Cost of our sport

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

AlanBT

Re: Cost of our sport

#31 Postby AlanBT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:26 pm

I Agree with Alanf, there is almost no alternative to building a custom F-Open rifle which once you include rests, scopes etc can easily approach $8-$10,000 if you want to be competitive.

The good news is that there are several good off the shelf rifles suitable for a new shooter in F-Standard and F-TR. Savage do a good job on this as do Tikka.

Like any sport, quality equipment comes at a cost.

Ongoing and recurrent costs are on par with any other sport IMHO, eg Golf Clubs, Sailing Clubs and the like.

Alan

DenisA

#32 Postby DenisA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 pm

When ever I introduce someone to F-class that has no shooting experience, a few of things are immediately apparent to me.
1. They all really enjoy themselves and start asking questions.
2. I find myself embarrassed explaining and justifying the costs involved in F-class based on the look on all of their faces.
3. They mostly don't come back.

Personally I'm happy to spend the money on F-class because I love it. I justify the cost to myself in that as has previously been said it's cheaper than many other common hobbies such as motor bikes, boating, etc. I don't waste money on booze, smoking, drugs or the latest fashion, my peers would be devastated in my absence :P , etc.
I had to experience shooting in general first to love that before I could have loved F-class or ever commit to it financially or time wise.

Of all the come and try's that I've seen come through the club in the last 18 months and more, very few non shooters have joined our club, if any at all. Most if not all of our freshest members have previously shot at SSAA or come back to fullbore after much time off, have the basic understanding of all things shooting, have previously caught the bug and are looking for more.

The biggest cost issue in my opinion is that F-class IS definitely too expensive to attract new shooters. There is a simple solution in my mind, though there seems to be a lot of resistance for so many reasons from so many different groups of people.
I believe that if clubs ran their own "practical class" based on off the shelf modern military style, varmint and sporter bolt action's and advertised it through their local SSAA's we would see noticeable growth in club memberships and many would convert to F Open or standard as the accuracy bug bit harder.

If shooters could enjoy the longer ranges, competitively in their own class with their current equipment, we'd all be winning.

I so often hear foundation F-class shooters talking about how they started F-class and were competitive with their peers at the time using sporter rifles and such. That's what got the ball rolling for us all and now that's what's missing.

I feel that fullbore clubs trying to sell F-class memberships to the non shooting public is an absolute waste of time. That time could be used far more productively.

plumbs7

#33 Postby plumbs7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:59 pm

Dennis , yes we would miss your smiling face badly in your absence!

We have a lot of good natural shots here on the western downs , and a lot of interest in the black art of distance target shooting. I just can't seem to get them to spend the money and commit the time ! It's disappointing also as I tried to put in my local paper about my little success ( very little) at the recent Nats . To try and generate interest in club membership. Which has worked in the past . Even though they said congrats it's got ditched for other sports . So don't know what to do to get the sport out there to the general public . Julie is always keeping up our Facebook page , which is good!

The costs aren't bad compared to motor sport . It's just the start up costs !
Regards Graham.

Tim N

#34 Postby Tim N » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:59 pm

Dennis,
The practical class is a great idea, have any clubs trialed this?
SSAA has a hunter class which has strayed from the grass roots level...
So if it were non modified factory rifles which were used and I would suggest 5 shot matches for light barrels, that would enable a lot more shooters to have a go.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

TheOtherLeft

#35 Postby TheOtherLeft » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:50 pm

This is an interesting topic, because like I've eluded to in my old post, I am looking into getting into F-class but am somewhat hesitant due to the high costs.

I am not new to shooting as I already compete in Single Action, and know first hand how costs can escalate. What has been suggested to me is buying a converted OMark because off-the-shelf rifles are inadequate for the task. I was previously looking at a 223 Tikka Varmint with a 1:8 barrel, but have read the throat isn't long enough to safely feed 80/90gn projectiles. Now I would rather a new reasonably priced off-the-shelf rifle over a second-hand rifle that is potentially older then me, but still be mildly competitive.

If a practical/hunter-class variation (and have its own competition group) could be started as a "feeder" into full-custom/competition then I'd be in...

