Hi from a Newbie

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

PhilD

Hi from a Newbie

#1 Postby PhilD » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Just wanted to say Hi =;

Been stalking around in the shadows for a little while here, but, thought it might be time to say Hi.

Have just started shooting this year, after a very long time since I was plinking rabbits in the countryside.....

Fluked my start in this game by landing in the North Sydney Rifle Club. Don't think I could of found a more useful and helpful group of folks. And it gets better when Mr Paroz makes my first ever fire stick a cracker.

Have managed to meet a few of you all at the QLD and NSW Queen's and have definitely had a great time at these events. Looking forward to meeting more of you as I get around to a few more of these event :D

Cheers,

Phil

Steve N

Re: Hi from a Newbie

#2 Postby Steve N » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Good on ya Phil! What do you shoot? Never got to meet you in Brisbane.
Steve

PhilD

#3 Postby PhilD » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:40 pm

G'day Steve,

I'm thinking I've jumped straight into the deep end and getting a steep learning curve in F-Open.

I've got a nice 6mm Dasher (thanks again to Matt).

Really enjoying the technical side of things.

Just about to start a project to try and make a Prometheus styled powder dispenser... not sure how I'll go, but, like most things I've found so far in this game, it will be a good challenge :P

Cheers,

Phil

shooter mcreid

#4 Postby shooter mcreid » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:29 am

Welcome Phil,
That's an interesting project, let us know how it goes.

Amac

#5 Postby Amac » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:39 am

Hey Phil

Glad to see you have finally said g'day.

I watched how you went in NSW Queens. You had some really good hits. Glad to see that Dasher was working well for you.

I managed to score for Phil for the QRA Queens and can say that he is an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to shoot with.

Best of luck for the future and look forward to seeing again one of these days.

Cheers

Andrew

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:48 am

Phil,

Welcome to the forum. You would have to be the Phil De la Rue whom I met after the NSW Queens. You've certainly made a strong start into F-Open, with a mid-field placing in the big field at the Queensland Queens and now 5th in NSW. Having Matt do your gear is a big help of course. I believe he smithed all of the leaders in F-Open, plus most winners in other classes. Its a very enjoyable sport and you have got into it young, so many years of competition ahead of you. You'll probably get pretty much all the technical advice you need from Matt, but there are other "gurus" from around Australia with considerable knowledge and experience who contribute to this forum, so well worth looking through past threads.

Might see you at Canberra?

Alan

PhilD

#7 Postby PhilD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks for the kind words Andrew :)

The Dasher is certainly going well at the short to mid ranges, and we were very lucky with the weather at Malabar for the Queen's. I think 700m might just be the limit though, my 800m scores were a little disappointing. Gives me a good justification for ordering my new 7mm barrel :D

And yes Alan, that would be me. Very jealous of The Van. Glad to hear you got home without any kangaroo issues :) Definitely one of the great things about getting to the bigger events is the people you meet and just the knowledge you get to absorb. The forum has certainly been a great source as well, and hopefully I can add to it as I go.

Looking forward to Canberra, but, from some of the stories I've heard, maybe that might not be the best description of my feelings.....

Cheers,

Phil

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Canberra is usually a bit of a lottery i.e. the best shooters sometimes win, but not as often :D . The range has character of its own and doesn't allow anyone to get too cocky. A lot of people keep going back because they want to get revenge :evil: .

ShaneG

#9 Postby ShaneG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:08 pm

I have only been there once but from that experience I would say that it should be squadded!
Whoever was first down usually got a dream run then a half hour later a 55 would be a good score!

Return to “General Forum”