Advice? Camper trailer/caravan for family & PM's.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: Advice? Camper trailer/caravan for family & PM's.

#16 Postby AlanF » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Denis,

Just another angle to consider: I wouldn't write off tents completely. If your two kids are able to share a tent, the single pole canvas touring type are very quick to erect, and durable. This would open up other possibilities for your camper/caravan if only two beds are required in it. Most kids would prefer the independence from mum and dad.

Alan

jasmay

#17 Postby jasmay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Denis, my only advice is, if you do consider an off road camper, get a hard floor type, the are much easier to erect and dismantle, this is speaking from experience. I don't think 2nd hand is a bad way to go either, its a shame you only about a month late, my old man just sold his and we toured the whole of Australia around from Townsville to Broome, Perth, Radelaide and home. He bought it 2nd hand, it was a great camper and sold it on after use, condition was amazing consdierign the country we travelled.

One thing to consider however, is a true reality, when you start looking at 20K plus, and then the on goings, storage and ancillary equipment, it may well be cheaper and more comfortable to simply stay in accommodation. If you actually do the maths on this with some of the larger campers it is borderline.

DenisA

#18 Postby DenisA » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Alan. I agree, I'm certain they'll want their own tent in a few more years.

jasmay wrote:One thing to consider however, is a true reality, when you start looking at 20K plus, and then the on goings, storage and ancillary equipment, it may well be cheaper and more comfortable to simply stay in accommodation. If you actually do the maths on this with some of the larger campers it is borderline.

This is absolutely correct Jas and these points have been key factors for not having done anything earlier. On the other hand, having a camper trailer of sorts allows a little more freedom and spur of the moment trips. The kids are at a prime age for camping adventures and such. Time flies and before we know it, they'll be teenagers and have their own idea of who they want to spend their free time with and how. While I can spend these special years with them I will. I'd hate to buy a camper in 25 years time and then wish I had of done it while the kids were young.

It's definitely not the most cost effective option, but it is a family effective option that allows me to keep shooting without feeling guilty being away from the kids...................... and wife :D

And as the meme says, if I get them addicted to shooting, they'll never have enough money for drugs or alcohol =D>

GrahamW

#19 Postby GrahamW » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:55 pm

DenisA wrote:And as the meme says, if I get them addicted to shooting, they'll never have enough money for drugs or alcohol =D>

So true... your heart & mind is in the right place Denis.
I hope you find the right vehicle for your situation because the years you have now can never be replaced.... and it goes so quickly.

;-)
Last edited by GrahamW on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

DenisA

#20 Postby DenisA » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice. Through a forum member that's been through the same situation recently with kids, I'm buying a second hand Jayco Flamingo Outback. A club mate has owned it and so I know its been looked after and it fits the role well. Off road, sleeps 4 easily, quick to setup and pack up, awnings, 3 way fridge, cooking facilities, water, compact and plenty of extras. It's well priced too.

I'm really looking forward to PM's and camping trips with the family now.

Thanks Dave and Dennis.

Very happy. :D

SunnyCoast 5r

#21 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:33 pm

Well in 2013 we went to the caravan show in Brisbane and looked at everything from the cheapest camper to 23 foot vans. We initially thought about having the kids (2 boys) sleep outside under an awning and not having a shower or toilet. Spoke to many people.
Came home with a 21 foot off-road Kedron XC3 with queen bed, full size bunks, seperate shower and toilet, oven, washing machine etc etc
It is heavy 3.5 t but every time we stop somewhere we feel great (hot shower; happy kids; happy wife!).
We have been around Oz. Have just been all the way to Bamaga in it. There are not too many roads it can't handle.
Ranger uses 18-20L per 100 km but fuel costs are quickly forgotten when it is cold/raining/hot/windy etc and the family is safe and happy. My kids are currently watching a DVDs while it is raining heavily.
Buy once....life is unpredictable! Plus the kids grow too quick to upgrade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Trev-39

#22 Postby Old Trev-39 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Is the 3.5t. "empty" van weight or loaded ready for travel? Have you weighed your van empty? some van builders cheat on their empty weights. My brother weighed his Kedron and found it to be heavier than plate showed and when loaded for travel with full water tanks food clothing ect. found he was over 4t. To make himself legal he extended chassis and installed a lazy axle which was not cheap. He was then legal but not by much. Has sold the cruiser wagon and bought a Dodge Ram. Now has plenty to spare. Go onto some of the van forums and find out other peoples problems and remarks.
Cheers.
Trevor.

SunnyCoast 5r

#23 Postby SunnyCoast 5r » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:19 pm

I have the 'lightweight' XC3 2013 model and have checked my GVM on a certified weigh bridge...Kedron were upfront with some previous issues with tare weights but the plate on mine is correct by my own investigations. Fully loaded with 300 litres of water, food, clothes and all the other crap you end up taking we are on 3300kg. We try to minimise carting wash water when we know there is some available at the end point but always have filtered drinking water from home. Happy to endorse the Kedron brand based on our experience over 35000km. made in Brisbane; excellent after sales support and very genuine people to deal with.
Back to the original topic...my thoughts were to buy the best you can afford based on not only your current need but future possibilities as well (PMs in far flung reaches like Perth and Darwin can be fitted into extended family holidays with a bigger rig).
Might I just add that im sure the Jayco will be fine: I have 2 friends with young families who are very happy with theirs. The Ranger will tow it like a dream.

Return to “General Forum”