we're set up, just as quick to get going in the morning.

I think really that the balance between money, features and convenience is a decision only you can make. If I was doing it again I think I'd want the solar power setup built in rather than the bits and pieces I assemble when we arrive at our destination and a permanently attached awning would be better than the current poles and guys annex.

Barry

GrahamW

#4 Postby GrahamW » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 pm

First thing you need to consider is the max weight your vehicle can tow, you can generally find this on the tag somewhere around the inner driverside door.

Next would be whether your vehicle is wired for electric trailer brakes, if not I'd recommend having it installed, most modern campers will (should) use electric brakes.

If you need to keep it light weight you will probably need to go with a camper trailer.
For ease of setup I'd look at the hard floor models. An annex is a must so look for a model that can open/close with the annex attached.

Generally the offroad models are more sturdy, have duel shocks and heavier coil springs, better dust seals on storage compartments etc.

For a bit more room & comfort without going to a full caravan there are plenty of used popup campers around in various sizes.

Gumtree is a great place to find used popups and camper trailers.

Again, the first thing to decide is what weight you can tow.

Cheers,
8-)

saum2

#5 Postby saum2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:28 pm

perhaps the question would be better on Exploroz forum, lots of advice on there.

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies so far gents.

Barry, the pop top style is appealing because of the ease as you've described. The rear fold style Camper trailers that have a hard fold out floor look reasonable also but the pop top style having less canvas for the basic setup which grabs me a little more. Great advice on the solar thank you.

With a limit of $40kish max I wont be dragging a shed around. The Ranger has a 3.5t tow rating which I'm certain I wont be any where near even fully loaded. A Kimberly Kamper rear fold camper trailer is said to weigh less than 1500kg loaded up and ready to go.

There is a lot of info available through various other forums. I thought I'd ask the PM shooting fraternity given I see stacks of different set ups at all the different meets I go to. PM's will be the majority of its use.

Having been looking on the internet at gumtree and such, I realise that these are the kind of thing that you have to go and see and get a feel for to make a reasonable decision. Photos make things looks much bigger than they are.

Thanks again.

browniedog

#7 Postby browniedog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:21 pm

go for a jayco pop top we have an swan and love it
Last edited by browniedog on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saum2

#8 Postby saum2 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Denis,
As you have a ranger, towing weight isn't a problem. We use our pop-top Van for the extended trips. D-max uses a little more fuel and travelling a bit slower towing.
I have set up my rifles in the drawer unit in the D-max, its lockable and I've made it quite dust proof. It complies with all firearms laws as my wife hasn't a firearms licence. I was leaving my gear in the back of the wagon with my wife, this in breach of storage laws. So something to consider also with how you set up your next purchase.
A pop top is easy to set up, but if you want an annex it takes a little more time. The annex is also good for sleeping the children.
have fun

Antony Cave

#9 Postby Antony Cave » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 pm

+1 on Jayco poptop
we have a 2015 Eagle Out Back, I've put a mchitch coupling up front and have lugged it into the high country quite a few times now, just pick fairly good tracks and it won't miss a beat.

As for PM's we didn't buy it for that but it has been to every one since owning it, it's bloody good to be able to reload on a good table with the heater on at night :D .

Set up and pack up can be done in under 10 minutes, if it's raining I can get it set up in a bit under 5.

I have a 2006 Navara D22 and it pulls it piece of cake.
Life is full of suprises, let your trigger break be one of them.

Brad Y

#10 Postby Brad Y » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:37 pm

F250 and 5th wheel mega van Denis. Buy once cry once :mrgreen:

Steve N

#11 Postby Steve N » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:00 am

Denis you have seen my van. The old Viscount survived the Bundaberg severe weather event of 2016 that saw sturdy structures smashed by immense winds and hurled over fences. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
That is far from what you need. You need something to impress. Something comfortable. Something at least 23 feet long wth full ensuite comfy bed and all the trimmings. Your missus will be pleading for you to take her away to prize meetings with you. :D :D .
As Brad said buy once cry once.
You might also need a pup tent for the kids. :) 8)
Steve.

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:23 am

Hey Dennis,
We have used pop tops, full size vans and tents, of the vans we preferred the full size ones with more cupboard space and ease of use while travelling ie lunch etc just open the door and use.
Currently we use a quality tent because I tow a 4wd buggy when going bush.
If the kids are old enough you might go for a smaller van and they can stay in the annex.
Good luck with choosing.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Pommy Chris

#13 Postby Pommy Chris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:38 am

I would go a hard top caravan, pop tops dont really weigh any less and are not any easier to tow. Problem with pop tops is first you loose cupboard space and they can leak where they pop up. The fold out caravans with the bedrooms that fold out of the ends are good, but if it is raining when you put it away you need to open it again when you get home and dry it out which is a pain in the butt IMO. Camper trailers are a total pain I hired one once and that was enough. You arrive after a long drive and you spend an hour setting up, then again if you pack up in the rain you need to do it all again at home :shock: no thanks.. Hard top caravan you pull over in a rest area, put the legs down and go to sleep. +1 for solar it is very handy. Re towing I use a 90kw Defender with a torque of 360nm and it pulls an older (20 years old I think) 16 foot van no worries at all. I normally get 9.5km/l which drops to 6 km/l when I have the van on so not that bad.
Chris

scott/r

#14 Postby scott/r » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 am

Another thing to consider is where you are going to park it at home and how much space you have for said parking. You may not have the room for a full sized van.

DenisA

#15 Postby DenisA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 am

Hi guys, thanks again for more info.

I was thinking that I'd prefer external slide out cooking features so that the mess, smoke, etc stay out side the sleeping quarters. Even its under an annex. All of the vans I've seen have internal cooking facilities which seems like a waste of interior space to me. Is this is a non issue?

Is buying an older larger second hand van risky business?
The trouble with a larger van is that I don't have a lot of room to store it.

I'm leaning towards something more compact.
2 options or alike that I like the idea of are:

1. MDC XT12, no a/c, new or used

2. Jayco Swan Outback, new or used

Return to “General Forum”