Rifle Scope repairer/re-conditioner

For general announcements, and anything which does not fit into one of the categories below.

Moderator: Mod

Razer

Rifle Scope repairer/re-conditioner

#1 Postby Razer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Does any body know of a good repairer/re-conditioner of optical sights?
There used to be one at Harden, NSW years ago who worked on all optical instruments from theodolites to rifle scopes, but, he is no longer available.
I get asked this question quite often, as some scopes, with no Oz agents, are just not cost effective to get repaired in US by the time freight both ways, plus refurbish costs are considered.
Tasco have a facility in Sydney(Brookvale) but I don't think that they would touch anything that was not in their 'brand list'. They have, in the past, serviced my Tasco hunting scopes with excellent results.
Brand of scopes being asked about are Weaver and Leupold.
Thank you,
Ray.

ratshot

#2 Postby ratshot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Optical Restorers. in Westlake QLD 0407007116 Malcolm Eames. let us know how you go... cheers Paul.

Razer

#3 Postby Razer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Much appreciated Paul, I will pass information on.
I have a couple of hard worked Leupolds sitting in the cupboard that should be checked, so might even get one done to get a cost,etc.
Many thanks
Ray.

Lynn Otto

#4 Postby Lynn Otto » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Is there something actually wrong with the Leupolds or are you just wanting them checked? Leupolds have a lifetime warranty so if they are broken look at sending them back to Leupold.

Sending one back is something I am about to do, I have recently had our first ever scope failure and it did it in fine style...to my detriment. :D

RobH

#5 Postby RobH » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I have recently sent a scope to Leupold for check and repair. No drama. Cost about $45 over $25 back. Turn around about 3 weeks. No charge for work involved. Make initial contact by e-mail. Go direct not through Australian Agents.
RobH

flatlina

#6 Postby flatlina » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 pm

I sent a 24x Target scope back to leupold but thru Nioa. Have been waiting a couple of months now. Previously sent them back myself. A lesson learnt.

Regards
john

Razer

#7 Postby Razer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I actually sent a VX111 8.5-25X50 back to Leupold 5 years ago as it was the only one that I have ever had fail. It failed after the first shot and wouldn't hold elevation. As I had bought it direct from the US I was not too keen on returning it through Nioa as suggested by Leupold, but, when I explained the situation that was in-play at that time, they just said to send it direct,(postage $40).
Three weeks later I received a brand new VX3, no further charges so I could not expect much better service than that. :D
The old ones that I was thinking of getting checked are not target scopes so don't warrant the cost of postage (to me, that is)
My initial enquiry was for a shooter with a Weaver, but I threw in Leupold just in case there was some one in Oz.
As Rob said about Leupold, go direct, do not stop at N*#*, Um, Australian Agent/Importer.
Ray.

Sam Walker

#8 Postby Sam Walker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 am

flatlina wrote:I sent a 24x Target scope back to leupold but thru Nioa. Have been waiting a couple of months now. Previously sent them back myself. A lesson learnt.

Regards
john

It could be well worth your time following it up with them to check if it's been sent yet !
Sam

johnk

#9 Postby johnk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Correct. They have been known to hold repairs back until they have sufficient to get a good shipping deal.

flatlina

#10 Postby flatlina » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:51 pm

They did hold it back until they had enuf to warrant sending them.

Regards
john

Sam Walker

#11 Postby Sam Walker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

They should loan you a scope if they aren't going to get it sent promptly....Leupold's US customers wouldn't put up with waiting a few months before sending it...
Sam

OuttaAmmo

#12 Postby OuttaAmmo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Just a little off topic here but Malcolm Eames in QLD is an optical restorer who specializes in Pecars. His contact details can be found on BRT's site under special services so he may do competition scopes too.

victor

#13 Postby victor » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:32 pm

OuttaAmmo wrote:Just a little off topic here but Malcolm Eames in QLD is an optical restorer who specializes in Pecars. His contact details can be found on BRT's site under special services so he may do competition scopes too.
thank you OuttaAmmo new to here today and learnt something allready.got a pecar 4x36 in also today and need advise.will certainely contacting malcolm eames.... :D

DannyS

#14 Postby DannyS » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:23 pm

Welcome to the Forum Victor, there is a wealth of knowledge out there, it is just a matter of tapping into it.

cheers
Danny

Return to “General Forum”