Membership ?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

jacksaligari

Membership ?

#1 Postby jacksaligari » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Quick question got told the other day you cannot be a full member at 2 clubs why is this so ?

Barry Davies

Re: Membership ?

#2 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

I know of no ruling that says you cannot be a member of Two or more clubs ( full or otherwise )
I would say that you cannot REPRESENT more that one club in competition. In other words you can only be registered with one club but can be a member of as many as suits your liking.
The old days of having to be a member of the club nearest you place of abode went south with the Rifle Club regulations around 1997.

Norm

#3 Postby Norm » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Interesting,

Two years ago, I was part of a small group that approached a second club to become members and was told "No Way".
Never could understand why.

saum2

#4 Postby saum2 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:38 pm

If Bob Pederson can be a member of multiple clubs & Associations, he told me there isn't any issues with this if you have the cash.

mike H

#5 Postby mike H » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:52 pm

Norm wrote:Interesting,

Two years ago, I was part of a small group that approached a second club to become members and was told "No Way".
Never could understand why.

Norm,
It's not hard to work that out,they didn't want you,for some reason or other.
Mike.

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:06 pm

I think there are team and other issues that could become complicated by having full membership of multiple clubs. For example I wouldn't want a member of my club to be regularly shooting against us in DRA events. Also, in Vic we have a Champion of Champions event which begins with club Champions, who compete for the DRA Championship, and DRA Champions compete for the State Champion of Champions. Members of multiple clubs would have several avenues to progress in this, and in doing so could deprive others from competing. I don't see a problem with having annual range fees paid to several ranges, but there should be only one club that you compete for, and that is the one that should be in the NRAA database.

ecomeat

#7 Postby ecomeat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Here in Qld, its not possible to be a member of two Clubs.
I am a member of Beaudesert RC, which is a country club, but only an hour or so from Brisbane Airport and 45 mins approx from Belmont. I have been made very welcome at Brisbane Rifle Club every time i have been to Belmont, with a number of F Open shooters calling it home (McGowan, Lewis, Crombie, Bell, Hausler, Schneider etc) and i tried to join as an "Associate Member", simply to support them, and to acknowledge my appreciation of their great hospitality.
However, when they asked QRA how i could join, they were told that it's just not possible.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

mike H

#8 Postby mike H » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 pm

ecomeat wrote:Here in Qld, its not possible to be a member of two Clubs.
I am a member of Beaudesert RC, which is a country club, but only an hour or so from Brisbane Airport and 45 mins approx from Belmont. I have been made very welcome at Brisbane Rifle Club every time i have been to Belmont, with a number of F Open shooters calling it home (McGowan, Lewis, Crombie, Bell, Hausler, Schneider etc) and i tried to join as an "Associate Member", simply to support them, and to acknowledge my appreciation of their great hospitality.
However, when they asked QRA how i could join, they were told that it's just not possible.
Tony

Well Tony,rightly or wrongly in NSW,people are members of more than one club,they have their main club which is affiliated with the State Association,and then are members of another club,usually to give support to that club in some way.In the event of prize meetings or teams events,they are members of the original club they joined.Some or all of this stuff is just pathetic bullshit.
Mike.

jacksaligari

#9 Postby jacksaligari » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:16 pm

So what's the go can you be a member off 2 clubs in Victoria?
Seems as if it's a little murky,know one is 100 percent sure ?

Barry Davies

#10 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:18 am

We have several members of other clubs who are social members of my club ( South Bendigo )
As long as they pay their social membership and range fees who cares.
Jack, you are welcome to join SBRC as a social member and shoot with us, but for the purpose of competition you are registered with one club only.

Norm

#11 Postby Norm » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:08 am

AlanF wrote:I think there are team and other issues that could become complicated by having full membership of multiple clubs. For example I wouldn't want a member of my club to be regularly shooting against us in DRA events. Also, in Vic we have a Champion of Champions event which begins with club Champions, who compete for the DRA Championship, and DRA Champions compete for the State Champion of Champions. Members of multiple clubs would have several avenues to progress in this, and in doing so could deprive others from competing. I don't see a problem with having annual range fees paid to several ranges, but there should be only one club that you compete for, and that is the one that should be in the NRAA database.

I agree with what you say Alan with regards to DRA and interclub championships etc.

Our range has very restricted shooting times and is restricted to Saturday only. This hinders a shooters ability to develop skill and equipment should they wish to advance and compete at a higher level.

Our group of six shooters, wanted to practice and do load development etc. mid week and this is not possible on our range. This is the reason we sought associate membership at a second club just to have shooting rights. We did not want full membership or to compete for the second club, but were happy to pay that if required or range fees or whatever.
The second club threw away about $1000 in possible annual income from our group.

Since then we have come up with a partial solution for short range practice shooting at least and have moved on.

AlanF

#12 Postby AlanF » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:27 am

Barry,

I agree - the social type of club membership is good for those who spend substantial time at different locations around the state or around Australia. Some of that has happened in Gippsland too. I'm not sure whether there is any written policy on it from past VRA Board meetings. They don't seem to be too worried about formal "permissions" for change of clubs lately.

Alan

Return to “General Forum”