Remington trigger replacement on all model 700s

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Aubrey

Remington trigger replacement on all model 700s

#1 Postby Aubrey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:07 am

Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Norm

Re: Remington trigger replacement on all model 700s

#2 Postby Norm » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Among the deaths was nine-year-old Gus Barber of Montana, killed during a family hunting trip in 2000 when his mother switched off the safety on her Remington 700 rifle and the gun went off.

The above is a quote from the article.
So the idiot took the safety off on a loaded rifle while it was pointing at someone. Them blames Remington for the "accident". :roll:

Brad Y

#3 Postby Brad Y » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Got rid of the rem trigger ages ago. Nobody needs a recall to know it was a POS. Put a basix 2-6oz on it today and its unreal.

Malcolm Hill

#4 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Well put Norm. Looks like all the other incidents were also results of stupidity of loaded firearms pointing at people as well. I can't see how courts can rule in favour of negligent and incompetent users when it is totally their fault. A new trigger wont fix the problem, maybe Remington should exchange their bolt with one not having a firing pin.
Regards Malcolm.

johnk

#5 Postby johnk » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the fault was known, that the designer worked out an inexpensive correction & Remington didn't act on it for all these years. While I agree with the suggestion that their may have been some major contribution by those involved in fatalities described, the fact remains that the gun was known to go bang quite often when the device described by Remington as a safety catch was released.

As it happens, I had a hunting partner who had a 700, & he didn't use the safety on his because it became apparent early in the piece that its function was that of an alternate trigger. Back in the seventies, we didn't often run one up the spout until we were about to shoot anyway & pre Nader & other liability advocates, he just grinned & wore that issue with his 700.

Malcolm Hill

#6 Postby Malcolm Hill » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:23 pm

John. From what I recall back when playing around with 700's the safety worked fine until the trigger was adjusted to be much lighter than it's factory setting. That aside a loaded firearm should never be pointed at anything you don't intend to shoot. I also have done plenty of hunting and like you a round was not chambered until ready to shoot. I have never used the safety on a rifle believing the only positive safety is an empty chamber. If a shot was not taken then the round was extracted and ejected and the bolt left open with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction and never toward a person.
Regards Malcolm.

Return to “General Forum”