Oh No, Another newbie

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

RAVEN

#16 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 am

I did not get to see what you delete BillyBushCook

Some interesting comments here seeing that there has been a huge discussion about new membership recently and the attitude of some ppl
I would be interested to know why target shooting came about
But then again I know and it wasn't training to shoot goats was it Barry & Tom
We have all moved on from there!

Anyone pretty much regardless of what other passion they may have should be encouraged.
I also have a hunting background but time to get away became difficult and target shooting fitted the bill and now is my main passion.
Using your target shoot to become a better field shooter should be encouraged don't you think.

RB :)

AlanF

#17 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:27 am

There's a lot of F-Class shooters who hunt or at least used to hunt. Some of us know enough about both hunting and rifle accuracy to know what distance you can reasonably expect to get a one shot kill. Most of us prefer to show our long range prowess on targets, and if we hunt, then its done at much shorter distances. This has two key advantages (a) less (ideally zero) wounded animals (b) people actually believe that you can shoot accurately at long range if you get a good score. I see some of these online videos of rediculously long hits on animals, and the first thought is, how many animals were wounded for every kill. You never see videos of them!

Alan

RAVEN

#18 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am

I agree Alan
Target shooting sports allow people to gain a realistic view on what is required to shooting long range. Also hone their skills for when they go to the field.
And as a responsible hunter a clean dispatch should always be the main aim.
Encouraging new ppl to the rifle range is another the forum is a conduit to what type of people you may meet if you decided to visit and some of the elitist comment IMO in not conducive to THAT!
:)
Last edited by RAVEN on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Southcape

#19 Postby Southcape » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am

Welcome to the sport Mick.

We will no doubt meet on a range at some point in time. :)
Linda

BillyBushCook

#20 Postby BillyBushCook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:52 am

Alan,
Precisely why I limit myself to around 500 ATM.
Plenty of accuracy & energy at that range, plenty of energy left at 800 too from what Ivé personally seen.

Yes,
For me, target shooting has always been just practice for the real thing.

Having said that, I do enjoy long range shooting in general & always have, I regularily plink with the air rifle at 200m & I only shoot at Elec, paper or steel targets beyond 500 because of the issues that Alan has raised.

For now, let's just forget the "H" word Hey? :D

Touchy, touchy!
Mick.

BillyBushCook

#21 Postby BillyBushCook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Not me-- live and let live.

So your a vegetarian, good for you :)

Mick.

Barry Davies

#22 Postby Barry Davies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Yep.

AlanF

#23 Postby AlanF » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Mick,

Despite everything I said, I'm not at all anti-hunting (enjoy a bit of venison occasionally). When I was younger and fitter, was a very keen hunter myself. But at long range, far better to suffer a hit in the 5 ring than to get a gut shot.

Alan :)

TOM

#24 Postby TOM » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Billy, AlanF will be the first to tell you he has on more than one occasion moved a topic or post to the members only section which he sees unfit for the general public in a bid to keep things a little bit more civilized and to keep our image as target shooters cleaner.

Am I touchy or offended by your comment? No! Merely trying to preserve an image Mate. As target shooters, most of us see this as very important, no offence should be taken.

BillyBushCook

#25 Postby BillyBushCook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:20 pm

TOM wrote: As target shooters, most of us see this as very important, no offence should be taken.

None taken,
Of the couple of negative comments, none were derogatory or malicious.

Simple case of when in Rome.............

It does highlight why you guys are not getting new people as prolifically as you would like though!

Ivé struck the Holier than thou crowd in Bench Rest circles too, the benches at Seaham SSAA are a good example.
Thankfully I have quite a thick skin :D

Funny though, because as I said in my first post, the TR & F Class guys at Cessnock were very welcoming & even a little suprised when I put some runs on the board, in fact my very first sighting shot on that range was the X ring in a freezing cold, howling Southerly :D
I think at first they were a little woried about the new guy taking out one of thier Elec target sensors, it broke the ice quite nicely.

Cheers, Mick.

RAVEN

#26 Postby RAVEN » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Funny though, because as I said in my first post, the TR & F Class guys at Cessnock were very welcoming & even a little suprised when I put some runs on the board, in fact my very first sighting shot on that range was the X ring in a freezing cold, howling Southerly Very Happy
I think at first they were a little woried about the new guy taking out one of thier Elec target sensors, it broke the ice quite nicely.

No surprise there Billy that happens a lot a few bucks to the marker and anything is possible :lol: :lol: :lol:
RB

bruce moulds

#27 Postby bruce moulds » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm

mick, i built a 7mmstw for long range hunting.
with it i started fclass.
have never looked back.
keep safe,
bruce.
"SUCH IS LIFE" Edward Kelly 11 nov 1880
http://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM

OuttaAmmo

#28 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Barry Davies wrote:Not me-- live and let live.

But do you really?
Like, you do not use fly spray, have ever set a mouse trap, or never use leather (belts, boots, clothing, saddles, bridles, cricket balls, footballs, car seats, lounges, rifle slings, front bag, rear bags), wear Akubras or ever been fishing, with bait?

BillyBushCook

#29 Postby BillyBushCook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

Another thing that led my to F Class was that I had a good mate at high school who won the Queens as a junior while we were still in high school.
I also grew up just a K or two from the Range at Greta here in the Hunter Valley, from memory it was one of the few 1500yd ranges around. We'd often spend the afternoon there watching the proceedings as a Teen.

Any way, I lost contact with this mate when his family moved back to Perth & would like to try & find him again.

He would be in his mid 40's
His father was an avid Full Bore shooter & stationed here at Singleton Army base in the early to mid 80's

His name is Mark O'Farrell
His Father's name was frank I think.

Do any of you WA people's know him?
If you do, could you tell him.......Buzz is looking for Big Dog......pls?

Cheers, Mick.

Bindi2

#30 Postby Bindi2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Target shooting came before hunting with my old man. If you could not hiy the target you did not go hunting till you could. Waste of ammo etc.
Some of you blokes need to have a look at the big picture and realize you are now the mentors for shooting in general.

Return to “General Forum”