Should the NRAA and State Associations merge with SSAA

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

KHGS

Re: Should the NRAA and State Associations merge with SSAA

#16 Postby KHGS » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:31 am

johnk wrote:Where it can happen, we coexist in Queensland.

John, I think coexistence is the way not merger. I am a long term member of the SSAA & I believe it to be a great organisation. I think we all (NRAA & State Association members) should create & strengthen relationships with the SSAA Australia wide, such relationships would strengthen both organisations. Like all organisations the SSAA have some idiot members, but then so do we!! We are all human after all & prone to making mistakes in judgement. Shooters in general seem to thrive on a "them & us" attitude even within our respective organisations :(
Keith H.

BATattack

#17 Postby BATattack » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:41 pm

The things I see we could learn from the SSAA is their business minded attitude and their self promotion. There would be a large number of benefits including funded teams to help the most talented shooters reach the top not just those fortunate enough to be able to afford it.

On the down side NRAA ranges are a very large piece of realestate. For instance it would be very tempting to push 30 or so nraa members aside and divide up a range to accommodate a shorter rifle range, shotgun and pistol ranges to create a shooting complex that may attract 100s of SSAA shooters.

OuttaAmmo

#18 Postby OuttaAmmo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:25 pm

On the Darwin shooting complex SSAA, NRAA and DPC(Darwin pistol club) all co-exist an there is soon to be a F&G range built too.
I'd say a merger would be a good thing but change is hard.

DannyS

#19 Postby DannyS » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:02 pm

I suppose it depends upon if a Rifle Club owns a range or leases it. If the RC own the range, then other users have to fit in. Two days in a weekend. Could be a good case of cross pollinfication.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Barry Davies

#20 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:32 am

Still 3 days left at Bendigo-- -Mon, Tue, and Wed all the rest are taken.

saum2

#21 Postby saum2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:41 am

Maybe the days are numbered for Bendigo, anyone have anymore information on the CASA ruling for the new runway at Bendigo airport? The past President of the VRA told me that the new runway would align with 600 yds, shooting would have to cease while an aircraft was on approach to land/takeoff and the VRA would have to post aircraft spotters at each side of the range to call cease fire. I don't know if this is proceeding but would be very limiting for shootiing at Wellsford.
Is it time to think of a new range?
Geoff

XCALIBRE

#22 Postby XCALIBRE » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:55 pm

I agree with Alan, and that is a big NO. Some dealings with them in Central Qld. leave a bad taste in the mouth. It is safer to keep well away. They would love to take over every range. We beat them at Raglan!
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

Cameron Mc

#23 Postby Cameron Mc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 am

XCALIBRE wrote:I agree with Alan, and that is a big NO. Some dealings with them in Central Qld. leave a bad taste in the mouth. It is safer to keep well away. They would love to take over every range. We beat them at Raglan!

I did not want to go near this subject, but the above statement is correct.
If you think their is politics and infighting within the NRAA governed bodies, it is nothing compared to the SSaa. Money and ego's are a dangerous mix!

Cheers
Cam

Cameron Mc

#24 Postby Cameron Mc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 am

The very reason the Shooters Union was formed.

plumbs7

#25 Postby plumbs7 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:54 pm

Cameron Mc wrote:
XCALIBRE wrote:I agree with Alan, and that is a big NO. Some dealings with them in Central Qld. leave a bad taste in the mouth. It is safer to keep well away. They would love to take over every range. We beat them at Raglan!

I did not want to go near this subject, but the above statement is correct.
If you think their is politics and infighting within the NRAA governed bodies, it is nothing compared to the SSaa. Money and ego's are a dangerous mix!

