Scorer

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

scott/r

Scorer

#1 Postby scott/r » Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 pm

I've only been shooting full bore for a few years, but for the whole time I've been under the impression that the scorer had to be no further up the mound than the shooter's feet. Maybe it was the way it was explained to me in the first place, but I just thought it was part of the rules. So as the scorer wasn't able to coach the shooter was one of the reasons explained to me.
Now after passing this information on to another new shooter and his young bloke on the weekend, one of the older guys approached me afterwards and asked what I was talking about. After getting the chance to have a look through the ssr this afternoon, it looks like I've been telling porkies.
Can anyone help me out with this one so that don't make myself look like a dill again and lead someone else a stray.
Last edited by scott/r on Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoneRider

Re: Scorer

#2 Postby LoneRider » Wed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm

scott/r

#3 Postby scott/r » Wed May 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks mate, that's what I've been looking through.

LoneRider

#4 Postby LoneRider » Wed May 11, 2016 6:17 pm

theres the 2013,2014 and 2016 rules and updates on that link.

scott/r

#5 Postby scott/r » Wed May 11, 2016 6:49 pm

It looks like I might have been nearly right after all.

The offical score will be recorded on the card, and the scorer will position themselves on the mound at the rear of the competitor.

Thanks Lonerider.

LoneRider

#6 Postby LoneRider » Wed May 11, 2016 7:18 pm

no problem mate,happy i could help. :D

AlanF

#7 Postby AlanF » Wed May 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Scott,

In practice, the scorer needs to be as close as needed to be able to communicate effectively with the shooter, while at the same time be able to hear the check scorer at the board. The scorer needs to be able to see or hear each shot fired by his shooter, and to call each shot so the shooter can hear it. A shooter can request a scorer to make their calls more audible, which means either moving closer or yelling louder. If a shooter can't hear the calls, he runs the risk of having to wear a scoring error, because the onus is on the shooter to challenge mistakes before firing the next shot.

FWIW when scoring I try to position myself about level with the shooters feet. This requires you to be alert to where the next door shooters want to position their feet. Like many things, commonsense and consideration of others are the main requirements. :)

Alan

budget

#8 Postby budget » Fri May 13, 2016 4:20 pm

hi scott,
everything that alan said is correct,some people just like to be difficult.
one thing i would suggest is that when you are lining up your chair to score, position yourself away from the direct line of the breach incase of an explosion.in other words make sure the shooter is between you and the breach.
its not nice to think about but many years ago i was next to a guy that wasn't so lucky.
paul

Return to “General Forum”