Where to get new target frames?

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

DenisA

Where to get new target frames?

#1 Postby DenisA » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:31 pm

G'day all. At our club I notice that our cantilever target frames are getting a little long in the tooth. They may need to be replaced one day.

It's got me thinking, are they a product that a club orders and buys or do they need to be designed and made by the club?

I see on their Facebook page that Beaudesert has very flash pulley and cable style sliding target frames. Is there an advantage to those v's cantilever?

Looking forward to some replies or even web links to manufacturers.

Cheers.

Tim L

Re: Where to get new target frames?

#2 Postby Tim L » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:19 pm

I've used them in the military when running timed exposures.
They take up less space and you can run 2 targets at once. As you pull one down, the other goes up.

Not sure that would be a benefit to F-class or TR shooting, but I'd imagine they would be cheaper than some of the monolithic cantilever frames that are poking about.

RAVEN

#3 Postby RAVEN » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Tim I agree
We have cantilever at Lower light
There were issues initially with the design that they move sideways in strong winds and had to be strengthened
When I was at Raton they used a vertical frame roller system
having to do my marking duty I found them easy and fast to operate
This system takes up less real-estate as well and I consider this system superior to monolithic cantilevers.

If I could post pics :( I would put one up of the Raton system
RB

bartman007

#4 Postby bartman007 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:43 pm

While Cantilever style are easy to operate from a marker's perspective, one of the issues I noticed at a range was that they suffered from vertical movement when being hit with wind from the front or back.

It was obvious when you had your scope perfectly centered, then saw the center move up and down.

Two parts come into play:
1. locking mechanism free play
2. flex in the cantilever arms

I've been very happy with the 4 poster style of target frame, and with the changes made at the Rosedale Range, has made it simple and light weight when lifting the targets in and out of the frames and carrying back to the shed. A number of ranges have had chunky target frames that are a chore to carry to and from the shed.

Having removable target faces that are lightweight makes it easy to put away as well as operate the target.
###

RAVEN

#5 Postby RAVEN » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:22 pm

When we put targets away it was only the cardboard face that was removed
Bart I can assure you the physical operation of the Raton targets was easier than the cantilevers at LL
RB

DenisA

#6 Postby DenisA » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:54 pm

We use ET's at our club and the targets complete with framing, acoustic chamber and electronics are heavy either way. We've built a cart so that we only need to lift the target off the frame and flip it onto the cart on its side, then wheel it in to the shed.

I cant see that either target frame option would change this procedure.

A club member contacted me today and made the point that if we were to go to sliding targets, we'd have to dig a trench and lay a decent foundation under them where as the cantilever slabs are already there.
I guess the advantages would have to be significant to warrant the extra cost and trouble.

So far, I prefer the idea of the sliding target frames.

Brad Y

#7 Postby Brad Y » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Dennis

We got canvas covers made for our ET's. The risk of lifting or moving the buggers in any way is a risk of someone doing their back in. Targets are lowered and covered after use, and all wiring etc disconnected and stored inside the shed. Occasionally we have to take them down if the Army has a range booking. Like you we have a trolley to suit and just try to use as many hands as practical to help get them off the frames.

DenisA

#8 Postby DenisA » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Brad Y wrote:Dennis

We got canvas covers made for our ET's. The risk of lifting or moving the buggers in any way is a risk of someone doing their back in. Targets are lowered and covered after use, and all wiring etc disconnected and stored inside the shed. Occasionally we have to take them down if the Army has a range booking. Like you we have a trolley to suit and just try to use as many hands as practical to help get them off the frames.

We considered making covers, even shells to encapsulate the whole lot including the electronics. We chose this option to protect them from the weather and possible vandals. It does work well and is quick to set up and pack away.

ecomeat

#9 Postby ecomeat » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Denis,
I will get you some photos of our Beaudesert frames,if you like. They are very easy to use if the counterweights are right.
Our single Ozscore ET has been made to fit a frame that just slides in, and sits very securely into the 100mm x 50mm (i think !) RHS of the frame, so it just takes a grub "bolt" or a teck screw to hold it.
We shifted it from Target 3 to Target 6 recently to get it out of the way for Fixtures, and basically two men handled it easily with me just hobbling around and getting in the way.
We just use a cheap tarpaulin and a couple of octopus straps for protection from the elements, and apparently that is enough.
Club President Mike Samuels has spent a lot of time communicating (and drinking good scotch) with the man who makes them, and i am pretty sure that they both regard it as adequate.
Tony
Extreme accuracy and precision shooting at long range can be a very addictive pastime.

Tim L

#10 Postby Tim L » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:14 pm

I was on the 300m range at Belmont today. They have the pully style mechanism (with ETs in 1 and 2 with covers on them). I can grab the keys and get some pics if it's going to help??

DenisA

#11 Postby DenisA » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Tim L wrote:I was on the 300m range at Belmont today. They have the pully style mechanism (with ETs in 1 and 2 with covers on them). I can grab the keys and get some pics if it's going to help??

Thanks, but don't go to any extra trouble. I'm just enquiring at this stage. It will be good to have an understanding of target frame options before the event that they need replacing.

Mick_762

#12 Postby Mick_762 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Brad Y wrote:Dennis

Like Brads Club, the Darwin Rifle Club also built covers for the ET's. However they were made from light gauge tin/steel sheet.
When the Army or the Police or anyone else books the range, they simply don't have access to the ET's.

Mick
David Mickel
Darwin Rifle Club

Longranger

#13 Postby Longranger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:00 am

We tried heavy vinyl covers on our ET's and they were a PITA. Also, the targets are still subject to condensation and heat under covers. The control boxes on each target suffer as well. North Queensland isn't kind to plastics or electronics climate-wise. The covers were more dangerous to fit than removing the target.

Now we remove them to store in the butts bunker. A simple pair of removable handles to lift each side target at bottom of the air chamber made handling a lot easier.

Return to “General Forum”