Cheers
Cam

Cam , I'm with you on that one too!

aaronraad

#26 Postby aaronraad » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:15 pm

bobeager wrote:At least, we should have an arrangement/dialog/communications channel to ensure that no ranges are CLOSED. Better for the ranges to be taken up by SSAA than to see them close FOREVER.
I am a member of NSWRA and SSAA. At a local level, both organisations share the Goulburn Range. Both also share the range template. When FAR some time back required maintenance to the mantlet by the Rifle Club, the SSAA came to the party with manpower and dollars to help out. This was really appreciated.

I agree with Bob, mainly because I agree with Cam. What do they say, keep your friends close and your....

An annual NRAA/SSAA junket should be enough to get things started.

Merger just stinks of consolidation, efficiencies, asset sales, restructuring, job losses and suddenly everyone forgets what the organisation stands for and everything crumbles. Any merger stories out there with a happy ending?
Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projectiles

XCALIBRE

#27 Postby XCALIBRE » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Not with happenings here in CQ. Black Powder Boys left SSAA. Cawarrel as did the Shotgun Boys.
22 outspoken members were put into 00 cyber space. but the SSAA still wanted their money for subscriptions.! SSAA. ignored directions by Qld.Dept. of Fair Trading for constitution breeches.
So answer to your question; NO. Go it alone and be happy.!!
F TROOP, SHOOTING F CLASS.

Dave P

#28 Postby Dave P » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:44 am

I see a different option here at least as a start point to test the waters.
Many SSAA clubs do not have ranges with any length to them ie often a maximum of 100 metres. For example Silverdale in Sydney was limited to 200m last I was their. Little River in Victoria goes to 500m but is absolutely over loaded on weekends.
SSAA does run competition shooting why not host some of those comp's on NRAA ranges.
You can schedule it to suit your calender, charge a small fee and run a canteen to raise funds. NRAA still maintain control but allow SSAA use. SSAA insurance covers there shooters no problem.
This increases range use, provides some income and allows for a some contact/discussion about about comp shooting between likeminded people from both associations with a result of possibly having some SSAA members(already shooting comp) to try NRAA matches next week for example.
The 1000yd BR matches hosted NRAA at ACT, Narromine etc have resulted in a really great atmosphere between SSAA & NRAA guys in my experience, with plenty of likeminded shooters sharing info and experiences.

Norm

#29 Postby Norm » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Dave P wrote:I see a different option here at least as a start point to test the waters.
Many SSAA clubs do not have ranges with any length to them ie often a maximum of 100 metres. For example Silverdale in Sydney was limited to 200m last I was their. Little River in Victoria goes to 500m but is absolutely over loaded on weekends.
SSAA does run competition shooting why not host some of those comp's on NRAA ranges.
You can schedule it to suit your calender, charge a small fee and run a canteen to raise funds. NRAA still maintain control but allow SSAA use. SSAA insurance covers there shooters no problem.
This increases range use, provides some income and allows for a some contact/discussion about about comp shooting between likeminded people from both associations with a result of possibly having some SSAA members(already shooting comp) to try NRAA matches next week for example.
The 1000yd BR matches hosted NRAA at ACT, Narromine etc have resulted in a really great atmosphere between SSAA & NRAA guys in my experience, with plenty of likeminded shooters sharing info and experiences.

Good point.
I can't see why 1000 yard BR matches could not be held at NRAA ranges that have the required length.
Just need a few portable benches.

RDavies

#30 Postby RDavies » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Norm wrote:
Dave P wrote:I see a different option here at least as a start point to test the waters.

Good point.
I can't see why 1000 yard BR matches could not be held at NRAA ranges that have the required length.
Just need a few portable benches.

This is exactly the sort of win/win situation I hope would happen. The NRAA ranges have the locations, make the most of it by renting their range out for fly shoots and 1000yd BR shoots. Something I found at the fly 1000yd BR shoots is that a lot of the SSAA shooters don't have a clue about the sort of competitions available on NRAA ranges. When I go to a Fly Shoot and see up to 60 F Open style rifles on benches and maybe only 10% of them know anything about F class, I think there are wasted opportunities.

Return to “General Forum”