what do you want in a prize meeting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanF

Re: what do you want in a prize meeting

#16 Postby AlanF » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Shane,

I'm glad you said manual targets, because 20 shots + ETs = very hot (and short-lived) barrels.

Regarding late check scorers, that's easily fixed. We mandate in the SSRs the WA Queens method where you don't check score the following shooter but the next one, so you get a full shoot to put your gear away, sign your card, and you may even get time to explain to someone why you got the 5 :D .

Alan

Musgrave

#17 Postby Musgrave » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:25 pm

Hope they use that at the VIC queens

RDavies

#18 Postby RDavies » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 pm

ShaneG wrote:1000 yards - 2 days
15 shot matches mixed in with at least 1 x 20 shot to align us with international competition
Manual targets well marked
Squadded relays
Check scorers who return for duty by second sighter and not 7th or 8th business!
Now for the screams - 1,2,3 for badges / medals for aggs.
Every other competitive sport I have been involved with has only rewarded and recognition interest = First, Second and Third.
Shane

Now this would be good to have once in a while. I understand some old C graders or new shooters might not be too keen on it but I bet a lot of others will travel long distances to get to shoots like this.

Matt P

#19 Postby Matt P » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:21 pm

RDavies wrote:
ShaneG wrote:1000 yards - 2 days
15 shot matches mixed in with at least 1 x 20 shot to align us with international competition
Manual targets well marked
Squadded relays
Check scorers who return for duty by second sighter and not 7th or 8th business!
Now for the screams - 1,2,3 for badges / medals for aggs.
Every other competitive sport I have been involved with has only rewarded and recognition interest = First, Second and Third.
Shane

Now this would be good to have once in a while. I understand some old C graders or new shooters might not be too keen on it but I bet a lot of others will travel long distances to get to shoots like this.

The only thing I wouldn't support is the 20 shot match.
Other than that, looks good.
Matt P

jasmay

#20 Postby jasmay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:15 am

I'd be happy just to see FTR supported at more of them, 2 large shoots one coming up one past don't offer it and I'm left with the conundrum shoot open and hope I can hang in with the top players, or not attend and give a club support that wont support my chosen class....

Tim N

#21 Postby Tim N » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 am

The creche sounds good for those with little kiddies, Brad will no doubt volunteer for that job, while the rest of us shoot.
+1 for Shane's comments
20 shot matches could nearly be promoted by a forward thinking gunsmith :wink:
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Julian D

#22 Postby Julian D » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 am

You might have to come up North a bit Jas , just got back from Raglan's CQ Championship's which had FTR & only 3 of us turned up.
Clermont's OPM is having an FTR class this year & also the Marian/MDTRA OPM will be shooting FTR for the second year.

Mareeba's OPM this month also had FTR.

My concern is that these small local clubs are putting FTR into their program & we don't get the numbers to warrant it , Raglan had amazing prizes & gorgeous badges , but because their were only 3 of us shooting it , will they put it on again next year ? I hope so .....

jasmay

#23 Postby jasmay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 am

Julian D wrote:You might have to come up North a bit Jas , just got back from Raglan's CQ Championship's which had FTR & only 3 of us turned up.
Clermont's OPM is having an FTR class this year & also the Marian/MDTRA OPM will be shooting FTR for the second year.

Mareeba's OPM this month also had FTR.

My concern is that these small local clubs are putting FTR into their program & we don't get the numbers to warrant it , Raglan had amazing prizes & gorgeous badges , but because their were only 3 of us shooting it , will they put it on again next year ? I hope so .....

I am definitely considering Clermont, the 12 hour drive is a bit tricky with work however :?

I'll be off to Goondiwindi if I cant get enough time to head up for the NQRA Queens.

Quick

#24 Postby Quick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:31 am

To keep many happy, we still need to stay with the shorts at least a bit. I think a OPM that starts at 500yd/m and finishes at 700yd/m on first day and the 2nd day all longs would be good. A 15 shot for final range would also be good.

I think its important to cater for both the average shooter and the more elite ones. One thing some OPMs have done in WA is offer one day entry fees for comps to entice people who cant get away for two days but can for one. Many younger shooters like myself can fall into this boat at times.
Shaun aka 'Quick'
Yanchep, Western Australia

308 Win F/TR & F-S
7mm F-Open Shooter.

Return to “General Forum”