Canberra Newbie - Looking to Learn

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Peleus

Canberra Newbie - Looking to Learn

#1 Postby Peleus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:19 pm

Hey all,

First post here and I'm keen to get the opinions of some experienced shooters. I'll say up front I have no idea what I'm talking about - so if I use the wrong terminology or anything just let me know :)

Located in the ACT it seems that I'm lucky enough to have a pretty awesome range near by. I went out last Saturday and tried out F-Class shooting with the Canberra rifle club and loved it - all of the people there were also nice and helpful. I've also signed up with the SSAA for membership along with booking in for a firearms safety course so I can make an application for my license (A&B). There are some questions / opinions I'd love to have answered though - particularly for anyone who know's the range in the ACT.

- What's the relationship (if any) between the NRAA and the SSAA? It seems 'F-Class' is a NRAA thing? Is Benchrest the SSAA equivalent?
- Given I really enjoy shooting with a scope and at longer distances is any one organisation better or worse for this interest? At the moment I'm looking at probably joining both, I imagine it's viable?
- Practice wise I want to put as many rounds down range as I can, can you access the range at any time if you're a SSAA member? Does being part of the Canberra Rifle Club allow the same type of thing?
- It seems the Omark is one of the go-to rifles for a beginner in F-Class, does this also allow me to shoot with the SSAA?
- Within reason is there any particular rifle that's a little more modern which is good to look at for a beginner, even if slightly more expensive than the Omark?

Thanks for checking out the post and sorry for what must be a ton of basic questions. As you can tell (from a beginner at least) it's been hard to try and find out a lot of this information, especially with regards to 'who allows what' type of things.

As long as I get a chance to practice long range stuff (even if not in competition) on a regular basis I think I'll have a ball of fun - looking to see the best way forward for achieving that.

Advice appreciated!

ShaneD

Re: Canberra Newbie - Looking to Learn

#2 Postby ShaneD » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Peleus,

What type of F class shooting are you thinking of? I take it you shot F Standard last Saturday at 300 mtrs?

- What's the relationship (if any) between the NRAA and the SSAA? It seems 'F-Class' is a NRAA thing? Is Benchrest the SSAA equivalent? Both are different organisations
- Given I really enjoy shooting with a scope and at longer distances is any one organisation better or worse for this interest? SSAA is to 500m, NRAA is to 1000yards
At the moment I'm looking at probably joining both, I imagine it's viable? Yes,SSAA is open available on more days
- Practice wise I want to put as many rounds down range as I can, can you access the range at any time if you're a SSAA member? yes, Monday to Friday 9 till 4 and Sunday morning.
Does being part of the Canberra Rifle Club allow the same type of thing? Not really, team training is exception.
- It seems the Omark is one of the go-to rifles for a beginner in F-Class, does this also allow me to shoot with the SSAA? Yes, depends on what type of F class you want to shoot.
- Within reason is there any particular rifle that's a little more modern which is good to look at for a beginner, even if slightly more expensive than the Omark? Depends on how much you want to spend, could get better stock for it or spend more on your scope.

Shane

Peleus

#3 Postby Peleus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:09 am

What type of F class shooting are you thinking of? I take it you shot F Standard last Saturday at 300 mtrs?

Yeah mate, I had a crack at FStd last Saturday. Honestly I don't have a strong feeling towards any 'class' at the moment as I'm not educated enough as to what I really like and the big advantages / disadvantages of each. I enjoy having a scope so I guess that lean's towards FStd/FOpen but who knows, I might get to have a crack at FTR and love it!

Depends on how much you want to spend, could get better stock for it or spend more on your scope.

Fair enough. I don't have a set budget in mind at the moment, but it could vary depending on what is the pro's and con's of investing money and further to that which parts are important to invest in (scope, rifle, etc). Looking into what is important and where I can get best value.

Saying all that as a beginner I appreciate the most unreliable part of the rifle is the silly human controlling it - I imagine it's going to take a long time before the rifle is my limiting factor no matter what I purchase.

Cheers.

shooter mcreid

#4 Postby shooter mcreid » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:17 am

Hey mate,
Standard is a great place to cut your teeth. Barrels last a long time, components are readily available and relatively cheap, heaps of data and solid information for the 308. It is then very easy to move to ftr if interested.
Good luck with it all
Josh

Kianga1971

#5 Postby Kianga1971 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi,

I shoot at Canberra Rifle Club in F Open.
They are a great bunch of blokes and sure you will enjoy it.

Peter

RDavies

#6 Postby RDavies » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Certainly join SSAA and NRAA.
With SSAA, you can do load development on the SSAA range, as well as shoot 300M bat shoots, 500M Fly shoots and 1000yd BR at Canberra.
With NRAA, you will get to shoot long range every weekend.
Maybe a good place to start with a rifle is check on guns for sale in this forum. As has been mentioned, a 308 will be a good start, nothing to technical to start off with if you are not the technical type. Then again something like a 6BR or 6.5x47 is just as simple and economical to start with.

Peleus

#7 Postby Peleus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks shooter mcreid, Kianga1971 and RDavies for the advice and encouragement. Looking forward to meeting some of you out on the range.

I think I'll definitely join / shoot with both organisations if for no other reason than more practice and more awesome people to meet.

I'll definitely check out what rifles are for sale and probably lean towards picking up whatever is going as a good package. Currently I have heard good things about the Omark, Rem 700 and Tikka T3. Still lots of investigating to do!

bobeager

#8 Postby bobeager » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:04 pm

A couple of tips.

1) Joining SSAA as a "gold member" gives you $25000 insurance cover for your rifles. You cannot beat that.

2) Seek advice from Club Members before you buy a factory rifle from a gunshop. This is particularly with respect to Barrel Twist. We shoot heavy for calibre bullets, and you need the correct barrel twist to stabilise them.

3) If you buy a factory rifle, make sure that tapered scope rails are available, and also look for adjustable triggers. Also, many stocks on factory rifles are not suitable for prone shooting.

Savage make some good factory riles that are specially set up for F Class and are good value.

We often get newby's who turn up at our club with a u beaut factory gun that they have parted good money for and they shoot like s@#t.

If Canberra has a club rifle, use that first to get a feel for the sport. Feel free to come up the road to Goulburn on a Saturday afternoon and have a shot with our club rifles.

Peleus

#9 Postby Peleus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks for the advice and offer bobeager! I'd love to come up and have a shoot with you guys as well some time.

That's also the type of advice I love hearing about - obviously you can do a bit of research on the net, but talking to people who know what they are doing can never be beat.

MCLE

#10 Postby MCLE » Sun May 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Hi Peleus
It's a very Adictive sport and lots of fun.You have been given some good advice by some of the best competitive shooters going around.As far as buying off the shelf there aren't a lot of Rifle Makers that make a off the shelf rifle ready to compete Savage are one of the few. Most of us have seen New Shooters turn up at the range with there new Rifle picked up from the local gun shop only to be disappointed.
As has been said.. Barrel length / Barrel Twist / Appropriate to the Caliber / Ajustible Trigger / Tapered Scope Rail / All of there are important and getting them right will help make the experience more fun..
Thanks Michael H

Return to “General Forum”