Shooters Vans

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Julian D

Shooters Vans

#1 Postby Julian D » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:56 pm

When the "van cave" is somewhere near to its completion, I'll post photos, and explain the concept 8) .

This is a subject dear to my heart & I need some inspiration . I have a van that I would like to set up for travelling/shooting , ( not a caravan just a normal van ) .

Have seen a couple of set ups , up here in QLD but curious as to what others have .

Has anyone got the ideal van , all set out to make both camping / storage easy & maybe even comfortable ?

Please share some pics , I need some ideas .

AlanF

Re: Shooters Vans

#2 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:02 pm

I'd prefer not to show detailed pics of mine in its current unfinished state, but will give you the concept which gave rise to it.

1. I wanted a reliable, economic, and reasonably fast way of getting to distant Queens shoots
2. Because of my preferred "mode of operation" at Queens shoots i.e. taking several barrels and reloading, I wanted something with decent weight carrying capacity.
3. I didn't want to be spending a lot time setting up and/or unpacking on arrival, or the reverse when departing.

Some common options and why I ruled them out (N.B they will all suit some people well, but this is for my own requirements) :

(1) By air : Easy to rule out for me on weight carrying alone
(2) By car/ute and staying in cabin/motel : Have done this in the past - can get expensive and suitable accommodation close to the range not always available.
(3) By car/ute and camping in a tent on the range : This has been my preferred method in recent years. Main disadvantage is time to make camp, then break camp, and also have a vehicle piled high with stuff all the way there and back.
(4) Caravan : Can get expensive but satisfies nearly all my requirements except for one big one - I have seen enough situations on the road to know that I would not like driving with one. I don't like holding up other traffic, nor do I like being stuck behind things.

I remember considering all these options and wondering if there might be a better way, and got to thinking about a van, not too big to be slow on the road, but big enough to camp in and importantly, have everything I need for eating, sleeping, reloading and shooting all stored in a logical way, so I could arrive at the range as late as the morning of the shoot, drive straight to the mound, take out the shooting gear from the rear of the vehicle, then go to a camping area that night and cook, reload, sleep in reasonable comfort without any stuffing around unpacking or reorganising.

The vehicle I chose is a VW Transporter long wheelbase with high roof option. I ordered the 4WD option only to be told later that it wasn't available with the high roof because it would exceed the licensed weight. I decided the ability to stand in it at full height was more important than 4WD, so its actually just a front wheel drive. However I've been using it a bit in wet paddocks with trailer loads of firewood, and absolutely no problem with traction - and besides, the only off-roading I'll be doing in it is at rifle ranges. It has 400 Nm of torque for overtaking and (reputedly!) will cruise at well in excess of 160kph (only on that unlimited stretch between Alice and Darwin of course :wink: ). It has a very large bull bar and a good LED light bar so I hope to be able to drive until I get tired rather than until the roos come out. It has enough cargo space that there is room for everything I need, with all shooting gear accessible from the rear, a fully equipped reloading bench, provision for cooking, dining and sleeping, running water, a decent fridge, large fume proof cupboard for fuel etc. It has a regulated auxiliary 12V battery and caravan type mains inlet.

As I said in another thread, it should be ready for the maiden voyage at the NSW Queens, and I'll post some pics of the inside later. Here's a pic of the vehicle model :

PS. Its been called quite a few things at the local range e.g. ambulance, handicapped taxi, Mr Whippy etc. (just thought I'd save you the trouble of repeating any of those :lol: ).

And it already has a small ding in the side, courtesy of a Bunnings timber rack (and my unfamilarity with long wheel-base vehicles around tight corners), so no need to point that out when you see it :D

jcinsa

#3 Postby jcinsa » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Can't wait to see it Alan !
Argue with a fool, and all the casual observer will see is two fools arguing.

Brad Y

#4 Postby Brad Y » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Are you going to paint it grey?

DannyS

#5 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 pm

My shooters van, slow but gets there. Two deep cycle batteries.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Brad Y wrote:Are you going to paint it grey?

I may patch up the ding in grey? When new it was white like the one in the picture, but for some reason it seems to have changed to a sort of off-white lately :? .

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:16 pm

Alan, no mains power required in my set up, and with a very stiff load of 2208 behind a cci 450 magnum primer, in Palma brass, without blowing primer pockets, on a very steep down hill run, I can get to 100 mph, sorry kph :D :D

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:20 pm

DannyS wrote:Alan, no mains power required in my set up, and with a very stiff load of 2208 behind a cci 450 magnum primer, in Palma brass, without blowing primer pockets, on a very steep down hill run, I can get to 100 mph, sorry kph :D :D

Looks like I have the power and you have the traction - we could do a deal - I tow you up the hills on the highway, and you pull me out when I get bogged on the range :D .

DannyS

#9 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Alan, your favourite colour
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanF

#10 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:34 pm

You had to ruin my day didn't you - now I prefer yours to mine :evil:

DannyS

#11 Postby DannyS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 pm

Sorry Alan, could't resist, just have to fit the diesel heater and the solar panel on the pop top. Oh, and the drop down lcd tv. :) sorry no pics re where I hide things.

Cheers
Danny :mrgreen:

Tim N

#12 Postby Tim N » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:29 am

Alan,
If you are reloading in the van would it be worth having 4 screw jacks to place under the chassis to stop the wobble?
Just don't forget they are there.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Tim N wrote:Alan,
If you are reloading in the van would it be worth having 4 screw jacks to place under the chassis to stop the wobble?
Just don't forget they are there.

You spoiled my fun Tim. It would have been fun to pay one of my kids to get under his van and give it a slow rock side to side while he is doing his reloading. :D

Return to “General Forum”