Why do you go to OPM's.

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Matt P

Why do you go to OPM's.

#1 Postby Matt P » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:14 pm

To All
Why do go to OPM's is it for the badges and medals, prizes to be with your mates and have a good time ??? Is it about winning and how important is winning ???
The reason I ask is I had a shooter come to me today and ask if FO grading had been thought about and his reason for it to be included was that all the OPM's he had attended had been won by the same small number of shooters and that if there were 2 grades it would encourage more shooters to attend prize shoots.
If the numbers are big enough grading FO would be a good thing but until the numbers are there it's not an option BUT if we can't encourage new shooters because they feel they don't have a chance the numbers may not increase enough to offer two grades, it's a catch 22.

What do you think ??
Matt P :)
BTW shot a 99 on the champ target @ 800m today, that completes the set a 99 @ every range. :lol:

bully_eye

#2 Postby bully_eye » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:41 pm

Just so you know he's human, he shot an 87 on the first stage!!!! :wink: lol

AlanF

#3 Postby AlanF » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:42 pm

I get the biggest pleasure out of improvement rather than winning. That can mean improvement in performance, or improvement in winning badges etc. From my observations, while there are a few who make a good effort, we generally could do more to encourage and help new shooters to improve.

I don't believe grading would be necessary if trophy values were tapered less steeply, and the prizelist extended further down the placings. The main problem as I see it with grading is that those in B-Grade are denied the opportunity of having a crack at the leading shooters. If you look at Canberra last year, nearly everyone had either a range win or some good range placings in either the leadup or Queens. Personally. I'd prefer to get a good placing in an open field than a win in B-Grade.

Thats an awesome score at 800m Matt =D> - I hope conditions were perfect - otherwise there's not a lot of hope for us mortals :cry:.

Alan

Tony Q

#4 Postby Tony Q » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 am

G’day Matt P

Of course its nice to win but its not the reason I or Mell go to OPM’s. We go for support and to catch up with other shooters and friends. I don’t use them as indicators of improvement as our little group of dedicated FS prize shooters improve at the same rate, we are pretty much all equally matched and it’s anyone’s game on the day. However you can improve yourself in other ways by just being with a group of good shooters.

But that’s only true for the better shooters or those who train regularly, the newcomer or average shooter is different. They may come and have a look out of interest but then they seem to want to get better before they do it again. Grading or a bigger prize pool could be the answer… from my view id say Grading is the way as it encourages rather than ignores new shooters.

I do encourage new shooters, and all shooters to come to OPM's as they are a good learning curve,

Queens shoots I view differently .. I go to win a badge but generally get far to stressed and get lost on the first day.. I must find a way to change that!!! :)

Great score at 800m mate … almost as good as Mell Q’s 98 with her 155-308 :) and thanks Bully_eye for showing us all he’s human after all.

However I would suggest, as he’s got all the ranges now, you introduce a 1/4moa target just for Matt’s use. :)
Last edited by Tony Q on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
MBRC F-Class standard ... and proud of it!

Tony Z

#5 Postby Tony Z » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:15 am

Matt,
My philosophy in shooting is the same as what i have in golf. It is a game you can play but never win. Somewhere sometime you will do well and the target (course) always wins. But it sure is nice to be off scatch.
Tony Z.

Paul Janzso

#6 Postby Paul Janzso » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:16 am

Hi Matt

I enjoy going to OPM's for fun, catching up with other shooters, learning tecniques to help improve my shooting.
Raven tought me a very worth while thing with wind reading and it has worked quite well for me, thanks Raven.
Getting a place is great at a OPM but I think seeing your improvement compared to other shooters is a buzz for me, hey Tony Q.

Cheers
PJ
:shock:
Time's a wasted wot's not spent shooti'n BARNARD 300WSM's

Matt P

#7 Postby Matt P » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:44 pm

Alan
Yeah conditions were pretty good 0- 0.5 moa R but I was shooting the pop gun (6BR) that's been re-chambered recently and the barrel is now 27" long , starting to think a 30" barrel isn't a must have.

Matt P

RAVEN

#8 Postby RAVEN » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm

I go to WIN WIN WIN and the more sandwich toasters I get the better :lol: :lol:
Now I will be serious
firstly well done matt the best I have done is 97 and the relay prior was 84 Humm something in that!
I would not like to see grading maybe when there are 50+FO at OPM then maybe but I would say that the more competitors there are the more prize placing there would be.

I go to OPM's to pit my self against the top guns winning is great but being part of the comp is best I love the different locations & range characteristics and I am always learning something about them and learn lots from other competitors some go some bad the friendships that are made are great to being in a group of like mined ppl with the same passion for what we do! :D
I also like seeing new ppl to the sport and watching them improve to a point :lol: the point behind me :lol: :lol:
The SA queens is held in October and i'll usually be looking forward to the next one the day after its all over and I have come last or near to plenty of times!
Cheers
RB

Ken L

Re: Why do you go to OPM's.

