Travelling in WA with a firearm

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RonM

Travelling in WA with a firearm

#1 Postby RonM » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi, All,
I have a shooting mate who will be travelling through WA leaving Qld this March. He is planning on taking his U/O shotgun and wants to know what the requirements are for storing/carrying the shotgun and ammunition in his vehicle. I can't find anything specific re vehicle storage in the WA Pol site - just thought someone who has been there done that might be able to give some guidance. Thanks in advance,
Ron

Brad Y

Re: Travelling in WA with a firearm

#2 Postby Brad Y » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:11 pm

Im not up to the rules but if he has no lawful use for it in WA I would recommend he not take it, or if he needs it elsewhere then arrange safe storage for it while in WA at a gunshop. They way things are here you dont need to be caught with anything that isnt locked away securely.

mike H

#3 Postby mike H » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:04 pm

RonM wrote:Hi, All,
I have a shooting mate who will be travelling through WA leaving Qld this March. He is planning on taking his U/O shotgun and wants to know what the requirements are for storing/carrying the shotgun and ammunition in his vehicle. I can't find anything specific re vehicle storage in the WA Pol site - just thought someone who has been there done that might be able to give some guidance. Thanks in advance,
Ron

The important thing is to have permission in writing from the Police Department,to carry and use the firearm,whilst in WA.

jasmay

#4 Postby jasmay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:53 am

Brad Y wrote:Im not up to the rules but if he has no lawful use for it in WA I would recommend he not take it, or if he needs it elsewhere then arrange safe storage for it while in WA at a gunshop. They way things are here you dont need to be caught with anything that isnt locked away securely.

I travel to WA regularly, sometimes with a letter of permission from property owner sometimes without I have travelled through WA with it.

On the visitors permit application, found on the WAPOL website, just put in Travel Through and use where permitted. I have never been rejected, and if your genuinely doing a round trip it shouldn't be an issue, if it is speak to them, they are quite reasonable. Nick Holberton was the officer in charge, I think that may have changed recently.

RonM

#5 Postby RonM » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks to all for your advice. I'll let him know - I think he may be wanting to shoot some sporting clays in his travels around Oz at a few of the clubs.
Cheers,
Ron

Return to “General Forum”