F Class no longer a "Queens "

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Barry Davies

F Class no longer a "Queens "

#1 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Following an NRAA Decision, Vic members have been advised that the term " Queens " no longer will apply to F Class, and the word will be removed from F Class badges --to be replaced by " Championship "
Before everybody screams " discrimination " have a think about it.

We now have our own" championships" -- both state and national.
We are finally an entity in our own right instead of poor cousins to TR.
Finally, when I tell the unknowing that we are going to or have been competing at a State or National" Championships", they know what I am talking about -- rather than look blank at the mention of " Queens "

I think it is a step up for F Class and now commands as much prestige as TR -- maybe more.

Bindi2

Re: F Class no longer a "Queens "

#2 Postby Bindi2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:50 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Following an NRAA Decision, Vic members have been advised that the term " Queens " no longer will apply to F Class, and the word will be removed from F Class badges --to be replaced by " Championship "
Before everybody screams " discrimination " have a think about it.

We now have our own" championships" -- both state and national.
We are finally an entity in our own right instead of poor cousins to TR.
Finally, when I tell the unknowing that we are going to or have been competing at a State or National" Championships", they know what I am talking about -- rather than look blank at the mention of " Queens "

I think it is a step up for F Class and now commands as much prestige as TR -- maybe more.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Barry,

Strictly speaking they probably shouldn't be called Championships either. Normally you have to qualify to enter a championship, as we do in the Vic Champion of Champions. I've occasionally seen people shoot Queens events for their first ever competition. It will probably be more correct to call them state prize meetings - not much prestige in that.

I've heard a little about how this came about, and am sceptical about the motives behind it. Who actually complained initially I wonder, or who stirred it up to prompt a complaint? What will really happen if we don't change? As far as I'm concerned F-Class has been invited to shoot in Queens events by both the NRAA and its member associations since 1998 and that's what many of the badges say. Are they intending to call in all the old badges to change them?

I think this is potentially a very divisive decision, and unless there are compelling reasons for it, then its a bad decision. Currently TR and F-Class need each other and this will make the future of the relationship very awkward at best. I can see the next few Queens presentation ceremonies being quite farcical.

FWIW, ozfclass.com will continue to call both past and future badges won at Queens events Queens Badges. And I hope we continue to value the good relationship between F-Class and TR, despite the actions of the current NRAA Board, which appears not to.

Alan

Barry Davies

#4 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:26 pm

G'day Alan,

Yes, I agree it's probably divisive but what the hell. I think it's an opportunity for FC to stand alone and promote itself for what it is -- a discipline worthy of equality, and demanding the recognition it deserves, both locally and internationally.
If we stand around and wait for handouts we all know that's not going to happen.
Being tied to tradition only serves to stifle true recognition. I don't have a problem with TR and the tradition that goes with it, but putting emphasis on tradition surely stifles progress.

Brad Y

#5 Postby Brad Y » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:29 pm

Does this mean that shooters can expect national and state titles to be shot without the TR fraternity and vice versa at the "Queens"? Or is that still going to be combined events?

Barry Davies

#6 Postby Barry Davies » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Brad,

Dare I say that a "Queens " is not viable without FC

Bindi2

#7 Postby Bindi2 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:57 pm

There are shooting events called State Championships in WA that anyone can participate in along with the club teams. I have also been to a National Championship without having to qualify. The State teams were the main draw card/event.
The crown has been missing for at least one year from the WA FC badges. Co sharing the same range/time with different named events is no biggie. My feeling is that the message is organize yourselves you are big enough to do it. The message at the WA Queens was the title was bequeathed to TR no one else.

