Range Rent

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Bart

Range Rent

#1 Postby Bart » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Does anyone rent or lease their range out to third parties for firearms practice and/or training purposes?

For those who do or have had exposure to this situation can you advise of a fee or rate per hour or day charged for this.

DannyS

Re: Range Rent

#2 Postby DannyS » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Bart, I was about to ask the same question. The department of primary industries or whatever they are called from week to week, want to use our range for training purposes maybe twice a year. So I would also be interested in what other clubs charge.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Razer

#3 Postby Razer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Make sure they have their own insurance as NRAA/ state ranges are only covered for NRAA activities.
Also, you would need to supply Range Officers to be compliant with Range Regulations and to ensure that these Regulations were adhered to.

The police shoot at some ranges for their weapons training but would carry their own insurance as would the Army (who, I believe shoot at Canberra) but, I would like to see it in writing first, just in case something does go wrong.

Some organisations carry their own insurance, like SSAA or some hunting clubs, but again, I would like to sight documentation.

I would think that if you charged per head at the same charge as your club range fees, with the additional cost of supplying RO's, then you should have all expenses covered.

AlanF

#4 Postby AlanF » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:22 pm

At Rosedale we host training days for DEPI animal welfare and wild dog control groups. We supply an RO and assistant for about 4 to 6 hours and charge $200. We have charged $300 for a longer day. The animal welfare people use semi-automatic 22LRs, and 44 Magnum rifles. We have had to put exceptions on our Range Orders to cater for them. I believe there are other ranges in Vic that charge more than we do, and we may decide to increase the rate soon.

I'd advise getting an ABN if you don't have one. Govt accounts payable people will not bend to suit the supplier - you have to comply with them. But I should add that the field people have always been good to deal with.

higginsdj

#5 Postby higginsdj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:25 am

Canberra's range and clubhouse are rented out by various private organisations (demo's for military and police), the army, police, schools, state teams, SSAA and other shooting organisations. For first time users it is a negotiation process. The cost will vary from range to range as the cost of operating those ranges will vary considerably.

Other than insurance, you need to make sure you know exactly what they intend to do on your range. How many shooters, how many rounds, what ranges, what type of targets, what types of firearms and calibres and power factors used. Just because they may be a government organisation does not mean that they can do whatever they like - they are still bound by your range restrictions and can be sanctioned for breaking those restrictions.

Cheers

David

Bart

#6 Postby Bart » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 am

Hi All

Thanks for replies so far; I will clarify the situation further:
I have been approached by the Training Officer of the Riverland (SA) Police as he wants to conduct training for Murray Mallee LSA Officers. They will provide their own equipment and targets.
Our range has Police Firearms Training Approval under the Recognised Ranges section of the SA Firearms Act & Regs.

Thanks, Bart

DannyS

#7 Postby DannyS » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Hi Bart, the Vic Police use the Smallbore range which is jointly owned by our rifle club and the Smallbore club, rent was $1000 per annum but at a meeting a couple of months ago it was decided to double that due in part to increased usage.

Cheers
Danny
You might as well be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

Cliff Austen

#8 Postby Cliff Austen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Bart, Nowra Rifle Club is rented on a regular basis to Police, Navy Corrective Services etc.
This year our range is utilised 350 out of 365 days.
For details contact our secretary at sec@nowrarifleclub.com
Cheers
Cliff Austen - President NRC Inc.

Bart

#9 Postby Bart » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Cliff Austen wrote:Bart, Nowra Rifle Club is rented on a regular basis to Police, Navy Corrective Services etc.
This year our range is utilised 350 out of 365 days.
For details contact our secretary at sec@nowrarifleclub.com
Cheers
Cliff Austen - President NRC Inc.

Been in contact with your secretary, Graham, his assistance much appreciated; thank you Cliff

Thanks all for your responses, Bart

Tim L

#10 Postby Tim L » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:50 pm

How did you go with this Bart.
I ask because I see many ranges that tie themselves up with so many restrictions they become virtually unusable.
Did you need to get into the Nth degree of detail of what they were going to do as Higginsdj suggested, or go through the insurance documentation Razer mentioned?

Bart

#11 Postby Bart » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:40 pm

I will only be meeting with the Training Sergeant in the New Year to work the details

Return to “General Forum”