what do you want in a prize meeting

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Musgrave

what do you want in a prize meeting

#1 Postby Musgrave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 am

We were sitting around the club the other day and wondering. What do people want in a prize meeting
Do you shoot for prizes, money, badges .
We all enjoy the friendship and banter so that takes care of that reason
And what would it take to get shooters to a meet maybe Fclass only
Target and Fclass.
Maybe throw in a swap meet as well (have a local firearms dealer on hand)
Bill

Send-it

Re: what do you want in a prize meeting

#2 Postby Send-it » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am

well the 3 prize meetings i've been to so far have had everything i could ask for.

3 different distances shot on the one day.
having TR and F class together is good, as its more exposure for visitors to see etc. and brings more shooters to the mounds, and puts more money back into the clubs hosting.
lots of competitive yet very friendly fellow shooters that come from all over the state.
lots of help offered by everyone.
good offerings of food and catering.
safe operations of firearms.
nice selections of prizes.
Raffles are always good,.....they don't cost much to enter yet you might win something nice.
a swap meet would be good,..............time permitting.
i'm not really into the appliance prizes much, although they are very nice,...........i do like the things like badges etc that say what the event actually was though.

i went to one on Saturday, with the aim of testing a new load (on 3 distances), catching up with friends, having a feed, and refining my general shooting technique.

..........i came home with the No.1 badge plus other goodies in F-std. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:47 am

I think there are different reasons why people go to prize meetings. For some the social side is very important, catching up with friends, having a good laugh after shooting is finished etc. For others the competition is nearly everything. For me a cloth badge is important, and other prizes and trophies not so much. I gather from your question that you're involved in running a prize-meeting. Probably the main thing I've learnt in about 12 years of helping run OPMs at Rosedale is to do the basic things well, then any extras you provide are more appreciated. And don't try to make a financial killing - it'll be quite obvious to seasoned OPM attendees, and they won't come back. There are better ways of fund-raising nowadays.

johnk

#4 Postby johnk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm happy if the competitors behave...

Musgrave

#5 Postby Musgrave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:14 pm

Well done John
We are thinking of one Alan, one of our problems is weather and distance from Melbourne
as the range is on top of a cliff right on the water, we probably have some of the best views going

RDavies

#6 Postby RDavies » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:12 pm

johnk wrote:I'm happy if the competitors behave...

Oops, sorry.

RDavies

#7 Postby RDavies » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:39 pm

For the small, regional prize meetings, I like to catch up with shooters from different clubs and have enough time to sit back and gas bag with them and catch up on all the latest gossip, so not having to hectic a schedule will be handy.
I think regional prize meetings should be more geared toward the average shooter than to the elite shooter, so I think the majority want a reasonable chance to bring something back to show for their efforts, so I think more would prefer a badge or medal for a range win or 2nd/3rd place than a glass or mug with nothing written on it to say what it is for, or an expensive prize just for the agg winner.

Something I would personally really like to see is some variety. Instead of the usual 2+10 at 3,5,600yds that we always see, how about something different like a 15 shot match somewhere, at least one long range (even if it means evacuating the club house for 2 hours). How about at least one range being shot Bisley style, even if it is an optional event? How about an inter club team match in there if time permits?

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 pm

I love going to OPM's for the people, the competition and to support other clubs. Supporting rifle club prize meets is important for the shooting community and its future but commonly disregarded by so many shooters. I love travelling to meets and seeing familiar faces.
If decent travel is required by the bulk of patrons then I think the meet should be a 2 day affair. I believe there should be no less than 3 details shot per day.
Personally, I prefer medals and badges over prizes. Even if they're cheapies. It's nice to look back at cheap medals and reminisce about a range win or an agg. win.
One thing I use OPM's for is to improve my average. It's a personal accomplishment seeing your stats increase. After a prize meet, I like to be able to check my stats on the NRAA website and see if I've done them any justice. It goes with out saying that I find it extremely frustrating when the hosting club does not submit the results to NRAA for weeks or months post event.

New barrel raffles are always very exciting too. [-o<

plumbs7

#9 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Send-it wrote:well the 3 prize meetings i've been to so far have had everything i could ask for.

3 different distances shot on the one day.
having TR and F class together is good, as its more exposure for visitors to see etc. and brings more shooters to the mounds, and puts more money back into the clubs hosting.
lots of competitive yet very friendly fellow shooters that come from all over the state.
lots of help offered by everyone.
good offerings of food and catering.
safe operations of firearms.
nice selections of prizes.
Raffles are always good,.....they don't cost much to enter yet you might win something nice.
a swap meet would be good,..............time permitting.
i'm not really into the appliance prizes much, although they are very nice,...........i do like the things like badges etc that say what the event actually was though.

i went to one on Saturday, with the aim of testing a new load (on 3 distances), catching up with friends, having a feed, and refining my general shooting technique.

..........i came home with the No.1 badge plus other goodies in F-std. :D

Good Work send it ! Congrats . No doubt a lot of work gone into those cloth badges !
Different ranges with lots of wind! Bisley style at the last range would be great ! 15 shot matches are good too! Yes range medals are good . Cloth badges are important too!

Tod7.62

#10 Postby Tod7.62 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:37 am

I've only been to 4 but will defiantly going to as many as time and work permits. I love cloth badges too shows where you have been ( if you shoot well enough to win one) .

One thing I have noticed,now this is not a criticism just an observation that target rifle shooters seem to have more badges.

Maybe they onto something?

But from a relatively new shooters perspective it was great to have a good old chat with the winner of last years QRA Queens. Not something that happens in all shooting sports I can tell you.

The ones I've been to have been great events well run and very friendly.

To all clubs keep up the good work =D>

Cheers Tod

bsouthernau

#11 Postby bsouthernau » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:59 am

Tod7.62 wrote:
One thing I have noticed,now this is not a criticism just an observation that target rifle shooters seem to have more badges.

It's a historical thing - TR had more entries. That's not always the case now and organisers need to bear this in mind. At Rosedale we give out the badges as a proportion of the entry regardless of discipline. I think it's the top third get a badge - Alan will set me straight on that.

Barry

johnk

#12 Postby johnk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:36 am

It's a fast changing dynamic & promoters are struggling to keep up.

I think you'll find that badges as a proportion of entries will be the norm soon & promoters who miscue will bin the excess and/or retrosupply undersupplies.

Julian D

#13 Postby Julian D » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:52 pm

I would prefer badges & medals.
Years ago I shot trap and although they had some exceptional prizes I would always prefer the medals & sashes , still have the sashes hanging in the bar , and I only have to look at them & I remember when & where & that feeling of accomplishment.
The prizes I won are since long gone or given away , but the sashes & medals I will keep forever.

2 days are the perfect length , but they need to be finished at a reasonable time on the Sunday so the people travelling have time to get home for work the next day.

Prawn raffles are good too !

Brad Y

#14 Postby Brad Y » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:46 pm

A creche would be handy... then it wouldnt be as troublesome for me to leave the ankle biters at home to terrorize wifey when I wanted to go for a shoot.

ShaneG

#15 Postby ShaneG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:36 pm

1000 yards - 2 days
15 shot matches mixed in with at least 1 x 20 shot to align us with international competition
Manual targets well marked
Squadded relays
Check scorers who return for duty by second sighter and not 7th or 8th business!
Now for the screams - 1,2,3 for badges / medals for aggs.
Every other competitive sport I have been involved with has only rewarded and recognition interest = First, Second and Third.
Shane

Return to “General Forum”