checkering service

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Pete N

checkering service

#1 Postby Pete N » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:11 pm

G'day all

Pete N from the north coast NSW here. First post for me. Been a member of my local rifle club for 16 years now - shooting Field Class, F Class (Std) and Target Rifle. Been a keen viewer of this website for over 4 years. 58 year old and retired after 36 years with the same corporation.
I am looking for advice/views on the provision of a checkering service.
Are there many "out there" doing this sort of work, and, I'm looking for your opinions on whether the service is worth providing (is there a market out there). I've been scratching timber stocks with hand tools for more than 15 years now and am providing a local service around this area.
Before I invest in more tooling, I'd want to know if spending more money is going to be well spent - or wasted. If its the latter, I'd prefer to spend it on consumables sent down the range.
If there is some interest, are there any tools out there gathering dust in shed - both handtools and the electric (NSK) type. I use Dembart, Gunline and carbide tools that used to be produced by Jon Doiron of J and R Engineering. (Unfortunately, Jon passed away last year following a serious skiing accident).

Yes, I know this is a target shooting forum, but most shooters I know that shoot on my range also have field rifles/guns

What are your thoughts, please

Regards and happy trails

Pete N

Return to “General Forum”