Fresh blood

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Stods1983

Fresh blood

#1 Postby Stods1983 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Just wanted to say hi all, very new to shooting and have fallen in love with Fclass open. In the process of building my first rifle.

My question is how would one go about I guess first getting a coach, because I want to do competition and I guess end up in the state team as a first goal but national is my ultimate goal. And I just not sure if you get private coach or if you go through a club so i thought I would join and start asking. I'm in Adelaide so will be intending to go to lower light had my first time at 600mtrs last weekend and just love it.

If anyone has any hints or can guide me in the right direction that would be awesome. I'm a bit lost as to where to start. . . .

Thanks in advance Lee

Tim N

Re: Fresh blood

#2 Postby Tim N » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Lee
Welcome aboard
Ask lots of questions, get to know the open shooters(and others),plenty of reading to be had on this site,wait a while before building your first gun just to be sure it's what you want.
As for coaching most people will be happy to give advice.
Have fun.
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:09 am

Lee,

Welcome to the forum and to F-Class Open.

With regard teams and coaching you're in a very good place at Lower Light. A good number of the strong SA F-Open Team shoot there. You may not be fully familiar with how we use the term coach. Most commonly its someone who sits beside you and makes adjustments to your scope to counteract the effect of the wind on your bullets. He's not a coach as in football etc. So the best thing you can do as Tim suggests is just turn up at the range each weekend, decide which club to join (based on who helps you the most) and go from there. They may have a club rifle you can use till you get your own, and listen to the advice of the shooters about getting a suitable rifle built (or buying one). Don't try to get technical advice from gun shops unless they are recommended as expert in F-Class target shooting. So there are two key areas of learning with F-Open (1) How to choose and run your equipment (2) Marksmanship skills such as wind-reading. With the right advice the first area is quicker and easier than the second, which comes mainly with experience. With team shooting you'll just need an accurate rifle, and obey the coach's instructions.

Alan

Stods1983

#4 Postby Stods1983 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:15 am

TTBS28

#5 Postby TTBS28 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Hello Lee,

Jeff Roberts from the Phoenix Target Rifle Club at Lower Light here. Alan has pretty much said it all. Not sure where you are at with so far. If you have already had a shoot at one of our Clubs on the range but, if you are still looking for somebody to welcome you to the game we would be more than happy to look after you at our Club. If you are already on board with another Club that's great - as long as somebody is looking after you. If we can help can I suggest you send our Captain ( Matt Roberts ) a quick email at ofd@bigpond.com We have a Club rifle available for use together with on-range instruction in all facets of the game.

As I said, if you are already organised that's great - look forward to seeing you on the range.

Regards.......Jeff. Roberts.

Stods1983

#6 Postby Stods1983 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks Jeff

I am being looked after by the guys at CTV. But thanks anyway.

TTBS28

#7 Postby TTBS28 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello Lee,

That's good news. They're a great bunch of guys with a lot of experience and I am sure you will learn a lot from them. Look forward to seeing you at the range.

Regards.......Jeff

Stods1983

#8 Postby Stods1983 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks. :)

Return to “General Forum”