#9 Postby Ken L » Mon May 01, 2006 7:48 am

[quote="Matt P"]To All

The reason I ask is I had a shooter come to me today and ask if FO grading had been thought about and his reason for it to be included was that all the OPM's he had attended had been won by the same small number of shooters and that if there were 2 grades it would encourage more shooters to attend prize shoots.
quote]

One of the reasons I have stopped going to the number of OPM's that I did in the past has been the number of times I have overheard some say
" If I had known that So & So were going to be here I wouldn't have bothered to come" So I have concluded that after many years of promoting F class in the north of the state that I was doing more harm than good. Now I only go if I am sure that there is a good chance that I won't win and that there will be some keen competition to enjoy. As such that loosing Inverell by a point in the 2 day agg was a great shoot. I dont realy need another clock or another set of glasses, coasters, mini tool kit etc. I was happy enough to win my entry fee back and a bit towards the petrol bill.

Regards
Ken L

RAVEN

#10 Postby RAVEN » Mon May 01, 2006 9:38 am

If I had known that So & So were going to be here I wouldn't have bothered to come

Hi Ken I Know this type of thinking exists and hopefully it is in the minority
Just generalising here that type of competitors victories IMO are hollow as the only go to the shoots they can win and I am sure they will never improve!
And I would be against catering for this way of thinking.

Cheers
RB :)

AlanF

#11 Postby AlanF » Mon May 01, 2006 12:46 pm

RAVEN wrote:
...And I would be against catering for this way of thinking...

Richard,

If there are shooters who are having a temporary slump, then I agree we shouldn't be catering for them. However if there are some who think they'll never have a chance of winning in top company, then we should be more concerned. I believe we can help them in two ways; firstly the top experienced shooters can give helpful technical advice, and secondly we can ensure that that the rules are not designed to guarantee the top shooters will win every time. In my experience in F-Open, most top shooters are prepared to help those who are struggling. As far as having rules which give them a chance, that's what we can do something about now. Varying weather conditions help in this regard, but is it enough?

Alan

RAVEN

#12 Postby RAVEN » Mon May 01, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi Alan maybe the occasional handicap shoot but U know were this will end up I think the type of thinking we are referring to is not to be encouraged.
Maybe the OPM could have the major prize off gun and some others presented for say handicap there will always be those that try as hard as they can and will never reach the top I have seen FB shooters when presented with a badge say this took me 30years to get.
Sometimes success comes easily to some and others never do achieve the ultimate goal and I think this has got to do with were one sets the bar :idea:
Cheers
RB

Tony Z

#13 Postby Tony Z » Mon May 01, 2006 6:54 pm

And then there are the days like today. Went to a club Fly shoot to see how good me and my new 280 AI FO barrel is in competition. Well it never ceases to amaze me how little i know about reading conditions and taking note of what the sighter is telling you and where the wind flags were that gave you that sighter position. As you can imagine i got my ass well and truly dusted. These are the days when one sits and wonders why one does go to a competition at all. But then theres always the lure of the next shoot :)
One thing i can say for most of the shooters i know, we are a patient lot.
Tony Z.

jerryatric

#14 Postby jerryatric » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm

well i know there are people out ther u cant see the fun side in sports . but i entered my very first competition last year - maryborough masters shoot - & i can tell u i will be back again this year - i had so much fun & learnt how things are run - 90% of the shooters where helpfull & even had a bit of a joke around . to top it all off i even took 2 medals home - 2nd place at 300 yrds & best shooter in my age group -- f class standard .i say have a go but have fun doing it .

ned kelly

#15 Postby ned kelly » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:02 pm

G'Day all,
regardless of whether the match is Fclass or BR, I know which shooters (I THINK........?) I'm equal to and those I have to chase to be competitve. I personally consider I've had a good weekend if I'm somewhere in between. You want to know that you have not shot poorly and that you have been a tough competitor. Jeez you've got to make your peers EARN their well deserved accolades!

Naturally the closer you finish to those who your chasing the better!

But the main draw card is the social aspect, catching up and chewing the fat with your peers and friends (hopefully one and the same) between relays and after the shoot. To see who's shooting what etc.

In BR for example we meet at a local pub/diner/restaurant to re-shoot the day/talk BS or ask tech question and debate issues and rules, makes for a great time and is much anticipated part of the weekend. I dont know if this occurs in F class (I suspect it does), but it sure would be a great idea to promote to new shooters to engage them in the culture, make them feel that they belong......maybe a BBQ & shoot/training weekend????

I'm waffling , too much red wine, me thinks............where is that cask anyway!

Cheerio Ned

Return to “General Forum”