AlanF

#8 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:03 pm

I hope that its nothing more than something that was forced on the NRAA, even if it was initiated by others with questionable motives. I also think the NRAA needs to announce it widely along with an appeal for unity. We should not be blaming TR shooters for this. Its not as if they all got together and voted to take back F-Class Queens badges. I hope nothing changes actually. Just different wording on badges, and I for one will continue to call them Queens badges!

bobped

#9 Postby bobped » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Normally I don't comment on these pages, but an explanation may be in order.
The right to use the name "Queens Prize" was granted to each state through Royal Patronage which had to be applied for by each state through the NRA of Great Britain. The right to use the name "Queens Prize" was granted many years ago for TARGET RIFLE Competitions held by each State. Note - it was granted for TARGET RIFLE only.
What the NRAA is worried about is that if we start calling every discipline a "Queens Prize" the NRA of Great Britain will get very miffed and withdraw the right to call anything a Queens Prize. Therefore we have asked State Associations not to call their F Class winners "Queens Winners"
If you don't think that might happen then you don't know the Poms. They protect their rights and privileges very jealously and would be quite capable of withdrawing the right completely. That's what we are worried about.
The NRAA is working to try and give F Class more recognition.
One way we are doing is as follows.
We have asked the Governor General to become the Patron of the Association. Throughout our history the Governor General has always been the Patron. The last one before Cosgrove refused.
Cosgrove has been asked and firstly had a few questions to ask us. He was a little suspicious that we may be a "political" organisation but we have re-assured him on this and expect him to accept in a couple of months.
We'll give that time to settle down and then approach him asking for permission to call F Class competitions held alongside Queens Competitions the "Governor General's Competition" and the badges Governor Generals Badges. That will apply to all State Queens competitions.
I'm not holding my breath but those are the plans. In the meantime the NRAA has included the MACE CUP at the end of the NRAA Queens. The Mace Cup is the equivalent of the Kaltenberg Cup.
http://www.nraa.com.au/mace-cup-f-class ... eens-2015/

Regards
BP
Last edited by bobped on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim N

#10 Postby Tim N » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi All,
Personally I would prefer to see all our disciplines United.
Maybe an application could have been made (or still be made) to have F class officially included in the queens prize?
Bob, if you can provide some more history inc dates would be of interest to this relative newcomer to the sport
We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. Archilochos 680-645 BC

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:52 pm

bobped wrote:...What the NRAA is worried about is that if we start calling every discipline a "Queens Prize" the NRA of Great Britain will get very miffed and withdraw the right to call anything a Queens Prize. Therefore we have asked State Associations not to call their F Class winners "Queens Winners" If you don't think that might happen then you don't know the Poms. They protect their rights and privileges very jealously and would be quite capable of withdrawing the right completely. That's what we are worried about...

Bob,

Thanks for responding.

Obviously the NRAA knows exactly how this has come about, but wouldn't it be better to wait until the NRA of GB makes an official request to the NRAA for the words "Queens Prize" not to be used for F-Class before putting out this potentially very divisive request?

Alan

Grant G

#12 Postby Grant G » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:53 pm

I too don't often comment on such decisions , but wonder as , Alan to the actual motives behind the decision. In the past I have felt we should remain with the TR community but now wonder if this is the opportunity for F Class to have our own separately run State Championships where we are not putting up with the TR community looking down on us or subsidising their prize pool.
I & I feel the vast majority of F Class shooters don't shoot for prize money, but the allocation of prizes is disproportionate relative to class entries .
It does seem the more we go along & tolerate , the more they want to influence the F Class discipline.

Grant

RDavies

#13 Postby RDavies » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm happy enough with the slight name change. They have had their traditions for the last 100+ years and we will have ours. I will still call the events Queens shoots, but as others have mentioned, a State or National Championship on a badge is not a bad thing.
I like the idea of the Mace Cup at the end of the Nats, Bisley style at a big meet, bring it on.

AlanF

#14 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 pm

I found this on the NRA of GB website : http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/results/imperial/2014/381.pdf.

I wonder what was enscribed on their medals?????

You'd expect the Poms to get their own house in order before looking at us. This is starting to look like a furphy I fear...

AlanF

#15 Postby AlanF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:27 pm

BTW we shouldn't be too critical of Bob Ped on this. In a way he stands to lose more than any other F-Std shooter, having clocked up 12 Queens wins :-# :shock: , sorry, Governor General wins. Whew!

Return to “General Forum”