Cost of our sport

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

mattk83

Cost of our sport

#1 Postby mattk83 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am

Hi all

This is my first post to this form so please don’t be to harsh. Over the past 10 years I have been shooting a mix of TR and f-class. Over the last 5 years I have concentrated on f-class standard, I have shot and several queens and even more prize shoots. When looking back the one thing that stands out to me is the absorbent cost of attending these events and I am concerned that the sport is becoming price prohibitive epically in NSW. For example last year alone I have to pay fees to be a member of my club ( which does not include the $ 25 each week to attend the range ) , fees to the MDRA and if I want to attend prize shoots the I have to pay state association fees. Last year alone I shot at 25 club shoots , 6 prize shoots and 2 queens not including travel expenses , accommodation or ammunition It cost me $ 1845.

This week I was talking to a new member of our club who was telling me that they wanted to shoot at the NSW queens this year but just cant justify the cost. This shooter has showed real promise and I would suspect that in the next few years could be one of the top competitors if we can keep him in the sport. However with a young family having to join the state association along with excessive entry fee , accommodation and the 5 days he will need to take off work it just simply just wont happen. This is also the case for me , this year I have decided not to shoot prize shoots or the queens because there is just to much cost involved.

The point I am trying to make is that our great sport has dwindling numbers across all codes and with the current aging population of shooters on the mound the governing bodies need to look at way to reduce cost in order to attract new shooters and keep them in the sport.

Just my thoughts.

Barry Davies

Re: Cost of our sport

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:14 am

I sympathise with you mate, but it's on deaf ears. Those concerned just cannot grasp the fundamentals of why the membership is in decline.
Then I read somewhere this morning somebody wants $1-76 per projectile--way out of touch.
It's all about making money --not about the future of this sport.

Tim N

#3 Postby Tim N » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi Matt,
Target shooting is still cheaper than racing dirt bikes...
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 pm

True, but irrelevant

Cliff Austen

#5 Postby Cliff Austen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Yes, it can be expensive. But,as pointed out, not as expensive as many other sports.
I brought the issue of costs up at last NSWRA Council Meeting. I suggested that we should take a serious look at our cost structures for further discussion.
As President of Nowra Rifle Club I can tell you that we have people lined up to join our club. Our current membership stands at 405 financial and 60 unfinancial (most of whom will renew membership). So, what are we doing right?
Our local population is about 30,000 with some members coming from Wollongong and Sydney.
pres@nowrarifleclub.com.au
Cheers
Cliff

Matt P

#6 Postby Matt P » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Cliff Austen wrote:Yes, it can be expensive. But,as pointed out, not as expensive as many other sports.
I brought the issue of costs up at last NSWRA Council Meeting. I suggested that we should take a serious look at our cost structures for further discussion.
As President of Nowra Rifle Club I can tell you that we have people lined up to join our club. Our current membership stands at 405 financial and 60 unfinancial (most of whom will renew membership). So, what are we doing right?
Our local population is about 30,000 with some members coming from Wollongong and Sydney.
pres@nowrarifleclub.com.au
Cheers
Cliff

Hi Cliff
How many of those are full NSWRA members that can (legally) attend OPM's and Queens Prizes across the country ???
Matt P

Barry Davies

#7 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Cliff,
If we catered for all the disciplines that Nowra cater for ,our membership at South Bendigo would be in the hundreds as well.
For the purpose of this thread lets keep to F Class only, and keep it in perspective.

RAVEN

#8 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:19 pm

mattk83
great observations and like you and others can see the issues very clearly
what is lacking are solutions :)

RB :)

Roy cobb

#9 Postby Roy cobb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:41 pm

As A newbie to the sport of F Class and upgrading gear to shoot it, you have a Rifle , comp dies, new scales several other things it all adds up before you even pull the trigger as well for some one starting out.

RAVEN

#10 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm

As with every sport there is an initial cost
and I can assure you most of us started with what we had and upgraded and add as we progressed.
I started with a 7mm Rem Mag in a hunting stock 15 years later I have 3 F-Guns and more reloading gear than you can poke a stick at
The newbies are somewhat more fortunate as they have the experience of may original F-Class ppl to take advise from

Cheers
RB :)

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Tim N wrote:Hi Matt,
Target shooting is still cheaper than racing dirt bikes...

I certainly agree with that. F Class is still so much cheaper than so many other sports which rely on equipment.

The alternatives to make F class cheaper are to either, shoot less often, go for cheaper equipment or accept a lower standard of maintenance and facilities at the range. Not meaning to sound like a shooting snob but we get out of our sport what we put into it. At the clubman level, it does not have to cost much if you shoot F std once a fortnight, use Dyer projectiles, Winchester brass and a modified Omark target rifle, people have won competitions with this set up.
For those who want to compete at the top end in what some refer to as the Formula One of shooting sports, it is still not too cost prohibitive for the average family man. I am no accountant but I have not heard off many clubs or associations making exorbitant profits, and I have not seen too many gunsmiths driving Rolls Royces, so I am not too concerned about the allocation of my finances.

As for some of the big business importers, that is another matter.

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm reasonably satisfied with the costs associated with F-Class. In fact if it was dirt cheap and easier to do, you'd have a large number of members not highly dedicated to the sport. The way it is, most of our current membership are in the sport because they enjoy it enough to pay the costs. I also believe we should be putting more emphasis on targeting the middle and older age groups for membership. We are fooling ourselves if we think its the ideal sport for young people, and a lot of incentives to attract them do not succeed. If we recognise where our best membership prospects are, and put more effort into attracting them, we will grow faster as a sport.

mattk83

#13 Postby mattk83 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:44 pm

The point I am trying to make is that there come a time and a place for change and I feel that time is now. We need to draw a line in the sand so to speak and make the hard decisions that will keep our sport alive for the next 50 years. I think that we need to address the fee structure across the board if this means a considerable drop in fee then so be it last time I checked an association having 1500 members paying $ 50 a year generates more fees than an association having 200 members paying $ 165 a year. The more members would mean more people at opm and queens and this can only be beneficial to the sport. If the sport cant get new members or even keep the members it has their is a very dark future ahead of us.

Cliff with regards to you comments I seem to recall a club early this year getting a warning as they had several F open shooter shooting at OPMs with out having the appropriate membership , that club may have even been from the south coast of NSW. At my club this would not happen also seem to recall a number of shooters on the mound lately that had travelled considerable distance to shoot they did not seem to have the same level of confidence in your club that you have.

Tim L

#14 Postby Tim L » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:03 am

I can't say that I agree with the assertion that membership fees are high.
I pay $275 for my Club, State and National membership. That includes $80 to cover 10 weekend attendances. After 10 it's $8 a visit.

That's cheaper than the club membership at the local SSAA range and less than the annual fee for my sons soccer club membership.

What does concern me is the disparity in competition fees. Yes, I realise certain costs are set and can only be reduced by larger numbers turning up, which actually makes the NQRA Queens a little disappointing as that was shot on ET so no paid markers (and no number 3 badge for FTR :cry: ).

What's surprising is the club shoots are cheaper than the big comps :shock: Pretty sure they would have been 6-8/target where the biggies generally go 8-10.

This probably isn't the best way to do it, but I go to shoot bullets so:
On a per bullet basis (12 not 10)

OPMs
Clermont $1.04
Sarina/Mky $1.15
Townsville $1.25

NQRA Queens
Wilson $1.41
Queens $1.51

Nationals
Leadup $1.73
Champs $1.37