Brad Y

#36 Postby Brad Y » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Check out Hardy actions out of NZ, they are making some nice looking actions for not a huge outlay. Also pierce actions are very good, I had one of their round actions and it was great. Good value options. Barrels you get what you pay for (generally). You can also choose your caliber to suit your budget too. 223's still prove themselves from time to time in FS and components to make 223 ammo are the cheapest around. A 6BR is also cheap and can give big guns a run for their money if you drive them right. I use one for my club shooting now 44c a projectile.

End of the day if you cant afford to do it then sadly you need to prioritize so your either able to do it or give it a miss. Had to sell my rifle last year to pay bills while I was caring for my dad and taking long stints away from work. I didnt make what I paid for them and in turn Im $5500 already into building a new one without my two barrels being fitted, bedding done and stock finished. Costs heap in the long run but you got to be in it to win it.

Barossa_222

#37 Postby Barossa_222 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:49 pm

I was talking with a few people about introducing a sub-class to try and get more people in the door at our club. Quite a few people come to have a look and when asked "how much shooting they you done?" or "what equipment do you have?" most offer the same reply, "I just got into shooting" and "I have a 223/308/270 hunting rifle".

My thoughts were to offer a competition to visitors or guest shooters that would tie in with what "we" do. You would use the TR scoring system as most factory rifles should be able to group in the 5 ring out to 500 yards with good hand loads or premium ammunition. Instead of 2 details of 2 sighters and 10 scoring shots you would have 3 details of 2 and 5 as to limit rifles over-heating. Stipulate factory rifles with unlimited rules on sights and trigger weight and shot of a Harris bi-pod or similar. Limit the range to 5-600 yards and see how it goes.

You would pull a lot more people in to the clubs to have a go and you also have the ability to have them interact with TR/F Class/FTR shooters and might get a few more to move over. Trying to peg newbies into one of our disciplines straight off the bat can sometimes work, but most are overwhelmed with the the costs of equipment and the time. Just my 2 cents worth.

Brad Y

#38 Postby Brad Y » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Barossa 222

That sounds like a great idea. You will often get alot of people wanting to find out how their hunting guns go at longer range- its why I started shooting at my club in the first place.

plumbs7

#39 Postby plumbs7 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Barossa_222 wrote:I was talking with a few people about introducing a sub-class to try and get more people in the door at our club. Quite a few people come to have a look and when asked "how much shooting they you done?" or "what equipment do you have?" most offer the same reply, "I just got into shooting" and "I have a 223/308/270 hunting rifle".

My thoughts were to offer a competition to visitors or guest shooters that would tie in with what "we" do. You would use the TR scoring system as most factory rifles should be able to group in the 5 ring out to 500 yards with good hand loads or premium ammunition. Instead of 2 details of 2 sighters and 10 scoring shots you would have 3 details of 2 and 5 as to limit rifles over-heating. Stipulate factory rifles with unlimited rules on sights and trigger weight and shot of a Harris bi-pod or similar. Limit the range to 5-600 yards and see how it goes.

You would pull a lot more people in to the clubs to have a go and you also have the ability to have them interact with TR/F Class/FTR shooters and might get a few more to move over. Trying to peg newbies into one of our disciplines straight off the bat can sometimes work, but most are overwhelmed with the the costs of equipment and the time. Just my 2 cents worth.

Totally agree , that's sounds like a great format !

RAVEN

#40 Postby RAVEN » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:18 am

Barossa_222
we are already offering a hunter class at CTV on Saturdays & also Pheonix RC do something with hunter class on Sundays
The big issue is the lack of promotion & marketing no one knows about what we have to offer or even where the rifle range is located.

RB

DenisA

#41 Postby DenisA » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:19 am

Richard, in the case of SE QLD it would be as simple as QRA clubs working with local SSAA clubs and inviting shooters over at reciprocal club rates or something to that effect.

All that is required is for QRA club management committee's to be proactive and communicate with SSAA club management committee's. I don't know why this hasn't been happening.

Brad Y

#42 Postby Brad Y » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 am

Denis- probably thats because it would be a common sense thing to do. All common sense is rapidly disappearing around here, sounds like queensland might me losing it too. Next club meeting we have Im going to pass on the suggestion of the hunter style F class shooting. It will be a big boost for numbers of shooters on the line I think. We also shoot field and service rifle disciplines and get a few members across from that, but again when they find the cost out of what its going to be in order to be competitive, lots of them are never seen again.

Return to “General Forum”