NSWRA to relocate to Cecil Park

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Aubrey

NSWRA to relocate to Cecil Park

#1 Postby Aubrey » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 am

Aubrey Sonnenberg
Concord RC, Sydney
Accurise: Aim for Accuracy!

Tman

Re: NSWRA to relocate to Cecil Park

#2 Postby Tman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:15 am

Yes, I saw this as well, now the question is when and the process of how, with a figure of $15million. It will be interesting to see how this evolves.

Ben

NDOliver

#3 Postby NDOliver » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Aubrey,

One advantage with Cecil Park is that shooting is already established in the area, although it's no guarantee, of course, that the community consultation process associated with the necessary approvals will be any easier.

It would be interesting to see the assumptions that make up the $15M to establish adequacy, or not.

Assuming adequate funding, the program (part of any agreement) should ideally allow all works to be completed and the new facility signed off operationally before NSWRA and all shooters are required to vacate Malabar.

And from a management perspective, who does what ?

Questions not necessarily for answering now, just my immediate thoughts in response.

As they say, watch this space.. !

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Sounds very promising. Looks handy to the M7. What is the topography like?

Razer

#5 Postby Razer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 pm

It would appear that the newspaper was a bit astray/premature in it's reporting. :roll:
Nothing unusual seeing the quality of todays journalists is sadly lacking in actual facts.

https://bay177.mail.live.com/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=mgYn8TKYN-5BGPRLS1L2YrJg2&folderid=fllSV3yhXAt0CUfFLBY-cA6Q2&attindex=2&cp=-1&attdepth=2&n=57976650

AlanF

#6 Postby AlanF » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Razer wrote:It would appear that the newspaper was a bit astray/premature in it's reporting. :roll:
Nothing unusual seeing the quality of todays journalists is sadly lacking in actual facts.

https://bay177.mail.live.com/mail/ViewOfficePreview.aspx?messageid=mgYn8TKYN-5BGPRLS1L2YrJg2&folderid=fllSV3yhXAt0CUfFLBY-cA6Q2&attindex=2&cp=-1&attdepth=2&n=57976650

Razer,

Unless you want to give us all your password, you'll need to copy and paste the contents of that e-mail into your post please?

Alan :D

Razer

#7 Postby Razer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Oop's :oops: will do so tomorrow.

Razer

#8 Postby Razer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 am

Here it is;

MEMO

TO: NSWRA CLUB CAPTAINS
SUBJECT: FUTURE OF ANZAC RANGE
DATE: DECEMBER 8, 2014

CC:

Dear All

This is a quick note to advise on recent events in relation to the Anzac Rifle Range.
You may now be aware of a couple of newspaper stories on the weekend referring to the NSWRA signing a deal to move to the Sydney International Shooting Centre at Cecil Park. While this site and Wildcat Ridge at Heathcote are being discussed as likely venues, no agreement has been reached on a new site or even the closure of the current Anzac Range.
The background to this story is that a meeting was held in October with the NSWRA, the Finance Minister , the current Landlord for the Malabar Headland, Senator Mathias Cormann, and Senator David Leyonhjelm, Liberal Democrat and shooter, to put forward the Rifle Association’s requirements for a long term location and facility.
As a follow up to that, last Thursday Senator Leyonhjelm met with the Minister for Finance in order to formalize the October meeting and obtained a letter of intent from the Minister.
The letter dated 4th December outlined that during the process of securing a long term solution for use of the Malabar Headland, Senator Cormann is committed to ensuring the Commonwealth’s obligation to the New South Wales Rifle Association under the terms of the licence agreement to conduct shooting activities on the site are met. In addition, while there are no formal plans for the future of the Malabar Headland, any future use will need to ensure that the New South Wales Rifle Association is provided with suitable alternative premises at Commonwealth expense.
As a result of this it is expected that officers of the Department will commence detailed consultations on specific requirements with a view to commencing costing and design of the intended new facilities in the next few months. NSWRA will be part of this consultation process.
While this is certainly an exciting development for the sport, there is still a great deal of preliminary work to be undertaken before anything is settled. Could you please pass this onto your members so that everyone remains fully informed and to avoid the spread of unfounded rumours.
Should you have any queries please feel free to contact David McGuigan, Executive Officer of the Association.

John Baxter
Deputy Chairman
NSWRA Inc
Last edited by Razer on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanF

#9 Postby AlanF » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 am

I haven't bought a newspaper for years. This makes me feel better about it :D .

Anyway, it still sounds promising.

Thanks Razer.

macguru

#10 Postby macguru » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I just buy them (newspapers) to do the crossword. I suspect that its people like me that keep fairfax newspapers going ! I have already read all the news on their website by the time i get around to buying the actual paper...
id quod est

RDavies

#11 Postby RDavies » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:49 am

I think realistically, it would still be a few years at least until the move was made. I hope they start to get things happening in Malaba and get the mid week shoots up and going, they were popular.

bshrestha01

#12 Postby bshrestha01 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Personally, for me, it is much closer to home so I feel happy about it.

And I have been to the Cecil Park SISC and the first thing you notice is the facilities there looks much more set and permanent and more advanced.

But apart from the Olympic range, I have not been around enough to know the surroundings. And, when I look at the satellite maps, I can see plenty of empty spaces behind the SISC complex.

The question I would ask will be, is it enough to accommodate up to 800 metres? Will it go beyond 800 metres? How many targets will we be able to run at a single instance?

There are other questions but that will be when we have a proper answer of when we get some clear decisions and reports instead of just speculations.
Sportco Omark M44 6mmBR Maddco barrel Mueller 8-32x40
Savage 12 FTR with 7mm Bartlein and NightForce Benchrest 12-42x52
Mauser m96 Swede 6.5x55 with Tasco 3-9x40
Parker Hale m84 .308 with Weekes Stock and TruFlite Barrel
Howa 1500 .223 with Tasco 6-24x40

haemish762

#13 Postby haemish762 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 pm

That's all very well, but what happens when western Sydney runs out of land again and the 800m range is swallowed up for development like the original ANZAC range or some idiod buys the property behind and stops us shooting at all like has happened at Lyndhurst.

Open Up Holdworthy, or just develop Malabar as an Olympic class destination, imagine having a full ISSF rifle, pistol and Shotgun range as well as out to 800m. It would be an iconic place for shooters from around to visit!

Return to “General Forum”